Subaru WRX Forum banner

AWD conversion RWD

12K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  texasmr2 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had converted there awd to rwd? i was thinking of getting myself another tranny and taking the front differencial out and make my car a rwd. but not sure if it would cause any major problem. the two ways i no how to make it rwd if to either remove front diff. or front axles. i think removing the front diff is easier but too much work. or by removing the axles, but not sure how that would affect the car. like handling, and stuff. if i didnt have a major loan for my car i would get myself a rwd and make my life easier.
dont get me wrong. i love my wrx with the awd. but cant get much fun out of it unless i'm flooring it or taking the curves fast. and around here, too many cops to do anything. cant go too fast, and the curves are about 20 mins away. and still kinda not sure where the cops are. pulse, if going to fast, either getting off the road and fall into deep diches or get stuck between trees or plowing down all the small trees and end up in the diches. i got stuck in between to trees last winter already so i'm not planing to do it again.
but anyways if anyone knows how to convert awd to rwd, please help. otherwise i'll see if i can save up a bit to get a rwd car and make everyones life easier. but if i could, i'd love to convert my ride to rwd for summer and back to awd for winter.:) i figure to get a new tranny about 1.2k and take the front diff out but not sure. so need help making choice to convert my ride. thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
i know a guy in portland,or that is doing a conversion on his bugeye right now.... he put a STi rear end it and a chevy turbo 400 auto tranny in it.... its all custem work.... he works at a place called PRE.... Is where ive got some work done to my car and had it dynoed.... last time i was there it was still a work in progress im going home for a couple of weeks on the 1st of june 2 weeks i cant wait.... ill try and get some pics and post em up here.... its really bad.... while it was still awd he had it on the dyno and before he had it at 100% thratall he blow the rear end up.... he put a new rear end in broke it in put it on the dyno and again broke the dyno.... the pervise passes he made 300whp at 80% thratall....

#8 ·
i was wondering if anyone had converted there awd to rwd? i was thinking of getting myself another tranny and taking the front differencial out and make my car a rwd.............. QUOTE]

Don't know any one thats tried it, so who knows how the long the drive train would hold up to the increased stress an ~ 50% rear diff, axles and maybe the trans...........

Here ya go 2wd Conversion Parts > 5 Speed RWD Center Diff Sleeve

#10 ·
i was wondering if anyone had converted there awd to rwd? i was thinking of getting myself another tranny and taking the front differencial out and make my car a rwd.............. QUOTE]

Don't know any one thats tried it, so who knows how the long the drive train would hold up to the increased stress an ~ 50% rear diff, axles and maybe the trans...........

Here ya go 2wd Conversion Parts > 5 Speed RWD Center Diff Sleeve
Rocket rally doesnt sell this anymore. But i want to try it out. Anywhere else i can get this from? I tried googlind but to no avail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.