Subaru WRX Forum banner

Stripped Weld Nut for Mounting Hitch on '04 Impreza WRX

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  clamer 
#1 ·
I put a Curt class I hitch on my WRX for a bike rack.

Unfortunately the existing machine thread fasteners were tired and we stripped the threads in one weld nut, which is not good.

The Curt hitch has but 2 fasteners on each side so I want to repair it, but there's no access to the interior of the frame rail so what corrective options exist?

1. drill/tap larger size
2. Helicoil new threads
3. pull bumper off to put a new nut into the interior of the frame rails?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a tough one. Best way would be to take the bumper off and use a new nut, if its even accessible. Did the capture nut break loose or just strip out? Drill and tap would be my next choice. Wonder if a toggle bolt would be strong enough? Will this hitch be a permanent fixture on your car?

#3 ·
Best way would be to take the bumper off and use a new nut, if its even accessible. Did the capture nut break loose or just strip out?
Adair,

The weldnut stripped. It's a machine thread, which may not be the best for a corrosion environment.

I'm not sure if we can get into the frame rail by removing the bumper or I would try, but I heard it's a lot of work. I also want to be able to remove the hitch as required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.