2006 WRX - First the Clutch, now the Tranny? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

PDX-WRX is an unknown
Angry 2006 WRX - First the Clutch, now the Tranny?

Alright, I'm sure you've seen it a million times - 2006 WRX clutches, they blow. While I wish I had known that when I originally bought my '06... but that's not the issue now, considering I've already replaced it (at 42k, by the way).

Sunday morning, all was well - and suddenly, it won't go into reverse. Or first. Or second. Or any gear. We called a mechanic friend, who managed to get it going in second, and his first thought was clutch. Of course, I thought - AGAIN?

Took it in to the service department at the local dealership. Their take? Transmission. At 72k...

I know how to drive, I know how to shift - I took care of the car, all maintenance was on time.

What. The. HELL. Even the techs were surprised to come to that conclusion...

Tell me - what in the world is going on here? Did I just get a lemon of a WRX, or what?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Well, there would have to be pretty fair abuse done to the car to blow the transmission at 72K normally. As you've stated that I wouldn't say that is the case. Some parts can fail, but there are parts in the clutch that could have failed that would make the car act like the transmission wasn't working. Did they replace it with an OEM clutch back at 42K? No other mods on the car? If it's stock and you drive like an adult, I would try to get a 2nd opinion on it before you go buying a replacement transmission just yet. Pieces can break off of the pressure plate, the throwout bearing can break, etc. Does it make any additional sounds? It could even be the master/slave cylinders failing but I want to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt that they checked that. Let us know if there's anything else (sounds, mods) with the car.
#3 Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm going to say if the dealer has diagnosed it as a tranny, it's a tranny. Although I totally agree with you Hondafan on symptoms.

I haven't really seen a lot of your scenario's play out, usually abuse is to blame. Sorry man, I was in the same boat a few years ago, although I did a wicked high rpm clutch drop to do mine in...God I was dumb.

Hopefully you're not in a hurry to get it replaced, I wish mine hadn't been a race against the clock or I wouldn't have had to pay PDXtuning $3300 to replace my 02 tranny with another stock 02 tranny. Horrible deal. Keep an eye on craiglslist, and call silverline auto. They're crooks, but they ALWAYS have what you need. I think they sell sti tranny swaps in the 4k neighborhood.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#4 Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Heck it could even be the shifter/linkage. Lots of guys have the ball pop out on their shifter and it's quite similar to not being able to get in gear, but every now and then it'll go. Is your shifter super loose? If it's the linkage it could just be a loose connection under the car. Had that happen on my sister's car... Couldn't find any gears but 3 and R.

Most likely not the issue but it's free?

-Chris
#5 Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

4waymedia is an unknown
I am pushing 180,000 miles on the original clutch and transmission... Main commute miles of 50+ miles per use. I have not heard of anyone replacing the transmission under 100k unless your racing... Or driving hard
#6 Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You didn't put on a stock clutch did you? Some aftermarket clutch? "Stage 1" or somesuch? You violated the cardinal rule of 02-07 WRX's. Say it with me folks:

Stock Tranny? STOCK CLUTCH!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD