02 wrx tranny question. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
02 wrx tranny question.

Hey people, New to the site. Ive been looking around on the web on the best way to go for my wrx. Ive had a wrx for quite some time now since around 2003 when I got my 02. Bone stock still. Here lately 3rd gear has been grinding. Im looking to build my car with some parts from work since I work at subaru in the parts dept. My main questions are. What is the best route to go with my plans. Plans are to get a vf39, pink injectors and tmic sti of course. With that said. Would it be best to go with some ra gears, Or get a 04-05 tranny and use that. A subaru tech will be installing the parts for about 600 on the side. And I need to know what to get to use on the 04 or 05 tranny besides the tranny itself. Ive read about people being able to bolt it right up and others saying you need more parts than that. So its not quite clear to me what ill need to order from work. If anyone would be nice enough to give a straight answer on it id be very happy. Oh, And if a question comes up about racing it..I may get on it on occasion going to work but never launching it or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2011, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Use the 08 and up gear set, much stronger than earlier years.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I believe....and someone else might be able to clarify this. That the axle half shafts were changed in a design change in 04.... from female to male (or vice versa...I can not recall correctly). But, I do remember someone saying you will need to change those too if you want to put in a newer trans.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
from the ra gear set? I can get a new 04 tranny at work at my price for 699.
#5 Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
RA gears actually change your gearing which means it will affect your RPM's. A few people have gone with the Legacy gearing to save money, or if you want to save up, the 6-spd swap is another route to go. I recently got done pulling the trans and it's not too bad. Not a job I want to do again in the near future...but not bad.

I have an 07' trans that just went on me and my two thoughts were built 5-spd or 6-spd swap. They were similar in price range, but I ended up going with the PAR gear set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I believe....and someone else might be able to clarify this. That the axle half shafts were changed in a design change in 04.... from female to male (or vice versa...I can not recall correctly). But, I do remember someone saying you will need to change those too if you want to put in a newer trans.
Correct, the axles are different. Not only that, but the 04/05 have roll pins that "lock" the axles into the trans. The 06/07 do not have this. You also have the difference of a push type trans vs. a pull type trans.
#6 Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post

Ok cool thats not bad, I hope someone can confirm this. The tech would rather put a whole tranny in than build one.
#7 Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
so if I decide to go with the 04 tranny all id need is the front axles ?
#8 Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
#9 Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
im not looking to do a sti swap. Im not going to be pushing my car hard besides what I said. im just looking to see what id need to just do a 04 wrx tranny swap
#10 Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
D'oh! My bad, thought you were doing a 6-spd. Pretty sure it's plug and play if you stick to 04'.

WRX 06 TRANSMISSION INTO 02 ?? 5 speed

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2225697

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797620
#11 Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
Alright cool, Maybe someone can confirm this before tomorrow ill be ordering it then. Im hoping the 04 wrx one will stand the sti turbo and a stage 2. I wont be racing it just maybe gettin on it time to time driving
#12 Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
If you are planning on Stg. 2 + vf upgrade, I would suggest upgrading the clutch while you are in there so you don't have to pull the trans again to replace it later.

Check the 3 links I posted. If that's not proof enough for you then
#13 Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Thanks BoostinChick....I don't research the transmissions as much as other things because I have the 6 spd. Very helpful.

Around these parts....most people say on 5 spds.

"Stock gears = stock clutch"

Don't forget to get a new flywheel or the old one resurfaced if its in good shape. It always a good idea to get that done at the same time with the clutch.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#14 Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^ Bleh, I'm jealous (for now)...hehe
#15 Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Truukk is an unknown
awesome boostin, your the best, so its pretty much a direct bolt up from the looks of it. you made my day :]