What would you get? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 10-11-2004, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

chuckwagon is an unknown
look at it this way you can spend 32 and change for the sti and have a car off the showroom that handles great and can out perform most production cars on the road today. The evo is very much the same but they just don't hold up as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by T WREX
Saleen is a company that basically buys mustangs off the production line and preps them. SVT is a division of Ford.

Saleen has some kind of tuner deal with Ford. If I'm not mistaken you can buy a Saleen at certain authorized Ford dealers.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-11-2004, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlreynolds21
The saleens come in 3 packeges. the first is just basically a body kit and rims, with 10 extra hp
saleen's are not so much about horsepower or body kits, they are mostly about SUSPENSION, which Saleen completly re-does. The body kits are actually wind tunnel and race-proven, and the power increase is about reliable performance.

the mach 1 mustang does 63.6mph in the slalom
the cobra does 64.3mph in the slalom
the CHEAPEST Saleen mustang does 67.2 in the slalom which is HUGE

both those factory mustangs beat saleen in the 1/4 mile.

oh wanna know what the STi does, 68.4, that is for comparison...

so to review, Saleen takes a mustang for all its strong points and Strengthens it's weakest point, its handling.

course to get a mustang that handles as good as a WRX you are gonna have to shell out $36,629
post #19 of 22 Old 10-11-2004, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Racer
oh wanna know what the STi does, 68.4, that is for comparison...

so to review, Saleen takes a mustang for all its strong points and Strengthens it's weakest point, its handling.

course to get a mustang that handles as good as a WRX you are gonna have to shell out $36,629
I agree. Something else, when comparing the '05 STi with the with the '05 evo 8 or MR (i forget which one), the best part was the STi finially outted the Evo in the 600' Salom breaking the 70.0 mph mark.

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
post #20 of 22 Old 10-11-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mlreynolds21 is an unknown
Thanks that kinda helps my decison making. I really am not about strait line power that much anyway. I really like the curves. How does the STi compare to a zo6, does anyone know that. Not able to get one of those bet my freind has one and omg can it handle. How does the STi hang with it, in all aspects.
post #21 of 22 Old 10-12-2004, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
I have driven both and i perfer the STi, but that's only b/c i like a smaller, tighter handling car. Plus, that big V8 doesn't leave much room for improvement. Both are nice cars, but the extra 20k is only worth it if you are an older person who likes vettes. The vette, for obviouss reasons, wouldn't be called a "boy-racer/rocket". It's a car for my father, not for me. ;-) All about personal preference. I will say this, no matter what anyone says, for $31k the STi DOES hang with the big boys, and to me, that's impressive in and of itself.

Me? I like forced induction over Natural aspiration.

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
post #22 of 22 Old 10-12-2004, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlreynolds21
Thanks that kinda helps my decison making. I really am not about strait line power that much anyway. I really like the curves. How does the STi compare to a zo6, does anyone know that. Not able to get one of those bet my freind has one and omg can it handle. How does the STi hang with it, in all aspects.
z06 = 12.9 1/4 mile (beats STi)
slalom 67.5

sti 13.3 1/4
slalom 68.4

(these are 2003 numbers I believe)

so the Sti is a trade up in handling, and a trade down in 1/4 mile...
but hey, you could buy an access port for 600 bucks, beat the vette in the 1/4 too and still have enough money left to buy a mustang GT in addition to the STi rather than buy the vette