1st gear has troubles need help asap! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Durtydyl is an unknown
1st gear has troubles need help asap!

So I'm planning on buying a 2002 wrx wagon with 170,000 miles on it for 6000 my only concern was when I was rolling and trying to get down into first gear it would grind so hard and wouldn't get into the gear until i was at a complete stop is this a frequent problem on these with the transmission or what do you think it is? Also is that even a good deal I guess they put a new engine in it about a year ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
This is pretty common on the higher mileage 5 speed transmissions.

Changing the transmission Fluid to fresh Subaru Extra S or your preferred "Cocktail" can help depending on how bad it is.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#3 Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
I thought the Wrx trans wouldn't allow you to get into first untill almost completely stopped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#4 Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_hawk_eye View Post
I thought the Wrx trans wouldn't allow you to get into first untill almost completely stopped. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I'd agree with that. I drove a 5 speed g5 and it did the same thing, wouldn't go into 1st until just about stopped. My WRX now will grind if I try to put it in reverse while still moving as well, never tried 1st there's no need. Probably a safety thing so you don't put it in 1st at a higher speed on accident. Why would you need to put it 1st gear before you're almost stopped?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#5 Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I believe you have to be below like 8mph or so before, I have heard of people doing it a 15mph, but it's all hear say...use you brakes to slow down, you'll be thankful in the end because brakes are cheaper than a trans. Yeah i'd also HIGHLY recommend changing the gear oil in the trans and the rear diff as these items get over looked all the time.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
That's normal. There is nothing wrong. You're not supposed to be able to downshift from anything but a rolling start.