08 WRX clutch shot - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
08 WRX clutch shot

hows it goin guys. well i dropped my car off at the dealership yesterday and they called me today telling me they have to open the tranny to check a problem i was having in reverse(it was making a weird ticking/clunking noise) and also the clutch was slipping so they have to replace it. hopefully they will cover it. 6800-7000miles. I have a quick question. will a ACT flywheel mate up to a EXEDY clutch and vice versa? i found this website Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch Kit-2006-08 WRX/LEG GT-05-08
if anyone has any advice or replaced a clutch on the new generation already, any help.info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
As far as upgrading clutches, it usually not recommended on a stock tranny. It transfers more of the stress and shock to the tranny instead of letting the clutch slip and take the damage.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
to answer you question yes they will mate up...but like newtothegame said its not generally a good idea to upgrade your clutch on the stock tranny

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #4 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
This is pretty fast to burn out a clutch, are you just learning or driving really aggressively?

As nttg stated, generally it is a bad idea to upgrade your clutch on the stock transmission because the stock gears in a WRX are not really strong. It is much cheaper to replace a clutch than it is to replace gears and there is no guarantee that an upgraded clutch with more grip would even increase the life of the clutch if the problem is caused by your driving habits.

Most people don't burn out the stock clutch in 7000 miles so it is probably more related to your driving habits than the type of clutch you're running. Try not to slip the clutch from high rpms and make sure you don't leave your foot resting on the clutch pedal between shifts. Prolonged load on the clutch (even just the slight pressure from a resting foot) can dramatically increase wear.

As always, it could just be a defective clutch (defects happen). If you think your driving is fine you should try another stock clutch before upgrading because you probably just had a bad part. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
I have a little over 7k on my 08 WRX. The car has been stage 2 most of it's life, and I run Solo2. I have no trouble with my stock clutch at all. I've added somewhere between 75-100 hp over stock.

BTW the clutch is warranted for 30K

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wutangjn12 is an unknown
Update: so i got a call today from the dealer and they said there gonna replace the clutch and fix the tranny free of charge. thanks subaru. hopefully ill have it back by my birthday on friday cant wait to get it back
post #7 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
One of the few cases where subaru fixes their boo-boos. That's cool man you dont have to pay for anything, good luck with it all.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thats great news, congrats on that. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement