well imma say it - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

guitarguy20 is an unknown
well imma say it

the new 2011 sti, from the side mind you. looks like the saturn ion with wide body meets the evo. if i buy a 2011 it would be the wrx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Totally agree, the WRX looks great but I am not at all happy with the new look of the STi sedan.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#3 Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...sounds like you guys are experiencing the same thing the majority of the Subaru community did back in late 07/early 08 when they first saw the "new" STi hatch/5 door. Almost everybody hated it at first, but now the majority like it. I bet the 2011 STi sedan will grow on you guys the same way too (but maybe not - there are always exceptions).

If I were following Subarus closely back in 2002 when the bugeye first came out, I'd be willing to bet that many people had similar opinions of that too since it looked so much different than the frist gen WRX/STi/2.5RS. I bet they were saying things like "the round headlights make it look like a neon" or "it's so ugly, I'd definitely buy a used first gen instead." New models of cars can have that effect on people - we are creatures of habit and naturally don't like change.

In my opinion, these cars were never really meant to strike most people as "beautiful" cars. I'll admit, they're certainly not the most attractive cars in the world, all things considered. It's more of what they can do for the price that attracts most enthusiasts. Sure, some people really like the look of them, but it's not like seeing a Corvette or a Ferrari and the curves and style make almost everybody stop and appreciate them. When it comes down to it, the Imprezas are compact, 4 door sedans or hatchbacks with big obnoxious hood scoops, 4 banger foreign engines, usually loud obnoxious exhausts, unusual exhaust tones, sometimes they have excessively large spoilers and gold wheels or other wild body effects, and they're often driven spiritedly by teenagers/young adults/enthusiasts which can paint a bad picture for the public's eye, so most people probably don't have a very favorable opinion of the cars. But to those of us who own and/or have driven them and can appreciate the history of the cars and what they can do, they're all pretty great.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cars don't really grow on me. I am not a fan of the look of the bugeyes, I like the look of the sedans from 04-07 (excluding the STI wing) but not the wagons, and I like the look of the wagon from 08-10 but not the sedan (although I could tolerate it more than the others I don't like).

That said, there are exceptions. I have seen bugeyes with external modifications that look very nice. Overall though, my original impression hasn't really wavered on any model or wrx/sti. The new sti is a wrx with an evo wing, blah.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#5 Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
At least they're still going to offer the STi as the hatch as well. I can't say I like the sedan but the hatch still looks nice.

-Chris
#6 Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
subaru needs to re-design the whole back half of the car. the spoiler looks out of place. and those tail lights still kill me, and all the badges are crammed together. i really want subaru to come out with a throw back version. something like a mixture between the 04-07 but with a modern spin to it. flared and agressive but in subtle manner with styling ques that make you think they took forever on them. (if that makes sense). Now that would be super legit.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#7 Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Ah... the new STi's... I don't love the sedan (yet) but I don't hate it either. I do like the hatch a lot though.

The reason I don't like the sedan has more to do with the rear dash/plastic panel and the rear tail lights than anything alse. Anyway, the practicality of the hatch (which has the most horrendous tail lights Subaru has ever designed) just makes me want to trade my 0 WRX for one, every time I see one.

I'm on the same page as "man show" is. It'll grow on most of you. It has happened to me every single time they have made a facelift/remodel...
#8 Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

kyfi87 is an unknown
I am going to start off by saying that I love hatchbacks, always have. When the '08 STI came out though, I thought it was lame and a crime against what STI's were meant to be. Then, slowly but surely... It grew on me. Now I love the thing, still not wild about the tail lights, but hey, thats just my humble opinion. I guess what I am saying is that give it a little time, and I am sure most of us will hold open arms and welcome it to the Subaru family (seeing as how its an STI its not like we were going to turn it away, but you guys know what I mean). Man show said it best. I am pretty pumped they are keeping the hatch too, like I said, it grew on me. Now that we are getting a choice of two STI's, does anyone think we may get a spec c or something over here? Just throwin it out there.
#9 Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i think the new STI sedan looks pretty mint. I like the WRX and STI hatches and i would have bought the 5 door....but those god awful tail lights sealed the deal on me buying a sedan.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#10 Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think my favorite part about the 2011 STi sedan is the flared rear fenders... they're so sharp.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#11 Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
^^^
couldn't agree more.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#12 Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
FUBAR....

Subaru really screwed this one up.

NEVER have I seen a car that ugly. I'm sorry, old school FTW.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

No way that is true. The Scion xB and the Nissan Cube are basically a painted metal box on wheels.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#14 Old 04-04-2010, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anybody see this photoshop?

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#15 Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
yes please

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi