Trilemma - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Trilemma

A number of factors have raised my inusrance premium to $500 a month. Understandably, my parents think it's too high. I am spoiled, so they pay for it, but next year they said I'll have to contribute. Here is how they will calculate my part:

Rate w/ WRX - Rate w/ regular na 4-banger.

I know the insurance for the wrx is insanely high, so I expect the difference to be significant. I cannot justify paying more than $200 a month out of my pocket, so if it comes down to it, I must look for alternatives. Here's what I've come up with:

1. Sell wrx, buy gc8, motor swap
2. Buy a beater car, keep the wrx
3. Ditch subaru & buy a different car

1. Seems to be the most attractive option at first. The gc8 will be lighter, faster, get better gas mileage, and have cheaper insurance. However... I will have to do most of the swap (motor + tranny) all by myself. In another wrx it would be no problem, but gc8's are unknown territory. With a new (or different) car comes new problems. Some parts will be incompatible, some will be lower quality/older/less reliable, etc. Plus there is the hassle that comes with having 2 cars at the same time for swapping parts. I will also have to make the wrx sellable, meaning... I have to put it back to stock and save money to get all my parts painted, and so on.
2. Seems like the easy solution. A cheap na 4 cyl will save me gas money, it will release my dependence on the wrx (thereby giving more freedom to mod it), and will allow me to list my wrx as a secondary mode of transportation, which will drop my insurance... but by how much? A second car will also give rise to new expenses; on top of insurance there's registration and maintenance. So in the long run, will it be cheaper?
3. Of course, this is a last resort. I don't want to do this, because I love my car and I've put more work into that thing than most parents put into raising their children. What's more is, I'm not even done with it. I've never gotten a real, legit tune, never got my grill, skirts, lip, bumper painted, haven't gotten to actually USE a bunch of my mods (ewg, meth) so it would be more than sad to let it go before or immediately after I finish. But if it comes down to it, if I can't afford to keep it, then I am willing to sell it.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Well, I would START by calling up the insurance company and asking how much you would save. I think you are deceiving yourself that most of that $500 premium is because you drive a WRX. More likely it is due to your driving record which, no offense, is just as relevant on any other car you're insured on. In fact, your insurance might be so high because you are insured as an additional driver on your parents vehicles.

I would wager you would save <$100 a month switching cars. That's not much money to justify something as extreme as a motor swap. Also, I cannot follow for a second what you intend to do with a GC8 and a WRX. Owning two cars would only seem to worsen your problem. I hope you don't think that's a sound financial move.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That's a good point. I admit I'm spoiled, so I don't know how most of this stuff works. It's an odd thing to say, but I would be relieved to hear that insurance for something like a civic would be almost as high. I do intend to call them, but my parents only mentioned this a while ago so I won't be able to make the call til tomorrow. I guess I sort of panicked...

If I get a gc8 I will not keep the wrx. The only reason I mentioned having 2 cars at once is because I would need to keep the wrx for at least a month to do the entire swap. The whole point of getting the gc8 would be to have one car with cheaper insurance.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 AM

Garage
So what do you do with a gutted WRX chassis? You expect somebody to happily lop that up? You expect this whole transition to not cost you THOUSANDS while saving you very little per month? Oh, and you'll now have all the wonders of a motor swapped car to deal with. Anything but cheap.

Seriously, saving money and motor swap do not belong in the same sentence.

*EDIT* eh, sorry for attitude. It's late. I'll turn in before I get grumpier.

post #5 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I'm not entirely stupid, I know the problems that come with motor swaps because I've already dealt with 2 of them w/ the same exact motor that would be going in the rs. The only diff is that the chassis will not be that of a wrx.

I can think of multiple places to get a stock wrx motor for less than $1.5k. Putting the wrx back to stock would be a hassle, but certainly not impossible.

I did not know I would save very little per month. As i said in the op, I would only consider doing one of these if I would be paying more than $200 a month.

I have more I'd like to say to show you my idea isn't really as stupid as you make it seem (although I admit it would be a huge pita), but there's no point in discussing that because I already got my answer. The difference shouldn't be more than $100 a month, so I will deal with the price difference.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
I don't know about the motor swap, but a gc8 would be cool. Although, you could just sell the wrx after you make it stock, and then buy a gc8 and then buy a new motor to swap, instead of jacking your wrx's motor....

Some insurance companies have multiple car discounts, so if you did have two cars, there would be a slight discount, but you'd still be paying more the second car... However, in my insurance policy, we have 4 drivers, my stepdad, mom, brother, and me. And we have a wrecked 86' Corolla sitting around, and it actually SAVES us over $200 a month by having it insured.

Our insurance agent arranges our drivers for whatever car that gives us the cheapest rates. If your agent could do that for you, it could possibly save you a lot of money. So say, you; being younger than your parents, have higher insurance rates, get your dad or mom as the primary driver on your WRX (whoever has the best driving record) , and you secondary driver... See if your insurance company will arrange it around also, so everyone saves money...

I hope something in there made sense and helps, if not, it must be my headache...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
post #7 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

That's what they were doing. The problem is, my parents moved... to another state. So that's one of the "factors" that led to my insurance being $500 a month.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
You could try pricing out your own. Just go through the phone book one by one. Someone has got to be cheaper. I got rates that varied between $160 and $350 doing that.

Honestly, I think you need to get an old legacy for a while. I thought my insurance was bad, but $500 a month? Sounds like the insurance companies' way of telling you that you don't need a sports car. If I racked up a $500 a month premium, my parents would've kicked me out.

Not trying to be a jerk, there just don't seem to be too many options. OH! You could just drive uninsured. That'd be way cheaper.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #9 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So my parents changed their minds or something & told me what I will be paying is:

rate now - rate w/ CLEAN record and civic.

So it doesn't even matter if I sell my car for a civic, I will still have to pay. There is no way I can keep my wrx and pay for that. It will definitely be a few hundred a month. I will try to get some quotes, but starting with wawanesa I was already ineligible because I've had 1 accident and 1 ticket within the past 3 years. I am screwed. Suicide is definitely starting to look like a good alternative. If I don't sign on here for more than 2 weeks, you know that I am gone. Email my gf for part inquiries, she will be deciding who gets dibs!

... and "sports car?" PLEASE. That pisses me off so much. This thing is not a sports car. Stock it is slow, ugly, bland, an f'ing sedan, and not sporty looking at all! What the hell!!! WHY tokyo drift, WHY?!?!?
post #10 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Garage
Well, your driving record is the real problem then not the Subaru. I commend your parents for making you pay four your own driving record blemishes.

Do you have a Job to help pay for this? That would maybe make it your decision instead of theirs?

post #11 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

No job right now. I've applied for 30+ jobs, but no one wants to hire me... I will probably have to settle for minimum wage.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jubaru is an unknown
Dude don't complain on the driving record. There's always a worse scenario out there. Im 17 and have been in two accidents, 3 tickets and totalled my 2003 WRX 3 weeks ago. You think your in misery? Think again. I feel for you but there is always someone worse. I know that and you just gotta look on the bright side. (my insurance is $800 a month)
I no longer can drive until im 18 because i can't pay my own insurance. :/
Its sad...
but its life
live and learn
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
my insurance quoted me 400 per month, but because i insured another car with just liability i pay 327 for both combined. just talk to your insurance company and see whats going on.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

This thread is done. Please don't post on here anymore. Better yet, mods, please close it.