2009 wrx trans questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
2009 wrx trans questions

trying to decide weather to get stronger gear for my 5 speed or if a 6 speed swap would be a better idea. so my question is what year 6 speeds would fit in my car. and what would be a round about price for better 5 speed gears and the price of a six speed swap

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Depends on if you do the work for one and which 5spd gears you go with. Dont forget small things like if you have a short shifter on your 5spd, you wont be able to use it with your 6spd. I just did a 5spd build on my car, ran me around $6500 (1-5 gears, front lsd, clutch, flywheel, fluids and labor). Im not sure what 6 spds would go (Im sure just about any of them). But you need more parts (i.e usually hubs, different driveshaft and other parts).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
gotcha. i dont really have any idea yet. i just know im going to eventually get to to around 400whp and i dont know how long the stocker will hold out. so was just gettting some opinions.

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 01:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can understand that. I was running 330 AWHP and my clutch went out before anything else. But since I deployed and wouldnt mind the down time of the car, had the whole thing done at once. Btw my gears were fine with running all that power. The builder said there wasnt any sign of stress or anything on the gears taken out.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Make it easy on yourself and take advantage of the lighter trans and better gearing of the 5 speed. Also easy in and out for your work. Do 1-2 or 3-4 or both. PPGs run $2100 for each set of 2 so $4200 for both. Labor is $700 and if you drag race, shift forks for $700. All is done by the US PPG dealer Andrewtech. Clutch and flywheel is also a good to do now for like $600-$800.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM

If you can find yourself someone that is familiar with building transmissions, especially subaru trannys there is more than just PPGs out there, that are just as capable, and better priced. I did alot of research and talking to people before making my decision.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement