WS6 Trans AM, no mulet - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-23-2006, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
WS6 Trans AM, no mulet

I work with a guy who drives a WS6 trans Am, and no he doesn't have a mullet. We were talking about cars today and after work he wanted to ride i my new WRX. I took off and his comment was, "pretty fast but I thought there'd be more."
It was about then I down shifted and whipped around a turn, his comment then was, "holy crap this thing sticks in the turns!" [I cleaned the language up some]
After wards he let me drive his TA. Holy cow dude that thing has some acceleration!
But I've decided that before I get wheels I am going to do exhaust to pep the car up a bit, and maybe keep up with the TA, though its pushing 340 hp [he has exhaust on it, and its a little above stock hp]

Those of you who've added exhaust [UP & DP] did you notice a big difference in overall acceleration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2006, 06:59 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by poser
I work with a guy who drives a WS6 trans Am, and no he doesn't have a mullet. We were talking about cars today and after work he wanted to ride i my new WRX. I took off and his comment was, "pretty fast but I thought there'd be more."
It was about then I down shifted and whipped around a turn, his comment then was, "holy crap this thing sticks in the turns!" [I cleaned the language up some]
After wards he let me drive his TA. Holy cow dude that thing has some acceleration!
But I've decided that before I get wheels I am going to do exhaust to pep the car up a bit, and maybe keep up with the TA, though its pushing 340 hp [he has exhaust on it, and its a little above stock hp]

Those of you who've added exhaust [UP & DP] did you notice a big difference in overall acceleration?
Honestly, the "butt Dyno" didn't feel to much faster, I know it was however because I went through the gears faster as the turbo was spooling sooner.. I would suggest the Up/Down pipe.. It's always a great idea.. Also maybe a good drop in filter.. Another great way to increase acceleration is with lighter rims and / or light weight flywheel..

Ohh almost forgot, a kid that I hired here at my office has a mullet..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#3 Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
Quote:
Ohh almost forgot, a kid that I hired here at my office has a mullet..
thats awesome!
#4 Old 02-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
You will definitly feel the power from a TBE, not so much the UP

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#5 Old 02-24-2006, 09:17 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I agree with Shoaf & Ian. Also to consider maybe some EM. I am a cobb fanatic and my friend put the Accessport on his otherwise stock 04WRX and boy did it move...

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#6 Old 02-26-2006, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
When you do a TBE/UP + engine management you're in a whole new world! It'll satisfy your craving for power for about a month or so, then you'll start saving up for a turboswap like me Hehe... i'm going to bet putting on a ported FP18G with all the supporting goodies on in the next couple of weeks. I'll be pushing at or near 400 crank HP with that setup I'm sure this will keep me happy for at least a couple of more months. Then I really have no other choice than to drop in an STI block.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#7 Old 02-26-2006, 11:30 PM
WRXpert

BIGGSEAN you doin internals at all with that...... Shoaf gave me a list of things to do, which he posted here, but I don't wanna change my block till it goes south on me...

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#8 Old 02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
BIGGSEAN you doin internals at all with that...... Shoaf gave me a list of things to do, which he posted here, but I don't wanna change my block till it goes south on me...
No internals, from all the research i've done and after talking to tuners i've come to the conlcusion that this is pretty much the end of the road for me as far as mods go with the stock 2.0l motor. The stock internals/clutch/tranny can handle the power at this point, but you can't expect any more out of it. Just gonna start saving for a 2.5l sti block after this.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#9 Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSean
No internals, from all the research i've done and after talking to tuners i've come to the conlcusion that this is pretty much the end of the road for me as far as mods go with the stock 2.0l motor. The stock internals/clutch/tranny can handle the power at this point, but you can't expect any more out of it. Just gonna start saving for a 2.5l sti block after this.
Cool. I think then that I will keep my internals stock for this season or however long my engine lasts... Gonna have to wait for the rest I guess... Now i gotta pick at Shoaf's brain again....
Thanks...

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#10 Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

poser is an unknown
I already have my ECU reflashed via EcuTek [came with the car], my mext move is UP & TBE. I definately want the borla hush and I'm leaning towards perrin or helix UP & DP
#11 Old 02-28-2006, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
You will definitly feel the power from a TBE, not so much the UP

uppipe is one of those good supporting mods... kinda like a "while you're at it, you'd might as well...." cause it only helps doesnt hurt.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
#12 Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't see why you'd ever swap out a working EJ20 motor tbh. If you want more power sell the WRX and get an STi. Then you don't need to worry about upgrading the block, tranny, and rear end. The tranny alone probably makes up the cost diference between what you'd get for your WRX and what an STi would cost (wrx + sti tranny + 2.5L block + rear end is more expensive than STi)
#13 Old 02-28-2006, 08:44 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
BiggSean be careful, with that much at the crank you could end up like me and shredding your tranny.. I was at 350 or so to the wheels which is about where you will be with 400 crank.. It's one of those things where either it holds up or it wont.. You know..

I'm not trying to pick on you Mosc, but...

2006 WRX STI - $32,445
2006 WRX - $25,045

Difference - $7,400

STI Block - $1,600
STI 6 Speed w/ ring and Pinion Gear - $4,500 (you don't need the entire rear end)

Total - $6,100

So it's really not the same.. You could better use that $1,300... Granted you don't have the STI suspension, but who would honestly keep it the same?? Even if you had the STI you would swap out the turbo and all the other goodies to make it even faster and handle better just like the WRX so why not go with the WRX and then you have more to brag about.. It's just not the same to say "I am now making 500whp instead of 300 stock crank" as it is to say ""I am now making 500whp instead of227 stock crank" It's all about the "WOW" factor and the "sleeper" look (in my opinion).. But more often then not it's the simple fact that the WRX is less of an "out of pocket" hit at once.. It's easy to pick up a WRX and save up for the goodies to blow away STIs.. And then when it's all said and done you can say "I did that" and have more meaning...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#14 Old 02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
WRXpert

Lil Shoaf gets it completely... Call it a disease call it passion.. but it is more fun.
Once again Shoaf for president... or congress.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#15 Old 03-01-2006, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
Lil Shoaf gets it completely... Call it a disease call it passion.. but it is more fun.
Once again Shoaf for president... or congress.

Im sure LIl Shoaf will do a better job than Bush

Dont balme me I didnt vote for him haha.....

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