Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Subaru spills all the beans on BRZ development with new documentary (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/subaru-spills-all-beans-brz-development-new-documentary-32412/)

newtothegame 04-25-2012 06:49 PM

Subaru spills all the beans on BRZ development with new documentary

Some interesting interviews and stuff on the BRZ.

[url=http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/25/subaru-spills-all-the-beans-on-brz-development-with-new-document/#continued]Subaru spills all the beans on BRZ development with new documentary[/url]

sleepr 04-26-2012 05:50 AM

Thank you!

man show 04-26-2012 09:54 AM

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

slomo 04-26-2012 02:38 PM

Looks awesome. I'd love to drive on around the ring.

newtothegame 04-26-2012 06:26 PM

I thought most would find it neat to read/see. Maybe even answer a few questions that were lurking around in ones head. Cant wait to start seeing these on the road.

turmic 04-26-2012 06:37 PM

Nice link....I still say make it turbo or at least let me buy something that looks like this.

[IMG]http://jonsibal.com/2012/BRZGT300td_1.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.tune86.com/ft-86-news/17656-subaru-brz-super-gt-300-takes-fuji-speedway]Subaru BRZ GT300 Takes on Fuji Speedway | Tune86 - Toyota 86 news (GT 86, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S)[/url]

wagonracer 04-26-2012 06:49 PM

Can't wait to get mine. Anybody else here put a deposit on one ?

turmic 04-26-2012 06:58 PM

No, I've been too lazy to see if my dealership ever had that demo car on the lot. I have a state inspection coming up on monday. So, maybe I'll poke around on the dealership with my free time while I wait. Plus, I couldn't afford a second car right now. I have a wedding coming up in a little over a year and still need to pay some stuff off. The fiance wouldn't let me get another car anyways...unless I had the money laying around.

Cullen which package did you get? I saw that the limited model is very nicely equipped on the website and you can even get a rear diffuser for the BRZ from the factory.

newtothegame 04-26-2012 07:01 PM

I almost did, but couldnt decide on color. And of course the dealership said I couldnt have one of each color. I said, thats fine, I dont need one anyways, lol. Unfortunately tho, I dont have that luxury to have a car like this with 2 kids (ages 2 and 4).

synolimit 04-26-2012 09:46 PM

i just cant, 25k for 1/3 the wrx platform...ill get the wife a hyundai genesis 2.0T 275hp. also loved my 99 civic si which might even be faster than this.

basco 04-26-2012 10:33 PM

I thought about one for like 10 seconds, but it's just not an upgrade over a WRX platform in my eyes

mosc 04-27-2012 02:03 PM

Doesn't have 4 doors, too impractical to actually consider buying one for me. I have a car seat in the back. You have any idea how hard it is to put a kid in a car seat in a coup?

I am hoping a lot of the BRZ tech goes into this new "independent platform" WRX/STi for 2013 though, which I think was hinted at in the BRZ videos above. I found myself scratching my head about how to get a turbo around the motor layout on the BRZ. It's so low and so far back that the hot side becomes a nightmare. You can put the turbo in front of the motor and run the exhaust manifold to it quite easily, but then how do you deal with the turbo hotside exhaust? Run it THROUGH the exhaust manifold you just rotated to face your turbo? I don't know how they'd swing that.

And I laughed when they said they flipped the intake manifold around. I was like, ABOUT TIME! Intake snorkels in my experience tend to gather more water than they take out. Never understood the need.

EDIT: I would have to consider a 2013 STi coup though if there was no 4-door option. If they made an awd, turbo BRZ and slapped an STi logo on the back... I don't know how I would pass that up. Probably have to get a third car though...

turmic 04-27-2012 04:39 PM

That'd be icing on the cake if they made it turbo and AWD. It'd be a longer wait list then there is for WRXs. They're already no longer taking direct from the factory orders for 2012 WRXs or so the dealerships are already saying that around here. No more direct orders from the factory...it'd have to off another dealerships invoice or off the other dealership's lot.

wagonracer 04-27-2012 05:36 PM

[quote=turmic;279400]

Cullen which package did you get? I saw that the limited model is very nicely equipped on the website and you can even get a rear diffuser for the BRZ from the factory.[/quote]

Premium 6MT.

This is such a completely different concept than the WRX that comparisons are pretty much NA. (not applicable, not naturally aspirated, which it is :)

I'm lucky enough to be single, with a kid (almost) old enough to drive, and can justify the pleasure of an impractical, underpowered, commute everyday and take it to the track on the weekend and embarrass more expensive machinery type of self-indulgent ride.

Fortunately, this car doesn't appeal to everybody. Unfortunately, from lurking on the BRZ/FRS forums, the car seems to appeal to many who don't understand the intention of the manufacture(s) I can't wait to get mine !Thumbs Up

turmic 04-27-2012 08:58 PM

If I had the intention of being a track rat. I'd be interested in a BRZ. I'm willing to bet the car in a twisty environment will eat up a lot of cars even some WRXs if its twisty enough. I just can't buy a RWD and expect to drive it much in typical winters in PA. Granted last winter was a joke. That is my only downside to the car. Otherwise its not a corvette power level sports car, but it is a sports car.

And for anyone to talk trash on its ability to be a good track car and not have driven one is just blowing smoke out of their arse. So many editors of car magazines have said yes...the BRZ is rather mundane on the street, but when you put it on a track...its at its best. Its why Cullen needs to let me take it for a test drive. ;)

Cullen: I am a tool and I'd really buy it as a limited. Did you see the factory rear diffuser option?