Time for a upgrade? - Subaru WRX Forum
View Poll Results: What car should I upgrade to!?
05 Aspen White STi 9 81.82%
06 GG EVO9 MR 1 9.09%
MAZDASPEED3 0 0%
89 240SX SR20 0 0%
Honda Civic Hatchback EK9 0 0%
Other 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Time for a upgrade?

Well the time has come to finally upgrade I hope! I need your guy's help to see what kind of car I should get! I know ultimately it's up to me to decide but I want YOUR guys/girls opinions!

BTW, I am open to suggestions about different cars. American cars, Import cars, anything. Not really looking for higher end cars! You are only young once! Yeah I would look cool with a BMW, but when I am 40 and I drive a STi, I probably won't look cool. Haha

I have a couple of choices so far....

1) 05 Aspen White STi. I can get one for $23-24k with under 35,000 miles on it. Plans for it would be basic stage 2 and a protune. Most of my knowledge is on Subaru's so that is a plus! Interior is the best out of all the choices.

2) 06 GG Mitsubishi 9 MR. $23-24k just like the STi. Mod for mod this car will make more power than the STi. Plans for this car would be basic stage 2 and a protune. Interior is alright but the seats make up for it =).

3) Mazdaspeed3. I know it's a FWD but I live in San Diego so it doesn't really matter. Whole new platform to start on but for the price of the car I can get a brand new one with less than 10k miles on it so that is another plus! They are cheap/easy to mod and make power too.

4) 89 240sx. The 240 has a SR20 in it and the price is $14k. This car looks is built right and looks amazing. The only thing holding me back from this is that the SR20 is COMPLETELY illegal. But with all the mods on it, I might want do it! And its RWD so that equals fun =)

5) 2000 Honda Civic Hatchback EK9. $6k. Yeah its a FWD, single cam, etc. But the car looks AMAZING. One of the cleanest hatches I have seen. Plans would be buy the car and switch it out with a built motor with the money left over from selling my car.

6) Any other ideas?!

(No SRT4's )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
This should be an easy choice for you. STi FTW!! I have a protune stage 2 sti and i love it. It's more than enough for a while. You won't regret it. Have u driven an STi at it's limits before? You will be impressed.

An evo would be the only thing i might consider besides the sti but then again, it is a mitsubishi.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes I have driven my brothers stage 2 STi a couple times. It was the COBB OTS Stage 2 map and the power was AMAZING. He recently got it protuned but I have not driven it. How much WHP did you make baller v24?
#4 Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
STI FTW!!!!...my friends 05 on the COBB Stg. 2 beta race map made 303whp on pump gas...like 330 on race

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#5 Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
STi gets my vote.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#6 Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Close your eyes and think about what you really want. Buy that. Changing cars every few years is terribly expensive. Get something you can live with for 100k miles. That's my advise.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

I know most of you guys would pick STi, but keep in mind MONEY is sort of a issue. Get the STi/EVO but not mod for awhile, buy a 240sx fully built and only worry about getting pulled over, or get a EK9 and go all motor?

If I go EK9, I don't want to go turbo because it's illegal and cops would see it right off the bat, if I go all-motor it will be a lot harder to see. And plus, getting beat by all motor and N/A is priceless =). And NO i will not make this car look ricey.... hahahaha.

If I go 240SX with the SR20, pretty much all I would do is at most get a retune. This car is built up from the ground. The only thing is, it is owned by a drifter so I know this car is beat on. But what car isn't beat on? Theres a risk of buying this car but doesn't the 14k price tag sound nice for a fully built car all around?

STi/EVO right off the bat would be the best platforms to start on. Best interior/exterior.

All of the cars mentioned above have a HUGE variety of parts/forums/etc. So there will always be help around.

Most likely ALL the cars will reach the 100k mile mark. The MS3 is still fairly new so I don't really know about engine reliability. My friend put it this way, 90% of Subaru's ever made are most likely still on the road. Mitsubishi has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty which equals they have problems. Honda's/Nissan's are known to last a very long time.

