wrecked! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

HOCKEYSCOOB2 is an unknown
Angry wrecked!

well i got my dream car (2003 wrx) i had it for about 5 months, and about 3 weeks ago i was in a wreck. i rear ended a mazda, the damage to my car was the greatest everything in front of the front wheels needs to be replaced.
the body shop came back with an estimate ( about 6600) to fix.
well i found another wrx for 5800.

Should i fix the wrecked one, or keep the wrecked one for a project and buy the other one?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
What does insurance have to say about it? It will have a salvage title if you fix/rebuild it up. It will be very difficult to sell or trade in and the value decreases alot. How great of condition is the other car you are looking at? Im sure others will offer advice or suggestions also, to me its kind of a difficult decision. Good luck with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

well insurance is not covering me since i was the last car in the pile up, so all the costs are coming out of my pocket.
the other car is in great condition but has 155K on it and mine had 112K.
#4 Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I don't get it? Do you not have full coverage? I'm pretty sure that you can get it covered regardless of which car you were in it, you just may get a way higher premium for it. If you can get the other car, and it's in similar condition, I'd do that. You've gone through the zones of the car designed to crush in an impact. The car will never be as safe as it was before. You could make one a track car, and just go nuts with it, and get the other for driving around. But realize, that's huge damage on a car like ours. It had to put impact on the block, even if it doesn't show right now. There are a lot of parts that could have sustained serious damage without it being visible. I'd personally say go for the other car and decide what you want to do with the wrecked one. I'm not trying to be a buzz kill. Sorry to hear about it, but obviously you're okay and that is the important thing meaning the car did its job of protecting you.
#5 Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
1. I can see your battery.
2. Didn't your air bags go off?
3. Cut your losses. Get rid of that one and find another one.

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^^ I'm with John. Insurance should pay for it. Plain and simple.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
I feel your pain I'm waiting for mine back still from my accident...that is a good amount of damage, and a salvage title doesn't go for as much money...however they do still seem to sell ok...I watched WRXs on ebay for a while... If you could afford it I'd say get the new one and keep that one for parts or sell it. Also for everyone else...if he only has liability (which I had on my last two cars), It only covers the cost of the other person if you are responsible...so that's probably why...
#8 Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
I was in the same boat this Jan. I bought an 04 WRX, put on 2800 miles and then got T-boned . Totaled that car, but I had full coverage. I thought about buying it back but after talking to the ppl on this site, I decided to get rid of it and now I am driving an 05 with less miles!! Here is the problem I had (as I am sure you are having right now), You finally got the car of your dreams and you dont want to let go of it. I am with everyone else. Give it a kiss and let it go. The problem with fixing it is, there could be lot of "unseen" damage that you will be paying for later on. Sorry!! I feel your pain.
#9 Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
That's what I worry about in my accident (If you haven't seen it search for "My baby got rear-ended"). They're gonna fix it all up nice and everything, but I wonder if there are going to be any other problems down the road? I dunno :-/ In my case, I got hit pretty high in the trunk so nothing critical got damaged (I think/hope). :-(
#10 Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Another point is what Man Show brought up. Did you air bags go off? If they did, it is going to take $1000+ to fix just that (a must if you are going to drive it on the road). It also looks like there is alot of damage (front bumer cover, lights, radiator, fan, fenders, hood...) I am guessing that your car before the accident was worth around 8 grand on the high side. You have more than 8 grand of damage... You are losing money. Just an after thought.
#11 Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

well the air bags went off.
so i've decided to buy the new one
and keep the wrecked one and make a track car.
hope i made the right choice.
#12 Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

the new one!
Attached Images

#13 Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Clean looking car. I think you made the right decision.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oooh, nice. I think you made the right choice too.

John
07 WRX
#15 Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah i replacing the timing belt and drive belts,
it has 155K ON IT so what else should i replace?
oh the fuel pump has been replaced too.