Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blew my 07' trans...maybe start a club?

24K views 119 replies 12 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back story: Bought the car 2-years ago from the dealer with only 20k on the odometer. Didn't even get a mile off the lot, and the brake pedal pressed to the floor. Turned around, went back in and demanded they fix it. The lead tech told me I am "...not used to performance brake calipers" (funny - considering I also drive an 06' Evo IX and VW R32 which both have monster brakes). After convincing him to take a look, the master cylinder was bad.

Fast forward to 55k miles, heard a funny noise like the exhaust was rubbing in the rear. I found that odd considering I have the Kart Boy 15mm hangars. Turns out, my rear diff exploded. Thankfully, SoA covered that.

Now at 67k on the clock, and was coming out of the parking garage at work. Shifted into 2nd heard a loud *clunk* and moving forward, sounded like someone threw a fork in the garbage disposal. I somehow made it home (I work 33-miles away by the way...), drained my trans, and found this little gem on the trans. plug -
Finger Nail Hand Fashion accessory Thumb

Now here is where I sit as of today -
Vehicle Auto part Automobile repair shop Car Engine

...and here are the goodies either installed or waiting to be installed -
Auto part Yellow Clutch

Yellow

I decided to go with the PAR gear set (1st-gear straight cut and 2-4th are helical) for 2-reasons:
  • Highly recommended by the gents @ AndrewTech
  • Was available immediately - PPG had a nice wait list

I have scheduled a road-trip this Thursday (September 22nd) to drop off my trans. and hopefully get it rebuilt same day from AndrewTech.

See less See more
#110 ·
Just wanted to update this that the transmission is STILL smooth like butta'. I think it's safe to say PAR/AndrewTech may have figured out my issue(s). Still want to put it through a track session or two though, and considering my upgrade path will not be near 650bhp this trans should outlast my ownership of the vehicle.

#111 ·
Sooo I lied...issue not figured out. Was cruising to work in 3rd gear, heard a similar *thud* then lost 3rd-5th. Called AndrewTech, which then contacted PAR, and was told they would take care of me. Pretty sure it's the same shaft that I snapped the 1st time it broke. Just sucks as I think this is the 4th gearset I have gone through. My Stage 2 is one torque beast!

#113 ·
Yes, they cover the rebuild of the trans. But, it's a double edged sword. My downtime has been ~3-4 weeks, and AndrewTech has to eat it on the hourly rate that PAR covers for the rebuild and misc. labor. The last time they replaced the gearset, they also did the labor of pulling the trans and re-installing it. Considering I only have 1st and 2nd, not sure if they want to tow the WRX PA<-->MD (130 mile trip one-way), or they are going to ask me to get it pulled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.