09 trans in an 06 wrx problems, PLEASE HELP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-13-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jacob129 is an unknown
09 trans in an 06 wrx problems, PLEASE HELP

After a recent transmission failure I swapped in a 2009 5 speed into my 2006 WRX. I did this not realizing that the 09 trans did not use the speed sensor located on the 06 bell housing. As a result my speedometer and odometer no longer function and my car is stuck in some sort of "limp home mode". I have talked to multiple subaru dealers asking if there is any way to make use of the speed sensor from my original transmission, they all told me no, that the 09 uses a BCU (or something like that ) to measure speed and miles traveled. I come to you to see if anyone has any knowledge of how I can make my speedometer and odometer work with the 09 trans or if i truly need to go searching for yet another 06 trans to put into my car (I dont want to do this as I have already replaced the transmission and the rear diff to match the new gear ratio). If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2016, 04:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Wilkd8 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob129 View Post
After a recent transmission failure I swapped in a 2009 5 speed into my 2006 WRX. I did this not realizing that the 09 trans did not use the speed sensor located on the 06 bell housing. As a result my speedometer and odometer no longer function and my car is stuck in some sort of "limp home mode". I have talked to multiple subaru dealers asking if there is any way to make use of the speed sensor from my original transmission, they all told me no, that the 09 uses a BCU (or something like that ) to measure speed and miles traveled. I come to you to see if anyone has any knowledge of how I can make my speedometer and odometer work with the 09 trans or if i truly need to go searching for yet another 06 trans to put into my car (I dont want to do this as I have already replaced the transmission and the rear diff to match the new gear ratio). If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Have you solved the problem with your speed sensor? I am having a similar problem
post #3 of 8 Old 05-11-2017, 02:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

OGOBXT is an unknown
This may not be the easiest, or best solution, but you could get the cobb tuner, download the access program (if you have windows) and then you can delete engine code p500 i think it is, and you might have you problem solved, plus an upgrade for $600 bucks.

Might as well, and if you already have one, FREE!

Hope it works

OGOBXT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2017, 10:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No, the only way you can fix the issue is to swap a GD chassis (02-07) 5MT as the 08+ use a VSS at the ABS sensors in the wheel hub, unlike the 02-07 where it's on the output shaft. That's the only thing you can do, if you really want those LGT gear ratios, you will need to swap them into GD chassis 5MT case halves.

Cobb cannot fix this, OS tuning cannot fix this. It's a hardware design, not software.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

OGOBXT is an unknown
Thanks for the great post.

OGOBXT
post #6 of 8 Old 05-16-2017, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Btw, rumor has it that Cobb is no longer supporting the ability to delete codes/force ready emissions anymore, due to a firmware update and legality. I wouldn't know because I don't update things.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

RogueMantis is an unknown
Garage
Man. They do that and there goes a TON of their business I bet. I know I would be hard-pressed to keep it just because of the sheer annoyance of all the blinking lights.

06 WRX - Cobb Stage 2
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2017, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm just parroting (I know I know) what a Subie performance shop locally told me, and actually I've been asking around that industry and most have been saying similar things. You know it's most likely true when Cobb won't even reply to my emails about this issue after a month of requesting to speak to someone about it.

Back to the OPs topic, find yourself a GD chassis 5MT (blown may be salvageable) and use the case halves for your 09 gearset. You may have to swap the output shaft (due to the VSS gear) but I haven't had many chances to crack open some cases and see the differences between GD/GR chassis. I do know the VSS gear is in the trans on the output shaft for the GD chassis 5MT, which may complicate things a bit.

I think I've seen 08+ 5MT swap DIYs out there for the GC-GD chassis as people were tempted to test the LGT ratios the 08+ wrx got.