Last edited by tuner ready; 06-04-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added more stuff
#8 Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
I know most of you guys would pick STi, but keep in mind MONEY is sort of a issue. Get the STi/EVO but not mod for awhile, buy a 240sx fully built and only worry about getting pulled over, or get a EK9 and go all motor?

If I go EK9, I don't want to go turbo because it's illegal and cops would see it right off the bat, if I go all-motor it will be a lot harder to see. And plus, getting beat by all motor and N/A is priceless =). And NO i will not make this car look ricey.... hahahaha.

If I go 240SX with the SR20, pretty much all I would do is at most get a retune. This car is built up from the ground. The only thing is, it is owned by a drifter so I know this car is beat on. But what car isn't beat on? Theres a risk of buying this car but doesn't the 14k price tag sound nice for a fully built car all around?

STi/EVO right off the bat would be the best platforms to start on. Best interior/exterior.

All of the cars mentioned above have a HUGE variety of parts/forums/etc. So there will always be help around.
$14K for a 20 year old 240? I would pass. Stage 1 STi will be a great daily driver even with no mods for a while.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#9 Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
u realize that everybody on this forum is most likely going to direct you towards the sti. i personally dont think buying a 20 year old car is smart for a daily driver, maybe if you had another car. how about buying the hatch for dd and the sr20 for weekend fun?? 14k+6k<23k for sti or evo

if you don't like that idea, go with the sti. the power will feel like a nice upgrade and you might be able to swap out some of your parts.
#10 Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
IMO the STI is a better built car then any of the other ones your looking...... and why pay 14k for a 30 year old car thats illegal to drive. Like what mosc said. get a car you REALLY like and keep it for longer then a year. but thats just my 2 cents and its your money to play with
#11 Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Or is it hidden option number 6, a transmission swap? If this were money out of your pocket, and not a loan I would say do this and mod up to the 300 mark. I paid about $1100 in taxes when I got my $12000 WRX, so factor that in on a new car. (How bad are Cali car taxes?)

On the other hand, I know Cali emissions are terrible, so heavy modding of your WRX is unpractical, right? Won't that 240 or the Honda be hard to pass also? If you need to get rid of the WRX, (which I wouldn't simply to get another tuner since it's gonna cost you so much for licensing and tax and a higher payment than you have now, all money you could put into the car in your driveway,) then I say STi. Get the AWD platform made by the company who've been doing AWD since they started.

I also HATE hatchback civics, so my opinion is probably a little biased.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#12 Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Believe me, the 240SX is super clean. Here's the link...

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Super clean right? Looks amazing, SR20, Everything built right, the only problem I have with it is the rainbow hood =(. Hahaha

04paulie, that is what I want to do. Get a DD/beater car and a nice car. It would be perfect to get the STi as a weekend car and a hatch for a DD. Plans if I get a hatch is drive it and build up the motor and in a couple years get a STi/EVO.

Chase, CA taxes have gone up the roof! It's crazy registering a car these days. Our laws just got stricter as of today I think. If you have a out of state license plate you will get pulled over. CA made $1 million on fines from those tickets. =( Well modding any car in CA is probably illegal. Hahaha. Laws are strict and cops will bust you for ANYTHING. But I am pretty sure, I can mod the hatch the "legal" way =).

6-speed is out of the question since I do not want to put anymore money into my WRX. No point in putting money into this car when I don't like the style/color anymore. It's just time to upgrade...
#13 Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You get a car like that once. Then you realize that custom cars with non-factory engines are not daily drivers and never will be. Every 500 miles something will go wrong.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah I know so most likely the 240sx would be out.

Was anyone here a honda head before? PM, I need some help =)
#15 Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i made 286whp and 320 tq but it was the road dyno software, since i had a road tune and i wanted conservative tune

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty