Subaru WRX Forum banner

04 wrx grinds 4th

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

My 4th gears grinds but not always, depends if i double clutch or what speed I am going. I would like to get a newer tranny anyways. Does anyone know where I can get one or Should i rebuild my old one?

Thanks,

#3 ·
Albins and PPG make replacement gears for your WRX 5 speed trans that are just as strong, if not stronger than STi gears. There are also other companies that make slightly less expensive aftermarket gears. Also, keep in mind that if you go with an STi 6 speed, you'll need to upgrade your hubs from 5x100 to 5x114.3, which means you'll need new wheels if yours aren't already dual-drilled, as well as different differentials and a small collection of other goodies to make everything work properly.

Here's another fun fact: stock vs. stock, the WRX 5 speed gear ratio is faster 0-60 mph than the STi 6 speed. The top end is another story though ;)

#4 ·
Just some correction here..you do not need to replace the hubs to do the 6-speed install. Some folks choose to because you pretty much need every other drivetrain part anyway - trans, rear diff, possibly subframe and axles (dependent on year trans you go with), etc.

When was the last time you replaced the trans fluid? Did you try Subaru Extra-S? I would go with a fluid change (~$50-80) if you haven't done it in awhile vs. shopping for a trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.