Test drove my first STi today - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Test drove my first STi today

I've been wanting to drive an STi for a long time to campare, and I went today and drove this one:Cars for Sale: 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STI in Milwaukie, OR 97267: Sedan Details - 267251972 - AutoTrader.com

I was a little disappointed with the experience. I've never had my WRX dynoed, so I've always wondered what the power difference was between me and an STi, since my mods for the most part are just STi upgrades. Well, the difference was pretty noticeable, but opposite of what I thought. My WRX really snaps you back when the turbo hits, the STi was a lot more gradual, it seemed very mild in comparison.

They also told me I couldn't take it to my shop (RalliTEK) to have it inspected because "other shops tend to nitpick our cars apart" but told me I could take it to one in the area if it was approved. Hmmm... In any case Whatever I get will be up on the rack at RalliTEK before or after I get it. If I have to, I'll exercise my 3 day right of rescission.

Anyway, I offered 18.5 if they give me 7 for mine, they said 5 and 19.5, so no deal. If I sell my car private party I might go back for it. There's only one tiny blemish by the gas door and one ding in the front passenger. Other than that it's really clean.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Nice looking car. The butt dyno is not accurate for speed. A smooth torque curve is pretty much always faster, but it feels slower then a rush at the upper RPMs. Besides a stock STi is basically even with most modded WRXs, you just mod the STi to the same level to compare them.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#3 Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
That body kit detracts from the sexyness of a 04-05. That being said...i still love my hawk eye. True enough ratfink. Power spread around is more advantageous then it all being up high. Thats a lot of money for a lot of miles.
#4 Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I wasn't really serious about this one, I like the look of the kit but I think it defeats the purpose of a Subaru, I'd just tear it up going in my driveway and up to the mountain. I just let one go up in Seattle with navigation and only 49k for the same price. White ones are hard to find around here though, especially if you want a clean title.

-Brandon
#5 Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Don't know your budget limit, but I got my 08 for 26k with 14k miles. You may hate the new style though. I dunno.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#6 Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Watch for bank repos there have been alot of them lately. Picked mine up for 16,800 with only 30k miles and already has alot of moderate mods done to it. It helped that I knew the car or otherwise I wouldnt have bought it modded. But they are out there just check the banks websites around your area.
#7 Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. The banks post their own repo's huh?

-Brandon
#8 Old 09-14-2009, 01:37 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
That's the ugliest body kit I've ever seen.

The car's also got a BOV on it, not a good sign of an intelligent person behind the wheel.

If they won't even LET you take it to a tune shop under your own expense to have it looked at, walk away. Fast.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
It looks like a giant matchbox car.
#10 Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
take the body kit off, lower it and put a lip on it and ## set. body kits are no fun on wrx's or STI's for that matter.
#11 Old 09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
bodykits are about as cool as cancer..
#12 Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Right, like I said I wanted to drive something I wasn't super serious about so I could get the ball rolling, I don't want to buy the first one I see. He did have all the stock parts in the trunk, and I'm not real worried about a BOV since I'll swap it back to stock and make $100 on the deal. Anyway, I'll keep you posted if I need opinions on any more possibilities. Actually, here's a pretty sweet deal in the area right now. If I can unload mine first, I might go after this one:
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Sedan 4D

Just the BOV and fuel lines there. Low miles. I'll let you know if I look at it.

-Brandon
#13 Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. The banks post their own repo's huh?
For the most part they do. They try to unload them thereselves before paying someone else to get rid of them. My wife is a loan officer and found my car during her lunch break. Take a look in Seattle and Portland should be alot of them floating around. Only thing is you have to act quick because dealers surf these to and usually pay full price.
#14 Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I was a little disappointed with the experience. I've never had my WRX dynoed, so I've always wondered what the power difference was between me and an STi, since my mods for the most part are just STi upgrades. Well, the difference was pretty noticeable, but opposite of what I thought. My WRX really snaps you back when the turbo hits, the STi was a lot more gradual, it seemed very mild in comparison.
Was the STI tuned? It is hard to compare a fully tuned hybrid motor WRX to a basically stock STI.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#15 Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

True, it was untuned. Short ram, dp and a cat back without a tune. Clearly the guy didn't know what he was doing.

-Brandon