03 wrx 4th gear grind - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
03 wrx 4th gear grind

I just bought my 03 wrx recently and it has a 4 th gear grind when im driving it a little "spirited" haha. I found this 4th gear grind scotty COCKTAIL question.
But i dont know know if i should try the Andrewtech Cocktail because it has high miles and i dont know if its been changed. Any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
i had the same issue but it with 2nd gear. i ignored it and i ended up blowing out 2nd gear. so make sure your fluid is top off or maybe change the fluid since u bought the car used
#3 Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
Ive heard its bad to change it in high mileage cars because it can break stuff loose that has been holding it together. Is this true?
#4 Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm92 View Post
Ive heard its bad to change it in high mileage cars because it can break stuff loose that has been holding it together. Is this true?
i dont know who told you that but that dont sound true at all. did this person also tell you not to change your oil either. in my case i had a slow leak that i didnt know about and blew out 2nd gear now i make sure that my fluid is always "in check " and its do for a change soon. and i just used castrol full synthetic 75w90 and no problems,but im sure some "hardcore" subbie users all have there own mix or brand of fluid so to each there own. you should call your local subaru shop and ask them about the tranny fluid change. but im sure every fluid in your car needs to be reg. changed
#5 Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
Ya he told me to leave it and hes a mechanic. But im still not sure if hes right. ### its just gonna keep getting worse
#6 Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Do you know what gear oil is in there now? If you do not end up going with Andrewtech's cocktail, everyone raves about the Subaru Extra-S. And that guy is full of poo. It's recommended to change the trans fluid every 30k.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#7 Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
So andrewtech Sounds like a good choice?
#8 Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
What about royal purple?
#9 Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The main downside to shortening the fluid change intervals in your transmission is the increased cost. The benefit is obviously prolonging the life of your transmission. If you have a way to raise the front end of the car (jack + stands, ramps, lift, etc.), some very basic hand tools (plus maybe a T-70 Torx bit, depending on the year of your Subaru), and a little time, you can change the transmission fluid for a fairly reasonable price. The used trans fluid can be mixed with used motor oil and recycled together too.

The last time I changed my transmission fluid with the Andrewtech Cocktail, it cost me:

(1x) 1 Liter Motul Gear 300 75W-90 = $15.95
(3x) 1 Quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75W-140 = $10.90/ea. = $32.70

Total = $48.65 (not incuding shipping)

The factory recommends changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

Since I now have aftermarket Albins gears, it was suggested to me by an Albins representative directly as well as by several employees at IAG Performance (the shop that installed the gears) to cut that fluid change interval in half, so I'll be changing my trans fluid every 15,000 miles now. Both also said the Andrewtech Cocktail is a good formula to use.

If you don't know when your transmission fluid was last changed, I highly recommend you change it as soon as possible to help prolong the life of your transmission. Trans rebuilds are not cheap <-- I speak from experience

John
07 WRX
#10 Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
x2 about the transmission rebuild ^

IMHO, I would stick with the Subaru Extra-S route on a stock trans. I tend to think that the "cocktails" may only mask your problem and if it's a huge enough problem it will eventually fail no matter what you use. And if I recall correctly, the 03 would use a 21mm bolt not torx.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#11 Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
Is there any place that sells both motul and redline? I dont really wanna order from 2 places. And getting the car up is not a problem i have access to a lift
#12 Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm92 View Post
Is there any place that sells both motul and redline? I dont really wanna order from 2 places.
Yep, here's one place: The Super Fab Cocktail Mix (Gear oil) [Andrewtechcocktail-gear-oil] - $88.00 : AndrewTech Automotive, the East Coasts premier facility for the performance-minded Subaru owner.

I ended up getting the Motul from MyNismo.com - Home Page (I actually picked up two Liters so I could change the rear differential fluid too) and the Redline from C3Motorsports - 3000GT/Stealth, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Performance Auto Supply Car Parts & More!. After shopping around for a bit, price + shipping was cheapest for me that way (I also purchased everything back in April 2011).

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryanm92 is an unknown
So i might as well pick up another one for the rear differiential?
#14 Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sure, you might as well do that at the same time. It's probably the easiest fluid to change, except you might have to get a little creative when you put the fresh fluid in because there's not a whole lot of room to work back there. Fortunately, the design of the Motul bottle neck makes it pretty easy to refill.

John
07 WRX