What Next?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
What Next??

Ok, so i have been building/modding/tweaking/learning all about my wrx for the past 2 years now. I have tried to take a carefully researched approach before modifiying, and i am pretty happy with the results....but i want more! I got the addiction and i can stop modding. So, given my current mod list below, what should i do next??? I was hoping not to go to big on power because i can not afford a tranny/engine rebuild at at this time. All opinions are welcome!

MODIFICATIONS:

Suspension
GROUP N Engine Mounts
GROUP N Transmission Mount
STI Aluminum control arms
SPT Subframe Brace
EBAY Strut tower brace (front + rear)
EIBACH Pro-kit lowering springs
KYB GR-2 Struts
KARTBOY Short shifter
KARTBOY Shifter bushings (front + rear)
KARTBOY Rear subframe lock bolts
KARTBOY Endlinks (front + rear)
WHITELINE 24mm adj. Front Sway bar
WHITELINE 22mm adj. Rear Sway bar
WHITELINE Steering rack bushings
WHITELINE Anti-Lift Kit (comfort)
WHITELINE Roll-Center Adjusters and Bump Steer Kit
TiC Shifter pivot bushings
TiC Shift linkage bushings
TiC Differential Outrigger Bushings (comfort)
TiC Rear Differential Mount Bushings (comfort)
TiC Transmission Crossmember Buhsings
TiC Fender Braces
SUPERPRO Trailing arm Bushings (front + rear)
SUPERPRO Front inner control arm bushings
ROTA Grid wheels 17 x 7.5 with 235/40/17 Falken RT-615 tires
Performance alignment 0o toe F/R, -2 o camber Front, -1o camber Rear

Power
COBB AccessPort PROTUNE by Draco Performance 295awhp/352awtq @ 21 psi
GM 3-port boost solenoid
MADDAD v2 Downpipe w/ divorced wastegate and high-flow cat (heat wrapped and sprayed)
MADDAD Whisper cat-back exhaust
GRIMMSPEED Ceramic coated crosspipe
SPT Short ram intake (wrapped in heat reflective tape)
SPT Intake heat shield
SPT Turbo heat shield
SAMCO Turbo inlet hose
GIZZMO phenolic thermal intake manifold gaskets
WARLBORO 255 fuel pump
IHI VF43 Turbocharger
CSS Performance TMIC
STI intercooler splitter and bellows

Brakes
BF GOODRIDGE Stainless Steel Brake Lines
HAWK HPS brake pads
PERRIN master cylinder brace “Stiffi”

Exterior
D.I.Y. cleared and painted headlights black
04/05 STI Tail lights w/ tinted inserts
JDM STI 5-speed gear pattern
20% tint all the way around
LED parking light and license plate light conversion
Replica STI polyurethane front lip
WRX front license plate delete
RALLYARMOR ## mud flaps
Grillcraft lower and upper grills (black)
SharpHID conversion kit 35w 4300k

Interioir
STI “Cherry Blossom Red” Pedals
STI Floor mats
JDM red hazard button
D.I.Y. Plasti-Dip interior trim black (dash panels, vent rings, A/B/C pillars)
Black Sueded headliner
WC LATHE WERKS Shift Knob
MB 52mm gauge pod w/ MADDAD electronic boost gauge
ALPINE CDA-9887 head unit
MEMPHIS M-Class speakers (front + rear)
BAZOOKA Tube 10” Subwoofer
KENWOOD 350W amplifier

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Wow! :eek: That's quite a list of mods you have there. If you want more power, the best thing you can do is get a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, and another tune. But then you're probably going to be approaching drivetrain component breaking territory... so, add a set of aftermarket gears and other drivetrain goodies to that list too and then possibly a rebuilt engine with forged internals and other high hp goodies to promote longevity. I think you know what you need to do - get ready to shell out some serious cash - but maybe you just want someone else to tell you that you're at that point to justify the reasoning in your own head. Am I right? Considering the amount of work you've already done, it's probably in your best interest to NOT upgrade to an STi and just keep building on to your WRX. Gotta say though, I'm jealous... you have many of the parts I still want for my WRX

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Sounds like high time to sit on it until you have enough money to upgrade the transmission. Then of course like mentioned above, bigger power mods. But the question is, what are you really looking for? Seems like you almost all the suspension/handling covered, the power looks to be very respectable, along with tasteful asthetics.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
How about a pitch stop mount?

If you dont to go too big on power i would recommend a 20g turbo. It's nothing dramatic and will be a nice improvement.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #5 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
How about a pitch stop mount?

