06 eating clutches - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sfx95901 is an unknown
06 eating clutches

I have a 2006 WRX that seems to be eating clutches every 22K or so. First, I am 48 and have been driving performance cars for more than 30 years, I know how to drive a manual transmission. I purchased the WRX used with 12K on the odometer, so I was not too shocked when the stock clutch went at around 24k miles. I replaced the clutch with the ACT street / strip hybrid clutch/pressure plate kit and being in a hurry had it professionally installed (perhaps a mistake in that I was not able to inspect the old components). Other than a K&N that is the only mod on the car.

Did a 500 mile break in, even though I seldom race the car anyway.

Yet, about 24K miles later, the ACT clutch has now failed as well.

Both clutches failed in the same manner, going from first showing some slight slippage to total failure within maybe 20-30 miles of mainly highway driving.

I have heard from a few other Impreza owners that there cars have eaten clutches early and often as well, so I am left wondering if there is a known problem that I can address when I swap the clutch out this time?

I plan on sticking with the same model of ACT clutch disk, unless there is a reason to change.

Is there a possibility that the clutch is never disengaging all the way (acting like a foot on the pedal all the time?) if so, Is there a free play adjustment I can make then to solve that?

Anybody have any other great ideas??

Any tips or pointers for the clutch job on this vehicle? I can't seem to find a manual anywhere that covers this car - can anybody point me towards that too?

Thank You All in advance for helping if you can.

Dave in Magalia.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Since its not really modded, id suggest a stock OEM clutch. These cars work well with stock and an upgraded clutch may not have been necessary. I had a problem with mine, kid before me used aftermarket clutch and it failed after 19k miles. I mean i have an 09 and its different im sure. But this was my scenario. It was under bumper to bumper warranty so stealership covered all labor costs etc. Went back to stock and never been happier..
#4 Old 03-09-2012, 06:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^This.

Stock clutches are made by Exedy... Look into a OEM clutch or a stage one Exedy clutch. Might just suprise you.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The only WRX's that had issues with premature clutch failures were '09-'11s. There is no common problem on '06s. Typically I would have chalked it up to the driver's methodology, considering AWD/4WD clutches see more abuse when compared to those on 2WDs due to less wheel slippage. But I've had and seen a few ACT HD clutches that didn't last very long.
#6 Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Either the clutch is installed wrong, the flywheel was not machined correctly after the first clutch replacement or you don't know how to drive as good as you think.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...