Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blew my 07' trans...maybe start a club?

24K views 119 replies 12 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back story: Bought the car 2-years ago from the dealer with only 20k on the odometer. Didn't even get a mile off the lot, and the brake pedal pressed to the floor. Turned around, went back in and demanded they fix it. The lead tech told me I am "...not used to performance brake calipers" (funny - considering I also drive an 06' Evo IX and VW R32 which both have monster brakes). After convincing him to take a look, the master cylinder was bad.

Fast forward to 55k miles, heard a funny noise like the exhaust was rubbing in the rear. I found that odd considering I have the Kart Boy 15mm hangars. Turns out, my rear diff exploded. Thankfully, SoA covered that.

Now at 67k on the clock, and was coming out of the parking garage at work. Shifted into 2nd heard a loud *clunk* and moving forward, sounded like someone threw a fork in the garbage disposal. I somehow made it home (I work 33-miles away by the way...), drained my trans, and found this little gem on the trans. plug -
Finger Nail Hand Fashion accessory Thumb

Now here is where I sit as of today -
Vehicle Auto part Automobile repair shop Car Engine

...and here are the goodies either installed or waiting to be installed -
Auto part Yellow Clutch

Yellow

I decided to go with the PAR gear set (1st-gear straight cut and 2-4th are helical) for 2-reasons:
  • Highly recommended by the gents @ AndrewTech
  • Was available immediately - PPG had a nice wait list

I have scheduled a road-trip this Thursday (September 22nd) to drop off my trans. and hopefully get it rebuilt same day from AndrewTech.

See less See more
#29 ·
I'd pay a visit...seriously. I'm the annoying ass customer at CBRD that shows up weekly to see progress if I know any new part is in or it should be coming together soon. Its how I provide you guys with pictures and I get clear cut answers to what is going on. I'm sure it puts a foot in there ass too, but hey...they've grown to really love me at CBRD because I don't bust anyone's balls and am not a prick. I just like to see progress and I can talk cars to them. So, it keeps the wheel turning and I grew a rapport with Mark and Chad.

#30 ·
Yeah, I'd swing by frequently to check things out in person, but it's a good hour or so drive from where I live and I need to watch how many miles I put on my rental car to avoid extra fees. Working 6 days a week with a decently long commute doesn't help my cause. I've also heard horror stories about places fing up annoying customers' cars, so I'm trying to avoid that too. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly when the gears were ordered. I've been told several different things by two different people. During my last email conversation, I was told that a set of gears have, indeed, been ordered specifically for my car and that it shouldn't be much longer. I've been pretty patient so far, but I'm not sure how much longer I can last.

#32 ·
I'm patient and not a ass by any means. I hear you though...that does suck that you can't show up. CBRD is pretty laid back and they don't care if you cross the belted off area and take a look at things if they know you. I don't rush them and if they say they're sorry for it taking a while. I always tell them that is fine and I expect some problems to arise from time to time. Like I said, if you get to know the people working there and your not Joe the jack@ss. Then they will know your not there to bust their balls and they will know you just like to see what is going on from time to time. A good customer and tuner relationship never hurts if both parties are willing to come together as a team to improve the experience and end result.

Ya chad is cool as hell. Spent around 12 hrs with him while he tuned my bros evo and he told me ### to do with the wrx
Unfortunately, I've done more business with Chad then most customers. But, believe when I say its a welcoming environment and Chad will tell you from his experience what has and what has not worked for him. So, he's not going to bullshit you just to sell a product. But, in the same token he'll work with you if you want to ignore his advice and do things your way. I've even taken rides with Chad in other people's car that he is working on. :sneaky: So, I think it's pretty easy to see why I continue to do business with him.

I'm glad to hear you've had a simular experience with him. Sorry to hear about your car though.

#33 ·
Got the call from AndrewTech that my trans is officially done! Now am I anxiously awaiting the call from the freight shipping courier to schedule a time to drop it off. It should be 1-business day according to them. They really did me a favor and covered the cost of shipping due to the number of issues they ran into between customs and certain parts (Just over 1-month of me being off the road). I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a rebuild whether it be stock or for a built trans based on the customer service alone.

Will update you guys when I get it back up and running!

#35 ·
Paul: Sandra gets to be the gineau pig on the PAR gears. LOL. I really hope they are what they say they are.

Sandra: Congrats on getting it back. Let us know how they gears work out for you. Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

#38 ·
^poor thing.... hahahhaha

Kinda makes you wonder how long it would have taken YOU personally to send the tranny off after you got the gears.

I give you props for your patience... I would have been serving time right about now.

#39 ·
No kidding! I was calling AndrewTech every other day wanting an update. Thank goodness they were patient with my impatience. If I lived closer, I probably would have showed up randomly as well. Just got the call today from the freight courier! Should be here tomorrow, I will be sure to take some pics, but not like you will be able to see the inside or anything.

#41 ·
so, installing everything back now and had a question. When all the bolts are on bell housing the clutch fork does not budge. Its pushed all the way forward which means the clutch is engaged. Shouldn't I be able to push it towards the back of the car?

#43 · (Edited)
Yes, the 07 is a push style. But the pivot fork is pushed all the way forward and will not push back with me manually pushing.

EDIT: Figured it out. I re-installed the slave cylinder and pushed the clutch down, and voila! The pivot fork pushes back. I guess I am weaksauce :(

Now to figure out how to get the axles back in...

#44 ·
#48 ·
LOL, good one!

So, drove it a few miles yesterday to get used to everything and wow...I will need to get use to everything. I still need to button up a few things, and I think I may need to bleed my clutch more, but other than that it drives and sounds like a beast. Went to get groceries yesterday and driving through the parking lot in 1st will get you a lot of stares.

#49 ·
People probably saying to themselves, "Poor girl doesn't realize she needs power steering fluid." more than likely. In any case congrats on getting the car back on the road and hope you enjoy it.

#50 ·
Let a mustang fan ride with you in it. If the gears whine like mine do, they will be telling you that your tranny is on the way out. I had several of my mustang buddies telling me that I bought bad gears already, lol.

#51 ·
Do you get the whining when you are in neutral? It's faint, but I hear it when I am sitting at a light and foot is off the clutch. I guess my next upgrade is sound deadner + system lol.

My friend (Who has a PPG gear'd Forester XT) told me that when he wants to have some fun he has to creep up ninja like with his foot on the clutch up to the light.

#54 ·
Lol Matt. I dont get any noise either at neutral/clutch pushed in. But man do they whine when you decide to get on it. Had a buddy of mine ride with me right after I got out of the shop, he thought I put a super charger on it. My gears are louder than his s/c on his car.

#55 ·
The turbo on my car is just barely louder than the PPGs lol (it sounds like its sucking in the entire world). But the damn gears are even louder than both wastegates fully open when you really stand on it but I must say the ability to just dump clutch with anti-lag on and spin through first and second from a light is pretty damn cool and definitely worth the noise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.