Stupid idea ... What do you think? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Stupid idea ... What do you think?

Ok so after i watched my brothers block blow into a million pieces and a few of my buddies blew as well, i think i may buy a salvaged wrx/sti. I keep looking on salvagedirect.com and finding these wrxs/stis for a grand or two. I know its totaled, etc but i was thinking to take the motor or turbine, build forged internal engine and upgrade the turbo. This way i can have a stock block and then ill have this built motor to just do whatever. I then seen i could part out parts like the seats, windows, window motors, fix the BBS wheels (many other misc parts as well)on Nasioac.. Just was wondering if anybody has done this before??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
There's money to be made for sure. Just remember though it's fairly labor intensive and sales/negotiations/customer service can be a royal pain. It's a job, not a get rich quick scheme. If you approach it that way you will probably be successful. You'd probably make more money per hour at a grocery store though...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
See i dont want to profit really anything from it. I want to get like a parts car and make some of the money back so i would end up paying say 500$ for a complete motor instead of a few grand. Cut the cost so i dont end up with a $10k motor build as i see now. Also, if its a 6 speed, do you suggest taking the tranny or just leave my 5 speed? I know im getting a little crazy now but having an extra motor thats built and bigger turbo, i wouldnt feel as bad blowing it up bcuz i have another waiting lol
#4 Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
of course the 6-speed is a nice upgrade. If you think you're going to find a total'd STi with a perfectly good engine and transmission though for anywhere near a reasonable price, you might be in for a surprise.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Take the six for sure. if you can let go if the other hot ticket items (BBS, brembos, interior, cluster, hids if rear hit,) etc you can snag your three to four grand back. But then all the small odds and ends will be tedious icing on the cake. mosc is right though, how many hours at a side job would it take to buy your block and save the space and headache?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#6 Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I think it's worth it for the right price ($3000-$4000)... But when my 07sti was totaled, the insurance wanted $6500 for it....

KThxbai

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
3 years ago a friend offered me a '99 RS w/ no engine or trans in it (though the stock ones were included) along with an EJ257 and 6-speed for $3k. I hate myself every day for not taking out a personal loan. My WRX would have Brembos and a 6-speed (instead of the time bomb I have now ) and I'd have an STI powered RS.
#8 Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Boooooo !Notfunny!

Where's the facepalm smiley ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Ok so to confirm looks like ill be having a totaled sti in my driveway lol. Only ken knows where i live so i hope i dont get robbed before i rip it apart. Ill keep everyone updated if i get it. Just as a regular car price gotta be right , not too severely damaged , etc. Also, for the ones that have helped me in the past, ill probably end up with extra parts so if you guys (u know who u are) need anything ill take care of yall and not make you buy it ( has to be reasonable and not like the suspension or Brembos lol)
#10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you or someone you know registered on there. You need to have a salvage yard license or a dealers license to buy/bid there.
If so, than that's a great idea IMHO. what the insurance company wants to buy it back is an estimated cost after bids and fees. I used to buy from there and copart all the time. Sometimes there's hella deals and other times somebody that needs that car will run you up! I bought my 96 Spyder gst on there for under a grand with just a bump in the front....Great deal!!!
If I still had my hook up for the site I would buy a parts car in a second for my bug.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#11 Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Are you or someone you know registered on there. You need to have a salvage yard license or a dealers license to buy/bid there.
If so, than that's a great idea IMHO. what the insurance company wants to buy it back is an estimated cost after bids and fees. I used to buy from there and copart all the time. Sometimes there's hella deals and other times somebody that needs that car will run you up! I bought my 96 Spyder gst on there for under a grand with just a bump in the front....Great deal!!!
If I still had my hook up for the site I would buy a parts car in a second for my bug.
Yes My friend buys these cars everyday, fixes and flips them...(he jus bought a limo he wants to keep for when we party and want to go out lol) I will be using his access to purchase car Shipping is typically $500 "ish". Ive had a grand am and impala offthis site. Its legit just gotta know whats actually salvageable. Could be an endless $$$$$ pit
#12 Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Pm me I actually need some interior pieces when you get it, we'll work out a price so we both win.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon