Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain & Tranny (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   2009 WRX clutch kit recommendations (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/2009-wrx-clutch-kit-recommendations-31564/)

orfitellig1 11-05-2011 08:03 PM

2009 WRX clutch kit recommendations

:confused: I have a 2009 WRX and Im looking to put a new clutch in it since ive begun to notice my stock clutch is slipping. The only mods I have done are Cobb Access Port Stage 1 w/ AEM CAI. Ive been told to go with an aftermarket OEM clutch kit and then Ive also been told to do a stage 1 organic upgrade. Im torn on what to do, since I do have an increase in hp and tourque from the cobb stage 1 w/ AEM CAI but then again Im not sure if the gain is enough to justify in getting a stage 1 clutch kit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Super indecisive on what to do!! :confused:

RcrsWetDream 11-05-2011 08:12 PM

OEM clutch should be more than enough for a stage I setup car.... Surprised it's even slipping, driving style dependent.

My OEM clutch is starting to slip as well with 35k miles but I'm well over the stage I specs.

orfitellig1 11-05-2011 08:20 PM

Yeah thats what I was saying to myself! "WTF why is my clutch slipping!?" I guess when I got the car I was a lil boost happy since I owned a 2.5 RS before, so having a turbo finally was a blast! but I never launched it or anything, just hard charging here and there, but never raced it nor pulled off the line type of driving shit. Oh and one more thing the load feel on the clutch pedal is super heavy and it grabs super high. Im assuming those are indicators for a new clutch is needed??

RcrsWetDream 11-05-2011 09:44 PM

Grabbing super high can be a sign, but generally when your rpm's rise with little or no change in speed is how to diagnose a slipping clutch....

A good way of knowing is putting it into a higher gear, 3rd or 4th, and floor it from about 2k rpm's and see if it accelerates as it should. If it goes for a little bit, then the rpm's really rise quickly with not much speed gain, slipping clutch.

orfitellig1 11-06-2011 07:23 AM

Yeah its slipping for sure, just matted it in 4th and the rpms rose but speed didnt. So you would go with an OEM replacement clutch for my set up and it will be able to handle it for the long haul, granted I take it easy this time around haha (Cobb AP Stage 1 w/ AEM CAI)

djc1827 01-23-2012 10:27 PM

ACT HD STREET 600$ easy on trans holds 420tq

mosc 01-24-2012 09:18 AM

I use that clutch... on an upgraded 04 STi with a 6-speed not a virtually stock WRX with a 5-speed. No, that's way too much clutch for the 5-speed. Stick with stock clutches at that power level. If you burnt it out already, you're probably driving incorrectly. How many miles did you get on it?