subie horror stories - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
After almost 6 years my battery died and my car wouldn't start. I jumped it and got a new battery for $80.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-11-2011, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Man my factory battery only lasted 2 years.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#18 Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Man my factory battery only lasted 2 years.
Thats about how long mine lasted. But I only had the car for 6 months before I deployed for 15 months. The car was started or drove like I wanted, but oh well. My current one has lasted 3 yrs tho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 11-12-2011, 05:13 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
None of mine are "Subie" horror stories as much as they are "owner" horror stories ! A couple of years back I was flat towing my race car (spec944) with my WRX to NASA's first weekend at High Plains Raceway. It was April and there was a huge blizzard all the way from NM up through Colo. In the last 10 miles to the track, the ruts in the snow pulled the Porsche into a slightly different trajectory than my tow Subie and I spun 180.

I figured that I was not going to make it and started heading back to the nearest town to wait it out, but spun again ! Now headed towards the track again, I decided to go for it. Got to the paddock, and the weather cleared. I loaned the WRX to a buddy to use for HPDE, and I used it with my students on the still wet track. When leaving at the end of the day, I heard a bit of a knock, which turned out to be a spun rod bearing. I had to drive the race car all the way back to NM (my poor arse !) and retrieved the wagon the next week.

The car was at 137K and I installed a fresh shortblock from Outfront, which is still purring nicely, almost 60K miles later in my "new" swapped wagon. (which has no hitch on it )

Cullen
#20 Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Klone is an unknown
i once saw a sti with chrome rims :eek: lol
#21 Old 11-13-2011, 03:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I have owned a BMW for the last 4 years. Top that.
Yeah been there. We used to have a bmw 2001 540I $50 something K out the door made it to 100k with no problems and all went down hill from there. The worst part is the fact that the car didnt even KBB at 9K last year when we sold it. My old truck a 02 chevy 1500 half the cost new and no maintance with another like 60k on it then the beemer sold it for an extra 2 grand lol. Beemers are no go EVER!
#22 Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I think BMW's are good if you can do the maintenance yourself.

My brother just bought an 02 330i with 100k on it. He had a stack of very expensive dealer maintenance receipts from the previous owner. Even with all that his BMW dealer hit him with a bill of $5300 to repair some typical 330 problems like oil and coolant leaks, bushings, water pumps, plugs, etc. That's more than half of what he paid.

He bought all the parts online for about $500 and did it all over the course of two days. The thing runs perfect and should easily go another 100k. It helps that I have a friend who is a BMW tech and could tell him what was necessary and what wasn't on his quote from the dealer.

I'm still sticking with a Subaru, can't beat their reliability if you keep it near stock.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#23 Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
I think BMW's are good if you can do the maintenance yourself.

My brother just bought an 02 330i with 100k on it. He had a stack of very expensive dealer maintenance receipts from the previous owner. Even with all that his BMW dealer hit him with a bill of $5300 to repair some typical 330 problems like oil and coolant leaks, bushings, water pumps, plugs, etc. That's more than half of what he paid.

He bought all the parts online for about $500 and did it all over the course of two days. The thing runs perfect and should easily go another 100k. It helps that I have a friend who is a BMW tech and could tell him what was necessary and what wasn't on his quote from the dealer.

I'm still sticking with a Subaru, can't beat their reliability if you keep it near stock.
Mine was a 2008 335xi and it was crap. Less than 60k on it and had well over $4000 in repair and maintenance in it and that was with me doing almost all the work. Other than the awd unit failing, we had to pay for most of it out of pocket because BMW of America sucks the elephant **** and refused to pay for the repairs stating that they were normal wear items. I repeat, I WILL NEVER OWN A BMW AGAIN!!! I hate those cars with a passion.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 11-13-2011, 05:05 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Tell us how you "really" feel about BMW, Keith

Cullen
#25 Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sorry I just get so fired up about that Big Money Waster.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...