Subaru WRX Forum banner

30,000 Mile Service

28K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Hey guysIim getting close the big 30 so Ive been calling around to get prices for the 30k service. my local dealership wants $550 to do the service and reading the maintenance schedule it looks like its mostly inspections, brake fluid and an oil change.

Im planning on doing my own oil so that might save a few dollars but $550 still seems pricey to me.

I called my tuner just to see what they can do, they swap diff lube, swap trans fluid, flush the brakes and do all the inspections for $185. I'm going to take care of the engine oil myself ( fumoto valve for the win ) I have a Cobb SF Intake with the box so I will be cleaing my air filter with a KN recharge kit as well.

My question is there anything else that you guys do at 30k that's not on the service schedule? Maybe coolant flush? plugs? SS brake lines? I figure it will be on the lift already so I may as well take care of anything else that's needed while its up there.

#2 ·
I change every fluid in the car (brake, coolant, trans, diff, and oil), plugs, and all filters (cabin, fuel, air). Do it all yourself and save money. Plus you get a sense of accomplishment and security knowing you did it and its done right. Im at work right now but when I have more time ill get you a more detailed list.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Here is what i do for the 30k at our dealership w/ individual prices
oil and filter- 66.95
rotate and balance- 49.95
air filter- 22.00
cabin filter- 69.95
a/c refresher- 59.95
trans fluid- 79.95
front diff- 79.95
rear diff- 79.95
brake fluid flush- 99.95
fuel injection service- 79.95
throttle body cleaning- 79.95
total package- 563.95

all can be done yourself to save some moolah :)

#4 ·
Perfect,

Ill shoot my tuner a call and ask about a coolant flush. other than that I think my tuner had everything ready. I'm swapping the oil, air filter and cabin filter myself and Im planning on new tires soon so they will be balanced with the new rubber anyways. I talked to my tuner this morning ad he said he would pull a plug to check and see how they look. It sees alot of highway driving so I'm guessing plugs will probablly wait until 45k

@ Epictofer Whats an AC refresher? Is it just checking the pressure on the R134? or is there a special procedure to make the vents cleaner? I usually use clorox hospital grade disinfectant spray on my cabin air filter and run it on high for a few minutes to disinfect the system.

Thanks again guys

#5 ·
Basically we put the car on the lift and spray a disinfectant in the evaporator drain tube to kill any mold and mildew that me be growing inside the evap box in the dash. It smells nice too! Its a thick foam stuff that gets debris n such outta there as well. Then we spray a disinfectant spray into the vents under the hoos with the a/c on high to get the filter and vents, your half way there with the clorox stuff! :D

#6 ·
Thanks, Ill have to spray in the evap tube and the exterior vents. I never though to disinfect the outside of the system, I always figured that the cabin air filter was there to stop anything foreign, that and I live in California so we run windows down alot, kinda makes the whole thing mute : )

#7 ·
Here's a good thread on the 30k service that some clown on here made ROFL.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/30k-maintenance-how-much-did-co-t-you-25604/

Here's a list of what i buy when i do my own. Some things may vary slightly since yours is a third gen but you get the idea and maybe it will help a 02-07 WRX owner in the future. STI owners parts/fluids may vary slightly as well.

distilled water $1
Subaru cooling system conditioner SOA635071 $4
Subaru long life coolant SPA868V9210 $30
Redline water wetter RDL80204 $11
Shell rotella T6 gallon $24
K&N filter recharger kit 99-5050 $12
Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil RDL58404 $16 per quart X5 (for trans and rear diff)
NGK Iridium spark plug set of 4 LFR7AIX (one step colder) $27.88
Subaru fuel filter 42072FE0202 $80
Redline D4 ATF (for power steering) RDL 30504 $10.95
Subaru oil filter SUB15208AA12A $7
Fram fresh breeze cabin air filter CF10377 $17.95
Stoptech STR60 DOT4 brake fluid STP501.00002 $27
Redline fuel system cleaner RDL60103 $10.95

And some things that help the DIY'er

OTC subaru oil filter socket 15208AA12A $14.56
KTC 13mm rear diff socket AC301-13 $30
Assenmacher threaded oil funnel OFSU1042 $23
Lisle no spill coolant funnel LIS2480 $24
Torx T-70 transmission socket $18

I come up with a total of $343.73 for these parts alone and $453.29 with the tools. Those savings are well worth doing it yourself if you ask me. Not to mention some of these things are OE or better than OE.

#8 ·
Thanks,

I stumbled upon that thread when I was searching but there was alot on there that wasn't on my recommended service description. I pulled the recommended maintenance schedule from my.subaru.com and this is what they had listed:

Inspect drive belt(s) [except camshaft]
Inspect camshaft drive belt
Replace engine oil - Doing it myself
Replace engine oil filter - Doing it myself
Replace air cleaner element - K&N Recharge Kit
Inspect transmission/differential (front & rear) lubricants (gear oil) - My Tuner is replacing trans and diff fluids
Inspect automatic transmission fluid
Replace brake fluid - My tuner is replacing brake fluid
Inspect disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect brake linings and drums
Perform inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect clutch operation
Inspect steering and suspension
Perform rotate and inspect tires
Recommended Inspection fuel systems, lines and connections
Inspect engine coolant systems, hoses and connections
Replace a/c filter - ordered a new panel filter on amazon

They didn't list the plugs on the page at all, and the coolant system just shows "inspect", then again it also shows "inspect" for brakes and brake lines and I am swapping the brake fluid proactively. Ill take a look at the coolant and if it seems polluted I can swap it out as well. I usually do coolant after 2 years rather than at a certain mileage so it wouldn't be due for another 8 months.

I can pick up a bottle of red-line fuel system cleaner and run that through just to be safe

Thanks again guys

#10 ·
Unfortunately I don't have a lift, I would prefer to be dumping diff fluid from overhead rather than up on my ramps. The only alternative I have would be to rent a garage and for the money it would cost I can have my tuner who I trust to do the job right handle it for me after work. If I had the space and time I would love to do it all myself, nothing feels better than a job well done but right now its just not in the cards.

That and /personal side note/ I got engaged in January and my weekends are petty much dedicated to wedding planning, so work on the car has to happen on weeknights.

#13 ·
So its done, 30k service in the books

just a hair over $200 - By my calculation that's $85 in labor and the rest is fluids.

Over-view : coolant and steering fluids looks great, brakes still have pleanty of meat

Replaced - Subaru OEM diff fluid and trans fluid swapped and motul 5.1 for the brakes. Did a quick oil swap tonight Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus again. ( Good UOA here -http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/pennzoil-platinum-pure-plus-50722/

All of the inspection points passed and I'm back on the road again. My tuner likes redline fuel system treatment so I'm ordering a bottle tonight.

Thanks for the help Guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.