Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
- Drivetrain & Tranny (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/)
- - 2002 wrx auto problems (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/2002-wrx-auto-problems-44402/)
2002 wrx auto problems
I recently bought a 2002 wrx auto used with 143,000 miles on the clock. It has an automatic transmission. It has a couple odd issues that have been confounding anyone I have take a look at them other than to recommend a new transmission. Given the cost of a replacement I hope it is something simpler. Since owning it I have done an oil change, full transmission flush and filter change, and put in a new battery since the old one was giving out on me. The issues are as follows
1. speedometer reads 10 to 20 mph over actual speed based on how fast I'm going. Has been a consistent issue since I bought the car, but not mentioned by previous owner.
2. Downshifts hard from 4th to 3rd when you punch it. If you press lightly till it shifts, then hit it, works fine. This issue was mentioned by previous owner as existing since the car was much newer. Subaru apparently had no explanation for this, other than putting in a whole new transmission in. this is not a huge issue for me, but including for diagnostic info.
3. Car shudders/takes a while to go from 1st to second. This issue varies somewhat randomly. It was much better after I replaced my battery, but got worse after, and slightly better after doing full transmission flush.
Any thoughts are appreciated
Can't really tell you a lot without actually witnessing it.
If shops have told you to get a new transmission.. In my eyes I would take the opportunity to convert it to Manual. Did that with a buddies 4 Door Honda after his automatic trans went.
Thought about doing that. But the amount of new parts is crazy, be way cheaper to sell it and buy a manual version of the same year.
Yes you could do that, but if you take the time to find the parts needed you can prob find some good deals and it could be cheaper to just Swap the trans. The thing is sometime people wont want to buy your headaches, so selling it (especially when its Auto) could take time.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8pl1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.