Winter MT Driving Techniques - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Winter MT Driving Techniques

Hey everyone! Well as sad as it is, my car for the first time this season will see snow. While that sucks for the most part, that is one of the reasons why I wanted to get a Subie in the first place. Either way, this will be my first winter driving a manual, and well as my first winter driving an AWD vehicle. I've been looking on random websites about winter driving and came across a few tips they give considering MTs, but I wonder if those comments still apply when considering AWD...Pretty much though...how is it driving in the winter in a AWD MT vehicle? All I've had so far was to FWD AT Hondas, so let me hear some tips/comments about it! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Well I'm from Iowa where we get alot of snow, the last storm that just hit dumped 17 inches. I have driven in pretty much all types of weather with the WRX and it got around really well, nothing really changes that much unless you really get on it and once it builds boost it will just burn out in the snow, which i liked lol. But really like i said nothing really changed to much just don't get over confident with your driving skills and you will do fine. Also it has alot to do with what type of tire you are running as well you will want to get yourself a real nice set of either winter tires or good all season tires.
#3 Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

TotalChaos is an unknown
I was very suprised at how well my 09 did in the snow here in Washington. My car does have VDC however and the little light in the instrument cluster was almost constantly on. lol But I am running the factory Dunlops at the moment and I have no problem braking or making turns. I turned the VDC off and tried it the other night and it was pretty much the same but you have to be a little easier through the corners but I still did alright for not having snow tires.
#4 Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The nice thing about AWD is when you start losing control in the snow (provided you're not already going too fast), you can usually give it a little steady gas and steer in the direction you want to go and the car will correct itself. Other than that, try driving with the RPMs down low until you get the hang of it and then let 'er rip (safely).

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
i also live in iowa last storm we saw bout 14 inches plus huge drifts. i have winter tires on my wrx and only thing i can find is that down shifting works better than breaking becuase sometimes the wrx will want to slide under brakeing. as far as driving long as you dont build lot of boost its a breeze. but if you let it build its alot of fun and pritty easy to correct awd is fun in the winter
#6 Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Thanks for the comments guys...now I have some more confidence for whenever the snow decides to fall again...I swear yesterday leaving work it wa about 45-50 degrees out...def not good for snow fun And I got a pretty new set of all season Goodyear Eagle F1's, so from what I hear they should be pretty good!
#7 Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah I usually save the fun for backroads/industrial parks. When driving normally though, I try and stay a gear higher than I normally would to keep the torque down, limiting any wheel slip if I hit an icy patch.

-Chris
#8 Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Another thing to keep in mind is if you are already parked or stopped on snow/or any slippery surface and trying to pull out/go forward, the whole car will generally track sideways. Instead of the front or back coming around on you. One of those great things about AWD. Thats about the only issue I encounter once in and awhile when not paying attention.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
haha ok.... and well rcrs or whoever...is it better to keep it in a higher gear or a lower gear? years ago my grandfather told me to keep it in a lower gear (I think) is this the wrong thing to do?
#10 Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Shift early and keep the RPMs low.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#11 Old 12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
ok then... merci beaucoup