Subaru WRX Forum banner

4th gear grind scotty COCKTAIL question.

19K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  cooperwrx 
#1 ·
I have a 06 wrx salvage title with 30,000 on it and im getting a grind into 4th gear when I shift above about 3,000rpms. I have changed the tranny fluid and the oil had no little metal shavings or anything. I was just looking for opinions on the cocktail and if anyone knows where to find the redline lightweight shockproof stuff. i went to autozone and shucks oriely and walmart:) and they all didnt have it. is there anything that is a different brand that does the same thing? i also got a different brand instead of Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 it is 80w90 though. is that ok?

let me know, thanks.

#2 ·
You might want to avoid Uncle Scotty's Cocktail altogether. True, it may cure grinding issues and smooth out your shifting, but it's also been proven to turn acidic over time and that can be bad for your transmission internals too. Another option you might want to consider is the Andrewtech Cocktail: 3 Quarts Redline Shockproof + 1 Quart Motul Gear 300. Both can be found online.

What fluid did you use when you changed it the last time?

#4 · (Edited)
Andrewtech (them and DS1 motorsports are the "best" subaru tranny guys in the USA) swears by that cocktail and I have heard nothing but good things on NASIOC about it.

Personally, I just use straight Motul Gear 300 (Turn in Concepts/TIC recommends it) and it works great. I have over 80k miles on my tranny, 20k of which has been at 320whp/294wtrq. I have yet to see any shavings when draining my tranny fluid and do not have any grinding issues (knock on wood). Best fluid I have used (compared to Redline 75w90NS and Subaru Extra S).

#6 ·
I've been using Redline 75W-90NS in my transmission and Redline 75W-90 in my rear differential from 3,000-41,000 miles and haven't had any issues. I think I might switch to the Andrewtech Cocktail when I change the fluids again at 60,000 miles because I've heard nothing but good things about it too and I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.

02WRXbugeye: As far as whether or not it will solve your griding issues, I don't know. The guys at Andrewtech Automotive might know though, or you could just try it and see for yourself. Good luck!

#7 ·
Mat, formerly of 555 Motorsports (who worked in conjunction w/DS1) and I just talked the other day about my build. Part of which includes upgrading to PPG helical 1-4. Even with the upgrade he mentioned/suggested to use the andrewtech blend, so when I change out gear sets I will be using that also.

#11 ·
yeah i got a grind noise too from 3rd to 4th. just started happening alittle after i changed my trans fluid to what Subaru told me to use. i just ordered the cocktail from grimm which is.
1 Pennzoil Synchromesh Quart
2 Castrol Hypoy C 80w90
1 Redline Lightweight Shockproof
hope it runs okay! 49 shipped

#16 ·
I don't think I'd ever mix... The companies who create these fluids probably spent months if not longer perfecting the formulation... As what happened with USC, who knows what will happen with another type of cocktail? And not to dis anyone, but other than having a good initial outcome, what do the guys who create these cocktails actually know about them? Unless they are chemists I'd say no thank you...I just put in the Extra S on Friday morning...going to work today in the cold morning the car seemed to shift a little easier, but I haven't noticed much past that, I wasn't having any problems though...

#17 ·
i was going to switch my order from the cocktail to 3 qts of lightweight shockproof and buy the other qt of Quart Motul Gear 300 else where so i was looking on grimms website and i looked up the shockproof and it says "(not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). " is this true with the 04 wrx trans? dont want to put it in if its not good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.