1st grinding? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

NoFear1911 is an unknown
1st grinding?

ok i just got a 2002 subaru wrx and with my old car i could shift into 1st when i was moving but when im driving the wrx it will grind when i try to put it in 1st at any speed but when im not moving its fine is this a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2007, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
The WRX transmission is not designed to shift into first from a roll. It is commonly referred to as, "glass" and has been known to break with power modifications. Nevertheless, depending on the mileage on your car, it could be tender.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#3 Old 10-21-2007, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

E-ville WRX is an unknown
My 2006 did that from the factory. At 3000 miles I changed all my fluids to RedLine synthetic, and within 50 miles of driving shifting into first was a breeze – even when still rolling. I don't know if switching to synthetic with your car's mileage would cause any complications or not. I have heard that the smaller molecules can leak though the gaskets that are accustom to convention fluids. I sure someone will chime in with more knowledge in that area.
#4 Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Change tranny oil with 3qt Redline 75-90ns and 1 qt Redline lightweight shockproof. Problem solved. End of story.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#5 Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Landholt is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Landholt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Change tranny oil with 3qt Redline 75-90ns and 1 qt Redline lightweight shockproof. Problem solved. End of story.
I wish he was right, i've experienced this first hand with two different gearsets, it was finally solved through knowledge of this trans from a shop, his fix was a new syncro set off the newer trans. I cant say thats the only way to fix it but i can tell you it still wasnt perfect, i'd have to match RPMs to get a smooth shift
#6 Old 10-21-2007, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fine...You can put anything you want in it for 3 qt. Just add 1 qt lightweight to anything and it will still solve the problem.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#7 Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Imprt4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Just add 1 qt lightweight to anything and it will still solve the problem.
No it wont. Trust me. I have this setup in my tranny and 1st still loves to grind in.
F*ck the WRX tranny all together. Either go with an STi 6 speed or PPG's, or lose sleep at night becuz your stocker sux ass.
#8 Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

darthsofearu is an unknown
+1 to import4life. if only i had ppgs. the different fluid may help a lil. but what u r describing is the infamous 1st gear lock. it is there to prevent u from accidentily shifting into 1st going 50mph. many cars actually have this. my brothers '95 m3 has it. it is a safety feature
#9 Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well my bone stock no fancy gear lubed 03 slides into first like butter every time, even at a quick roll AS LONG AS i double clutch. if i single clutch that bastard hardly ever goes in.
#10 Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
well my bone stock no fancy gear lubed 03 slides into first like butter every time, even at a quick roll AS LONG AS i double clutch. if i single clutch that bastard hardly ever goes in.
+1 to doubleclutching, but I'm still changing my tranny oil to redline on monday.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#11 Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
What I do is when I am coming to a stop. I push the clutch in. Pull the car out of what ever gear. While slowing down(with clutch pushed in)I shift to 2nd. Come to a stop, then with the clutch still in, shift from 2nd to 1st and it goes right in. If you try to push it in at higher speeds it will be a no go, or you will grind it. I do believe it is a saftey feature as someone already said.

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#12 Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
there is absolutely no point in changing the gears if the clutch is in. you would be doing the clutch and trans a favor by just pulling it out of gear and leaving it out of gear until you came to a complete stop, then re-engage the clutch and select first.

the main attraction to proper downshifting while coming to a stop is having power instantly available if needed. the example i use is a quickly approaching emergency vehicle. if i am coming to a stop sign at an open intersection and i see an ambulance quickly approaching, i wont make a stop if its safe and beneficial to emergency vehicles. ill just turn right and stop on the corner. instead of having to take the time to find the appropriate gear, i just have to apply throttle because im always in gear with the clutch out. that, and its 100% habit at this point. the more applicable example is U turns. instead of stopping in the intersection to find first, or bogging the hell out of second your in the appropriate gear for the situation.

first not being easily accessible at a roll i doubt is a safety feature, as there really is nothing unsafe about being in first. any gear will grind and push back if you are trying to select it at the inappropriate speed. i think its a combination of gear ratio and the fact that its straight cut. also, the fact that it goes in so effortlessly when done correctly almost completely removed the the safety feature possibility, for me, anyway.
#13 Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok,how about this...One fine day I changed my tranny oil with Redline 75-90ns wanting to solve the downshifting to 1st problem. It didn't. Then I took out one qt and replaced it with one qt Redline lightweight shockproof. That night while I was sleeping the tranny fairy came and swapped out my 5-speed with an enchanted tranny. When I woke,I discovered I could downshift into 1st from a 20mph roll. Sence everyone is right and I'm wrong. The tranny fairy is my only explaination for this supernatural event...or mabey it was a U.F.O.? 65,000+mi and not one tranny problem. No leaks,no grinding,no explaination. I don't drive like a wuss. It didn't go into 1st on a roll for the first 60,000mi. I just can't believe this on a "glass" tranny. I don't get it... Why do the Subrau gods smile on me and nobody else?

#14 Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

VanillaJuice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to VanillaJuice
i hate the transmission on this car...it is horrible....im sitting at ZERO MPH and it grinds whenever i put it in 1st.....almost ever 3rd or 4th time i do it

Opensource tune by CAMTuning.com
Parts from Jeremy at Crucial Racing
#15 Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

boo hoo, my tranny grumbles when i select first.

its not a bad thing, man. let it go. if it happens at a dead stop just pull your foot off teh clutch and re-enguage. when you sit there with the clutch out the components of the transmission continue to rotate. when you sit at a dead stop with the clutch in the transmission will eventually stop rotating. and the gears will most likely stop in a position where they will not mesh.