Subaru WRX Forum banner

4EAT Aux Trans Cooler: Need Advice on Temp Gauge

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jackstand Johnny 
#1 ·
Hey everybody! Ive been on hiatus because my lifes been super crazy hectic but its good to be back! So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Hayden bar and plate 677 trans cooler. Ill be running it as an auxillary plumbed in series with my Koyo oem style rad and cooler. I also ordered a towing receiver and Ill be going in for my protune soon so Id like to keep my trans temp in check. Could you give me some advice on where to install the sensor for a trans temp sensor? Ive read one guy spliced a T fitting into the rubber hose after the 2nd cooler and 1 guy used an adapter that replaced His trans drain plug. Someone else suggested an oil filter sandwich adapter with a hole for a sensor.

The last option, the sandwich adapter is what I was thinking would be the most practical but I have no idea what threading the trans filter is so i cant find or order a sandwich adapter plate accordingly. Im pretty certain its the exact same as the engine oil filter but Im not sure if a sandwich plate adapter will work for the trans if the sandwich plates made for an engine oil filter, mainly because of the potential difference in diameter(tight seal and all that).

Im not at all against running a T fitting inline with the rubber cooler hose but I didnt know how solid that would be regarding leaks, though the cooler itself just uses barb fittings and the hose just pushes on. Im looking for something that will be in the most accurate position but also a practical location. 52mm gauge would be preferrable as Ill probably be buying or ,aking a 3 gauge pod for the dash clock location. So I need to not only pick a good gauge that isnt expensive, but the best way to install the sensor itself. As always, thank you all in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
drill and tap the transmisson is my game plan.

im doing one over the winter.

i have never thought of using a sandwich adapter on the transmisson filter. i do not think a normal one will fit and dont know if anyone makes one. but now you have peaked my interest. im gonna see if there are transmission filter sandwich plates.

or you could use the stock location temp sensor, but then you'll have some wiring to deal with the flashing light on your dash cluster.

what i would LOVE to figure out is how to get the AT TEMP dash light hooked up to the aftermarket temp sensor, and have it light up at a certain threshold.

#3 ·
i searched for abit....

an oil sandwich adapter can work as long as it fits. you'll need to measure dimensions to make sure everything is exact. then you can use a temp sensor in there as normal.

i could not find anything on making your drain plug a sensor adapter. but that sounds annoying as i change my trans fluid often.

(this is a homemade one, you can get manufactured ones)

this is apparently your best option to avoid drilling/tapping. put in-line like a coolant temp sensor in your coolant hose. put it in-line with the cooler inlet. you want to measure the hot trans oil coming from the engine to the cooler. you can even use 2 sensors and get an IN-OUT reading to determine the efficiency of your cooler. but if you only doing 1 sensor, you want to measure the hot oil coming out, not the cooled oil going in. the pressure is very low in the auto trans system. there should be no leaks. double up on clamps if your paranoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.