"Your brother see's that and will do what you do!" - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

OBEE_Racing is an unknown
"Your brother see's that and will do what you do!"

Remember mom or dad saying that all the time?
Well, I thought I'd share this story, because I just love it!
My grandma recently passed away leaving us (ALOT MORE THAN WE EXPECTED) Bless her! Well Im going to pay off school loans, but however, My dad talked to me about garaging my WRX I bought last year, to work on the Engine this winter. Because I kept mentioning how I wanted to get to work on upgrading the engine. He said they were hoping things went well finacially with all the money and bills that they'd have a couple K's to get a used car for us to drive (we do alot of work on my dad's truck also) so we'd all have a way of transport if one of our vehicles isnt drivable.
My brother is 15 now. They want the "extra" car we are going to purchase to be his in a year then. WORKS OUT GREAT. I have my fingers crossed this works out. Well he wants a WRX!!! We started searching today, something with no mods, so he can start from the basics, fix it up and start modying it to how he chooses. But, BEST PART! When I have my WRX parked, I get to drive his WRX!! And I wont have to pay for this one!!!!! Sure im jealous they never bought me a car, but hey! I get to have a second WRX for the next year!

I guess I do have an influence on him! haha. Just thought a few people might get a kick out of this.

Chris - 2008 WRX sedan w/ vf52 setup now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 02:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Marne_Aeok is an unknown
sweet deal lol
post #3 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Congratulations on the good news, just be careful not to do anything to your brother's car because you will never hear the end of it.

When I got my license in 1999 I drove a 1992 Dodge Spirit that was rusted out, had bald tires, busted air conditioning, and had duct tape holding two of the windows up. That car was actually one of the nicer ones compared to all my other friends. Gas was 89 cents back then or else I would have had an even crappier car so I could afford gas. I am jealous of you guys who are like 17 driving an '08 wrx which is newer and better than what most of us have even in our old age.

How much is your insurance? I would imagine being a kid driving an '08 wrx can't be the cheapest...
post #4 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hell I bought my 09 when I was 22... 23 now. Guess that's what happens when you land a job out of college, what can I spend money on? For reference I pay 84 bux a month on insurance w/full coverage 500 ded - no tickets .

P.S.- Sorry bout your grandma dude.

Either way it's better to get started with cars at a young age. I modified the hell out of my 95 contour... Built a base GL 5-Speed into an SVT plus a few. Now I'm 23 and feel pretty comfortable around cars since I've torn a few down to the block.

-Chris
post #5 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream: Thanks for the condolences bro=).

VisiX: I feel bad hearing that. I was one of those guys who just turned 16 and drove a huge ass van that had electrical problems.haha. I used to work at a bikeshop and rode BMX all the time, so it was cool.

I just got my wrx a little over a year ago when I was 19. I always wanted one and I was like hell, I got a job, I got money (at the time I was saving up $$ to mod my s10 truck I had at the time) I just broke up with a girl, I was gonna live it up! haha Im in debt for awhile now, but I still dont regret it, Im really happy I did it. However, I had 2 accicents when I was younger (just fender benders....in fact I never had any damage or insurence claims for either) and a couple speeding tickets, so my insurence is 200bucks. Ive only had 1 ticket with the wrx....going 31 in a 25....
But Im working on a different insurece plan. Im going to switch, Liberty is going to charge me like $140, so im happy bout that. The girl I bought the car from sold it as a lease and said, I could get away with breaking the lease (by moding and going over miles) if I would just sell it, or buy it myself at the end of the period so thats what I went with. Paying $330 for 6 years....just bout 4 years left to pay now.

But yah, definitly gonna be careful with his car. I really wouldnt hear the end of it. Knowing my luck If get hit by someone just slightly and scraping the paint or denting it! ha! Id get out of it, and be like "seriously?"

post #6 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I'm a dumb@$$ 18-year-old, who didn't realize that his insurance was going to triple when he switched from a 1984 Mustang to a 2006 WRX. So now I have to pay about $500 a month for insurance/car payment, and I don't even have a job right now. I am thinking about trading my car in for an '04 WRX just to get rid of the loan payments.
And just for the record I have a completely clean driving record.

Mike
post #7 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ya, but thats a sexy car you got! lol. How much do you owe on it still if I may ask?

Were all young and stupid, so it's all good. I really should of went USED, but I couldnt find one that was worth getting used. I was really excited about getting a virgin WRX to make my own when obviously I could of gotten something alot cheaper. oh well, we learn from mistakes.....and we make lemonade out of lemons.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Yeah...I'm 21 now...when i got my license at 16 I had a 1990 Accord, then a 1992 Integra, and then as of July my very much newer WRX...my insurance is something like 510/6 months...Not terrible I believe...I have gotten one speeding ticket and was in one (now two) accidents...both which were not my fault! (1 was why I had to get the integra,lol, and the other is why I just got my car back monday)
post #9 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I still owe roughly... $7622

Mike
post #10 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
just curious....are you going to build up the engine of your 08? have you considered the fact that warranties most likely wont cover the work, or the fact that the reliability of a built engine isnt the greatest. not to be a party pooper, just trying to be rational/realistic
post #11 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
It pretty much boils down to this; If you are building a custom engine you better budget in some money for failures or have another car as a backup. Sounds like you have a backup car for a while, but what happens when your brother actually wants to drive his car?
post #12 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Im already to the point where I feel like I need too. Im peaking at 18.5 psi boost and eventually I do want to get a bigger turbo. My AP read a knock a couple times, but it isnt all the time, I figured my sparkplugs are going bad. But pretty much Im just paranoid my engine will go bad with such high boost.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I was hitting about that with my stage 2 OTS map. Now Im running between 16 to 20 PSI w/ my 20G ad supporting mods (depending on the map) my tuner (Tim Bailey) said the car would be fine for some time (engine wise), but like you I will hopefully be getting to my engine with the next 18 months.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 16 Old 10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
To be honest. If the 08-10s are as weak in the trans as the previous years. Which...I'm not sure of. Then the engine is the least of your worries until that gapping weak link gets fixed first. I don't know though. Because BoostAddict has not had any problems with his yet and he's laying into it pretty good. Hmm...

On the engine front....it's not HP or PSI that breaks the piston. But, rather it's the chamber pressures that break the stock pistons. Dig through this: Piston FAQ: Read if you are thinking about buying them! - NASIOC. Also dig through the comments and responces. You'll see where I'm pretty much getting my info from. In short...High hp and high boost are needed to create the determental chamber pressures. If your barely going over stock like say...stage 2. You'll probably fine. Higher numbers and how much you lay into it. Will determine how long your engine/pistons last.

The rule of thumb is thought to be 330 whp mustang dyno or 350 on a higher reading dyno. Is probably your cut off for a safe zone. Will it guaranetee your fine if your right at or below that. Heck no. But, you'll stand a chance of lasting a while longer then going past that mark. Take it for what you want. Its mostly heresay and rumors. Because there is no set standard where you're guaranteed to break a piston.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Joshua and Turmic. I feel alot more comfortable with the idea of it now. Im still going to look into it, but I'll definitly be alot more patient about it.. Its definitly something that shouldnt be rushed into. Im going to hold off it.=)