Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blew my 07' trans...maybe start a club?

24K views 119 replies 12 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back story: Bought the car 2-years ago from the dealer with only 20k on the odometer. Didn't even get a mile off the lot, and the brake pedal pressed to the floor. Turned around, went back in and demanded they fix it. The lead tech told me I am "...not used to performance brake calipers" (funny - considering I also drive an 06' Evo IX and VW R32 which both have monster brakes). After convincing him to take a look, the master cylinder was bad.

Fast forward to 55k miles, heard a funny noise like the exhaust was rubbing in the rear. I found that odd considering I have the Kart Boy 15mm hangars. Turns out, my rear diff exploded. Thankfully, SoA covered that.

Now at 67k on the clock, and was coming out of the parking garage at work. Shifted into 2nd heard a loud *clunk* and moving forward, sounded like someone threw a fork in the garbage disposal. I somehow made it home (I work 33-miles away by the way...), drained my trans, and found this little gem on the trans. plug -
Finger Nail Hand Fashion accessory Thumb

Now here is where I sit as of today -
Vehicle Auto part Automobile repair shop Car Engine

...and here are the goodies either installed or waiting to be installed -
Auto part Yellow Clutch

Yellow

I decided to go with the PAR gear set (1st-gear straight cut and 2-4th are helical) for 2-reasons:
  • Highly recommended by the gents @ AndrewTech
  • Was available immediately - PPG had a nice wait list

I have scheduled a road-trip this Thursday (September 22nd) to drop off my trans. and hopefully get it rebuilt same day from AndrewTech.

See less See more
#57 ·
Hrm, I will re-bleed my clutch again then and see if the whine is still there. I have also noticed that 3rd gear is as loud as 1st. And when in 1st gear, the car wants to stall out when your foot comes barely up off the floor. I know the engagement point on the pedal is a higher when driving. Hopefully, bleeding it again helps. If not, may have to adjust my clutch pedal.

#60 ·
I tested the TOB per the Subaru manual's instructions before putting everything back together and it seemed ok. I just think I need to re-bleed the clutch better. Will do easier steps first before taking the trans back off...

#74 ·
Update: Have about 300 miles on this set up and still love it. I think I may need to adjust my clutch pedal though. It grabs real low and either I am not used to the straight cut gear, or awful with the new clutch. When I go into first and come off the pedal, I gas it, and the car pretty much shudders onward. Hard to explain I guess, I don't smell clutch or anything so it's not like the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging or I am riding it. Other than this, the Rex drives great. Shifting is smoother than I thought and can kick it up to ~70mph in 2nd gear. Still waiting on the 500-mile break in period for the clutch and brakes before I really start to romp on it.

#79 ·
An update for this thread: I do not recommend PAR!

After ~5,000 miles on my PAR gearset the input shaft broke (this is what I was told by AndrewTech). Very surprising considering I am only a Stage 2.

Before this event, I had a grind from 3rd to 4th gear. I was constantly e-mailing and calling AndrewTech in regards to my grind issue and was not given a resolution. It was recommended that I try 2-3 different gear oils and that was getting expensive. Then, my input shaft broke. PAR did replace it, but it did put me off the road for over a month. I am finally back on the road and still the same issue, the grind from 3rd to 4th.

Considering the money and resources spent for this rebuild I will not be recommending this gearset. The warranty is great and all, but it's very inconvenient being out of commission, then back on the road with the original issue remaining. Not only is it frustrating, but it speaks volumes to me about their level of customer service. If/when this breaks, I am doing a 6-spd swap.

#81 ·
Not sure right now. I am going to take a drive down to Maryland and see what AndrewTech can do for me. I understand that trying to describe the issue, sound, etc. can be difficult to translate or resolve on the phone and/or e-mail. I would not sell it, even after a 3rd rebuild, I don't want bad juju.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.