Washing engine bay - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

jizzlets is an unknown
Washing engine bay

I think I have squirrels living in the engine. Everytime I look under the hood, I see dirt and foot prints all over the engine.

Is it safe to pressure wash the engine? Will it ruin the inter cooler or the turbo? The dirt annoys me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Your turbo will be fine, unless you hit it with extremely cold water immediately after running the car pretty hard. Metal parts generally don't take kindly to extreme temperature fluctuations. Your intercooler will be ok if you clean it from a short distance - just don't get really close to the fins with a super high pressure water stream because they bend easily. Just remember, it gets hit by rain when you drive it on the highway, so you probably don't want to hit it much harder than that.

Before you pressure wash your engine though, you might want to try just washing it with regular car wash soap and water first. You could probably use a mild degreaser if things are really grimy.

I clean my engine once in a while. Here are some tips:

I always cover my air intake with a plastic bag and a rubber band.

I also make sure the engine has been off for a while and is cool to the touch before I spray it with relatively cool, but super high quality garden hose water

I also try to avoid getting water in or around the alternator as well as the fuse box area, but I usually end up soaking everything... so far, I haven't had any issues.

I also try to make sure to do it on a relatively warm day so the water will evaporate a little quicker and I let the car sit for a bit before I try to turn it on. The belts usually squeal for a second at first, but then everything sounds normal.

As a last step, I spray almost everything with a quick detailer spray and wipe it off with a microfiber rag to get rid of most of the water spots.

Good luck!
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 04-14-2014, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
^Thats pretty much exactly what I do, I just soak it with some degreaser, avoid intake, alternator, and fuse box, and pressure wash as gently as I can. Let it dry and spray detailer on plastic bits and hoses and wipe with a micro fiber towel.
#4 Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I do it with a hose. I cover the alternator with aluminum foil (be careful not to short to the + terminal) and bag the filter. I don't rinse first. Cover the entire engine bay in P21S Total Auto Wash. Let it sit for about 5 min. Take a brush and scrub everything very well. Rinse off, then dry. I then go thru with Aerospace 303 Protectant on all the plastic pieces and polish up the IC pipes (FMIC).

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

1kwikf is more helpful than not
this is how i do it (yes i know its not a subaru, but i do them all the same way)

2013 SWP WRX Premium