Another Clutch Thread, and some WRX love. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx54 is an unknown
Another Clutch Thread, and some WRX love.

I'd like to welcome myself to the ranks!

I just fulfilled a seven year dream of owning a WRX! Ever since I first drooled over the pages of the 2002 WRX ads, I have felt a strange emptyness in my life. My blood has been coursing with desire! But now, at last, after drudgerous years of waiting, Now! I am finally sitting in the pretty blue wagon I practiced with for hours on the little flash player racing game in 2002!

She has aged some, Emi has, and needs some love and doctoring. But not really; she is fine as ever! She just needs some new brake pads. Windshield wipers. Some A/C work (I'd forgotten how hot it is in Tennessee).

And a new clutch.

You wouldn't believe what a let down it is after all these years to brace yourself, set your teeth, mash down on the trottle, and immediately granny shift at 2800 rpm.

So I need some advice. Quick. So I can resume my dream of quickness.

Do I get this done or do I live in the garage for a week? How much do people charge for labor? Can I watch? What parts are the absolute best? Do I need a new flywheel? What about a master cylinder? How do I mod my ECU so I can really try out this new part? Do I really have to granny shift for 4000 miles after installation? What is Stage II?

Arrgh!

I feel like I have a pregnant wife!

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

I'm sure you'll find some, if not all, of your answers in that link. I'm glad to hear that you finally got your realistic dream car.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx54 View Post
Do I get this done or do I live in the garage for a week? How much do people charge for labor? Can I watch? What parts are the absolute best? Do I need a new flywheel? What about a master cylinder? How do I mod my ECU so I can really try out this new part? Do I really have to granny shift for 4000 miles after installation? What is Stage II?
Help?
you are asking alot of questions that the answers are easily available by using the search feature...but to help you out a little

1. this is up to you, how mechanically inclined are you. if you have done decent mechanical work before i would say tackle it yourself. there is a step by step guide on how to do it available on nasioc. ( the one which i used) but beware that a lack of mechanic tools can make this task very very difficult, and for some people impossible.

2. any good mechanic shop will usually chage about 100$ an hour for labor. the clutch is quoted to be a 7-8 hour job. Subaru quoted me for around $1,200 to $1,500. a private shop quoted me at 700$ to 800$ without parts.

3. depends on the shop

4. "absolute best" is relative, the absolute best clutch for a drag racing car is different than one for a tuner street car. furthermore, many of these absolute best parts would just be a waste of money as your car might not even reach their potential. On top of this, it is important to take into account you weak stock transmission. the rule of thumb is "stock tranny, stock clutch." exedy sells a OEM replacement that works great.

5. you would either need to get a new flywheel, or to get yours resurfaced (approx. 40$). I personally put a lightened flywheel in.

6. answer your own question, if your clutch wore down due to regular wear and tear, or abuse, you just need to replace the clutch. if it is wearing down too quickly and your not sure why, it is a good idea to troubleshoot, as your problem may be your cylinder.

7. there are a few ways to mod out your ecu. look up these three. cobb accessport, tatrix cable + romraider, delta utec. a tuning shop with an awd dno can also write you a custom map.

8. 4000 miles? thats seems like alot. usual break in for a stock style clutch is 800-1000 city miles. This means 1000 mile sof stop and go traffic situations. With easy smooth shifts during this time. it is ok to drive on the highway, but these miles wont count toward your total.

9. stage 2 is one of the "stages" you cars engine and thus performance can be at. stage 1 would be an ecu tune, while stage 2 is an ecu tune with a downpipe. when installing the clutch, the exhaust has to come out, so it would be easy to throw on a downpipe while you are there... however, make sure you are able to hold back your right foot, as you can quickly burn through that new clutch with the added power
#4 Old 06-26-2009, 08:26 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I was told 400 miles for my clutch break-in fyi

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx54 is an unknown
Thanks for the NASOIC link, man show. It's a challenge filtering through all the stuff available with out some pointers from guys who know!

04paulieWRX, thanks for the detailed answers! I did write out a lot of questions, but I was going for a sort of dramatic humor and didn't expect to get it all answered!

I'll be ordering parts today and this weekend...

Can anyone recommend some grippy brake pads?
#6 Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Check out the line that Hawk has to offer.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"