Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   What is a Pedalbox? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/what-pedalbox-42306/)

Haw1es 12-10-2013 04:34 PM

What is a Pedalbox?

So I've been poking around our wonderful forum today and found an ad for a "Pedalbox". Its by twm performance. I read about it because it intrigued me but I still can't figure out what it does. It says that it reduces throttle lag by boosting the electrical signal. How would this decreases throttle lag? An electrical impulse travels at a mostly fixed rate, so how can you improve it?

Can anyone explain this any better? I'm just curious to how/why it works.

Vew 12-10-2013 04:45 PM

Seems like a gimmick to me. I've never noticed a delay in throttle response. Only time I have was with a piggy back UTEC when it switched tables from closed loop to open. Then again, I also don't have drive by wire; I have a throttle cable. Maybe someone else can answer it better. First time I've seen this.

turmic 12-10-2013 04:49 PM

It looks like a aftermarket SI-Drive. It alters your throttle position and the DBW response. Less throttle position for more response....Don't see it being a big deal. Just makes it easier to be a lead foot.

20% gas pedal = 20% throttle body response (stock)
20% gas pedal = 35% throttle body response (sport mode)
20% gas pedal = 45% throttle body response (sport plus mode)

Something like that....it can't make your car any faster..just makes it go to WOT faster.

Vew 12-10-2013 04:53 PM

Ah, that makes more sense. Anyone not familiar with Subaru's SI drive.

[url=http://www.subaru-global.com/tec_sidrive.html]SUBARU | Subaru Technology | SI-DRIVE[/url]

turmic 12-10-2013 04:54 PM

I kept updating my response above....lol

psinuse 12-10-2013 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This;

Haw1es 12-10-2013 05:29 PM

^ +1 that's the best answer ever.
Still don't get why it would be "better" to have 20% pedal position be 45% throttle position. Wouldn't it be best to have it 1/1 for better control? But that's just me

turmic 12-10-2013 05:57 PM

Its not technically better unless you're flooring it at a track day event and even then its minimum gains. Unless the normal mode is like the Intelligent mode of the SI which is less throttle per pedal for adverse conditions.

sleepr 12-10-2013 09:03 PM

I've seen a couple of these products and their descriptions are written in a way that makes it seem they are revolutionary and/or doing something mindblowing. But when you actually read into what they actually do, they are just a circuit board that can alter the accelerator electrical input to the ECU (as Kirt had illustrated above).

I first encountered this device being used on a drift car, and I can understand why it might be a useful tool. However, I find it more intriguing to dial down the throttle response rate for situations where wheel spin is highly likely (and unwanted).

I think I might have just repeated everything that Kirt mentioned...

turmic 12-10-2013 09:40 PM

[quote=sleepr;410914]I've seen a couple of these products and their descriptions are written in a way that makes it seem they are revolutionary and/or doing something mindblowing. But when you actually read into what they actually do, they are just a circuit board that can alter the accelerator electrical input to the ECU (as Kirt had illustrated above).

I first encountered this device being used on a drift car, and I can understand why it might be a useful tool. However, I find it more intriguing to dial down the throttle response rate for situations where wheel spin is highly likely (and unwanted).

I think I might have just repeated everything that Kirt mentioned...[/quote]

Well, great minds tend to think alike you know. :D

psinuse 12-11-2013 04:10 PM

[quote=Haw1es;410802]^ +1 that's the best answer ever.
Still don't get why it would be "better" to have 20% pedal position be 45% throttle position. Wouldn't it be best to have it 1/1 for better control? But that's just me[/quote]

Please don't tell me that isn't right?...Man I knew it.:D