Subaru WRX Forum banner

03 WRX gear swap

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Imthatbyrd 
#1 ·
I don't even know if this is possibly or not, but I couldn't find anything about it so I decided to come here. Is there anyway, to swap my 5 gears in my 5 speed transmission and my trans not have a weak 1 and 2 gear? If so, would my transmission be launch healthy?

#2 ·
swapping gears for a different ratio is something most transmission shops can do. Unfortunately that doesn't make it launch ready.

The gear case in most cases is what gives you the most trouble, under load it can torque and flex causing your gea r mesh to be outside normal tolerances. There is a product called Blast Plates that essentially wrap steel around your gear case and make it more rigid. Im pretty sure they are made by moore.

#4 ·
I'm currently installing some blast plates. I don't think them alone will make you "launch ready". I still don't plan on launching after the install. They are more of a added insurance thing for me. Arctic is right about the case flexing causing many failures. The main shaft is one of the components that also gives a bit. If you truly want to be " launch ready" either do a 6 speed sti swap or upgraded gears (ppg or albins are good ones), mainshaft, forks, synchros, clutch, and some blast plates. Even then its not guaranteed not to break. Expect to spend anywhere from 4-10k for one of these options.

#6 ·
First don't buy from Vivid, Secondly if your car has a build date after 06/02(look on the build plate in the drivers side door) then you have gears that are basically RA gears. If you want a trans that is "Launch Ready", buy a 6 speed and swap it in or buy a set of gears from Andrew tech...Might wanna consider getting a second job to pay for those while your at it...:(

#7 ·
I second that, Vivid spends more money on marketing than parts.

And honestly no gearset is launch ready for a daily driver. Its almost like asking what body kit is "crash ready". Some gearsets and transmission kets handle the stress better than others but you are asking about doing the hardest thing your drivetrain can take. If your car gets regualr rebuilds then thats a different story but to launch a daily driver on the streets is reckless at best. /end dad rant /

If it were me I would grab the blast plates and save your pennies for a new transmission when you eventually blow out the one you've got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.