A number of factors have raised my inusrance premium to $500 a month. Understandably, my parents think it's too high. I am spoiled, so they pay for it, but next year they said I'll have to contribute. Here is how they will calculate my part:
Rate w/ WRX - Rate w/ regular na 4-banger.
I know the insurance for the wrx is insanely high, so I expect the difference to be significant. I cannot justify paying more than $200 a month out of my pocket, so if it comes down to it, I must look for alternatives. Here's what I've come up with:
1. Sell wrx, buy gc8, motor swap
2. Buy a beater car, keep the wrx
3. Ditch subaru & buy a different car
1. Seems to be the most attractive option at first. The gc8 will be lighter, faster, get better gas mileage, and have cheaper insurance. However... I will have to do most of the swap (motor + tranny) all by myself. In another wrx it would be no problem, but gc8's are unknown territory. With a new (or different) car comes new problems. Some parts will be incompatible, some will be lower quality/older/less reliable, etc. Plus there is the hassle that comes with having 2 cars at the same time for swapping parts. I will also have to make the wrx sellable, meaning... I have to put it back to stock and save money to get all my parts painted, and so on.
2. Seems like the easy solution. A cheap na 4 cyl will save me gas money, it will release my dependence on the wrx (thereby giving more freedom to mod it), and will allow me to list my wrx as a secondary mode of transportation, which will drop my insurance... but by how much? A second car will also give rise to new expenses; on top of insurance there's registration and maintenance. So in the long run, will it be cheaper?
3. Of course, this is a last resort. I don't want to do this, because I love my car and I've put more work into that thing than most parents put into raising their children. What's more is, I'm not even done with it. I've never gotten a real, legit tune, never got my grill, skirts, lip, bumper painted, haven't gotten to actually USE a bunch of my mods (ewg, meth) so it would be more than sad to let it go before or immediately after I finish. But if it comes down to it, if I can't afford to keep it, then I am willing to sell it.