04 wrx grinds 4th - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoostinChick
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1
wrximpreza04 is an unknown
04 wrx grinds 4th

Hey guys,

My 4th gears grinds but not always, depends if i double clutch or what speed I am going. I would like to get a newer tranny anyways. Does anyone know where I can get one or Should i rebuild my old one?

Thanks,
wrximpreza04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Premium Member
 
Nathan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 550
Images: 7
Nathan21 is an unknown
go buy an sti tranny and get that extra great, that is what I would do if I am buying a new tranny but that is my 2c
Nathan21 is offline  
#3 Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,104
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Albins and PPG make replacement gears for your WRX 5 speed trans that are just as strong, if not stronger than STi gears. There are also other companies that make slightly less expensive aftermarket gears. Also, keep in mind that if you go with an STi 6 speed, you'll need to upgrade your hubs from 5x100 to 5x114.3, which means you'll need new wheels if yours aren't already dual-drilled, as well as different differentials and a small collection of other goodies to make everything work properly.

Here's another fun fact: stock vs. stock, the WRX 5 speed gear ratio is faster 0-60 mph than the STi 6 speed. The top end is another story though

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
#4 Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 324
BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Albins and PPG make replacement gears for your WRX 5 speed trans that are just as strong, if not stronger than STi gears. There are also other companies that make slightly less expensive aftermarket gears. Also, keep in mind that if you go with an STi 6 speed, you'll need to upgrade your hubs from 5x100 to 5x114.3, which means you'll need new wheels if yours aren't already dual-drilled, as well as different differentials and a small collection of other goodies to make everything work properly.

Here's another fun fact: stock vs. stock, the WRX 5 speed gear ratio is faster 0-60 mph than the STi 6 speed. The top end is another story though
Just some correction here..you do not need to replace the hubs to do the 6-speed install. Some folks choose to because you pretty much need every other drivetrain part anyway - trans, rear diff, possibly subframe and axles (dependent on year trans you go with), etc.

When was the last time you replaced the trans fluid? Did you try Subaru Extra-S? I would go with a fluid change (~$50-80) if you haven't done it in awhile vs. shopping for a trans.
man show likes this.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
BoostinChick is offline  
#5 Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
BLAZE2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,577
Images: 6
BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post

When was the last time you replaced the trans fluid? Did you try Subaru Extra-S? I would go with a fluid change (~$50-80) if you haven't done it in awhile vs. shopping for a trans.

^ this

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
BLAZE2099 is offline  
#6 Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
man show's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,104
Images: 2
man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
Just some correction here..you do not need to replace the hubs to do the 6-speed install. Some folks choose to because you pretty much need every other drivetrain part anyway - trans, rear diff, possibly subframe and axles (dependent on year trans you go with), etc.

When was the last time you replaced the trans fluid? Did you try Subaru Extra-S? I would go with a fluid change (~$50-80) if you haven't done it in awhile vs. shopping for a trans.
Thanks, didn't realize you could keep the 5x100 hubs. Good info!

John
07 WRX
man show is offline  
#7 Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,341
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
A little late, but change your transmission fluid and see if you get different results.
brfatal is offline  
#8 Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
turmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,371
Images: 6
turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The 04 STI came with 100x5 hubs...so, there is a way to do it.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
turmic is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On