If you dont to go too big on power i would recommend a 20g turbo. It's nothing dramatic and will be a nice improvement.
OOOOOO! i forgot about that. i actually already have the kartboy one installed, i guess i just forgot to add it to the list. None the less it was one of my FAVORITE mods, and that is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. Good lookin out
post #6 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
manshow/newtothegame - your both right. I guess that was kind of what i was expecting i just needed to hear someone else confirm my thoughts. I would love to "build" the tranny/motor but alas, that is WAY out of my budget for the time being. I am really happy with the car as it is, and i have loved modding it every step of the way.

I really do not want to stop the modding process, but i feel as if i have come to the end of the road. If i want to keep going i am gonna have to really step it up and shell out big.

I was hoping there were still more mods out there that maybe i missed and could do for not much $$$. As in terms of what i want out of the car...well everything!!! i think WRX is one of the most balanced cars and i want to make mine more or less the best! ( kinda the general mentality around here right?)
post #7 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Do you autocross it?

You could always invest on driving schools now. Put all those parts to work for you. A good investment and a blast.

I wonder what class you would be in?

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #8 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
sorry for the triple post, but i have always considered replacing the driver's seat with something that will actually hold me in place a little better. BUT up until now i always thought the money would be better spent in performance. Since i am running out of stuff maybe nows a good time to consider, but i dont know the first thing about racing seats.

Whoever knows their stuff, can someone reccommend some good seats to replace these AWFUL 'TR' seats. they SUCK! I am 6'3 200lbs so i am on the tall/big side. I dont care how light a seat is or what its made out of, or what logo is on it. I just want it to be really comfy and hold you in tight (and it must be compatible if i ever want to track the car if that makes a difference). I like the feeling of those shoulder and hip pads that almost wrap around you and brace your sides. I sat in an EVOX and i thought those seats should come in the wrx too
post #9 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
Do you autocross it?

You could always invest on driving schools now. Put all those parts to work for you. A good investment and a blast.

I wonder what class you would be in?
i havent AutoX yet because i spent all my money on parts, but i am trying to get involved this season. i know the local car club gets involved so im going to the next one for sure!

i read on the whiteline website that my ALK alone puts me in "modified" class. I dont know the heirarchy of the classes but i know id probably be up against some badass drivers
post #10 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The 20G is a great turbo. Im running it and loving it, not bad spool, great power and I have some room for more when the time comes. I will let you know how the transmission feels once I get the new one in and back stateside to put it through its paces.

As far as seats go, I see alot of people running one variation or another of a Sparco seat. I have seen the Corbuea (spelling??) in person, and sat in them. They are nice, and the prices arent that bad. ALong with getting the seat(s) dont forget about a harness and of course the bar for it also. Im not sure what your budget is or what you are looking to spend on them. If you get into Auto-X, best of luck to you. I would eventually like to get involved in it myself.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
good info

For the longest time gruppe-s had a good deal to get the sparco harness bar w/ 4-pts. I was all ready to get them then i backed out at the last minute because of this "submarine-ing issue" i was under the impression that racing harness>stock seatbelt for safety but apparently thats not necessarily true, it all depends on the design. I dont know about the belts, and dont really care until i have to get them for track (assuming they are req.) use.

I do NOT want to spend $1000s for seats. Heck i dont even want to shell out for a passenger seat, id rather put that to performance, but i do want a driver seat. I want to spend as little money as possible, yet still get a good quality seat. NOTHING CHEAP, but NOTHING RIDICULOUS like some limited edition prodrive seats made out of astronaut fibers blah.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM

I can understand where you are coming from about the seats. I have really wanted them, but I at least have seats that are compatiable with harnesses. Corbeau offers several styles of both seat, and color to fit your car. Some of course are also able to use the stock seatbelt for DD and put in/on or strap in to the harness for race day.

I attached a pic of the style of seat I was looking at. It has two different widths also depending on your waist size. Its reclinable, and can be used with either a harness or stock belt system.
Attached Images

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #13 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
I know you dont want to spend alot of money....but the OEM bucket seats in the new WRX and STI are really supportive. I dont slide around AT ALL. They are also very comfy and you can find sets of them on EBAY for about $800...probably cheaper if you look around..
post #14 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

09azwrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by booosted09 View Post
I know you dont want to spend alot of money....but the OEM bucket seats in the new WRX and STI are really supportive. I dont slide around AT ALL. They are also very comfy and you can find sets of them on EBAY for about $800...probably cheaper if you look around..
I have to agree with boosted my 09 seats are awesome! all though I'm not sure how a 4 point harness would work with them. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement