WRX vs. STi - STi worth it? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pearlwhite10 is an unknown
WRX vs. STi - STi worth it?

I had a revelation today, and I decided that it might be a good idea to sell my WRX (which is completely paid off) and finance a new STi.

Good or bad decision? Is the STi really worth an extra $9k or however much it is?

Tom

2010 WRX Wagon (Pearl White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you can afford it and still live comfortably and not be strapped for cash all the time, then yes. No question. If it's a slight stretch, then maybe. If you have to sacrifice food every day in order to make your payments, then probably not worth it.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So you want to sell your basically brand new car for another brand new car? Yeah the STi is worth it if it's not it's not a stretch, but why now? Should have done it a few months ago when you originally bought...

-Chris
#4 Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Yep, I did the same thing, don't regret it at all.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#5 Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Most STi owners are former WRX owners. Myself included.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I hope to be an STi owner one day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 4th generation STi rocks my socks because by then, my 07 WRX will probably have well over 100k miles, be completely paid off, and I'll be ready for a fresh new daily driver.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#7 Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

thomas3322 is an unknown
Hey pearl white, what year is your wrx? Sencond question, do you plan on going to the track>?
#8 Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
He has a 2010

-Chris
#9 Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Is it worth the difference in money to you to have a car that performs better overall in stock form? It was for me. Having a wrx was great, but I had STi envy and a lot of cash in the bank. I'm a cheap bastard but I couldn't help myself.

If you have the same feeling of STi envy I can tell you that it is not likely to go away, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be satisfied with an STi either. There is always something a little better for a little more money.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#10 Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

thomas3322 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
Is it worth the difference in money to you to have a car that performs better overall in stock form? It was for me. Having a wrx was great, but I had STi envy and a lot of cash in the bank. I'm a cheap bastard but I couldn't help myself.

If you have the same feeling of STi envy I can tell you that it is not likely to go away, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be satisfied with an STi either. There is always something a little better for a little more money.
So ture! Also think about this. If you took the 9k difference and spent it on mods on your 2010 wrx. The amount of perfomence gain on the car should be greater than the sti.The only downside is that it takes most of your time shopping for the right parts etc. If time is an issue and you want a well pre built tuned car, an sti is just that.

for me, the bang for my buck was the wrx.

also read this on performence gains

Cobb 09 WRX Stage 2 Results - NASIOC
Surgeline Tuning: 2009 WRX Tuning Stage 1 and Stage 2
#11 Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Here we go again

-Chris
#12 Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Here we go again
"What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?"

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time, nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not the store, not the team and all their bullshit..."

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3322 View Post
If you took the 9k difference and spent it on mods on your 2010 wrx. The amount of perfomence gain on the car should be greater than the sti.
I sense more STi vs WRX cost/performance debating. Too many people just see numbers when they talk about "STi Performance". They forget that the STi is the better car not just because it has more power. Oh well.

-Chris
#14 Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

thomas3322 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
I sense more STi vs WRX cost/performance debating. Too many people just see numbers when they talk about "STi Performance". They forget that the STi is the better car not just because it has more power. Oh well.
Not at all. You gotta give credit to the sti for the performance. The wrx has the tedency to oversteer.
#15 Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Some of the things I like about the STI over the wrx version that aren't related to power are as follows.

The 6 spd tranny makes the car MUCH easier to drive around town in a civil and smooth manner. There is always a gear that works. I found the 5 spd to be a little awkward in certain situations. Also the 6 spd is a crisper cleaner shifting tranny even after a STS was mounted to both of them. Also the Sti clutch is actually easier to push.

The driver adjustable center differential (which can now be ordered on the rex) makes the car ALLOT more user friendly in multiple situations. IE when you "lock" the diff on water covered rutted roads there is a drastic reductions in wandering through the puddles, also when the diff is putt on a full rear bias the car doesn't bob back and forth across the ruts on hard launches into corners.

The LSD also make for better control in the snow. I was unimpressed with the wrx, but the sti (even on horrible summer tires I am wearing out) has a more solid and predicted feel. Especially with the CD locked.

The suspension is better, but could still benefit from the same treatment.

The brakes are allot better, but I wasn't particularly disappointed with the rex, I think either is good for DD and some autox time. There is a fare amount less brake fade after a few hot laps in the sti.

The STI styling seems to add enough aggressiveness to set itself apart from a standard impreza.

I am sure there is a little more, but that's what I come up with, performance is of course over and above these things. (including a more upgradable turbo layout and engine design.)

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin

Last edited by ratfink; 03-02-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: laptop keyboard