Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002 WRX bad center diff?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fidrat 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a 2002 WRX with 87k miles on it. Ran wonderful for the first 3.5 months. Ive never run it hard just back and forth to work. Anyway, noticed a noise coming home from work, original thought was wheel bearing, found out the noise was coming from the back of the transmission. Have been told many things 1) Transmission is bad 2) Center differential bearing is bad 3) Pinion bearing is bad 4) whole differential is gone.
Car makes a "whirring noise" after it gets up to temp starts as intermittent and then becomes more constant. This occurs while under a load or coasting. Noise increases with speed and decreases as you decelerate. The all might youtube videos I have seen for "bad center diff" sound exactly like the noise my car makes. I guess I am wondering what I need to fix it bare minimum and worst case scenario parts labor etc.
Thanks for any help

#2 ·
You really need to actually pinpoint the cause of the sound before you can figure out how much it's going to cost to fix it.

A center diff replacement is a transmission tear down. The best way to get accurate pricing is to call a local performance shop that does a lot of Subaru transmission work and ask them what a diff replacement typically costs through their shop.

#6 ·
I know it's whining It started at about 95,000mi. I'm at 111,000 now. Ether it quieted down or I've gotten used to it. I've been just turning up my radio and ignoring it. I need to know if it is still working properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.