Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Street Racing Threads. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/street-racing-threads-8927/)

9d2TSi 09-10-2005 03:35 AM

Street Racing Threads.

Hey all. I realize that I'm a newb here as well as alot of the newer members of this site, but at least hear me out. These type of threads need to thin out some. I've done it before, so I can't harp on anyone, but this type of behavior isn't what Tuners sites wants to be associated with.

This is just some friendly advice from someone that knows what's going to happen if these get out of hand.

If you check out DSMTuners, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Ludachris 09-13-2005 02:05 PM

Stacy's right. We have a somewhat different stance on "kill stories". Over on our DSMtuners site, we've watched it get out of control and we felt that it wasn't what we wanted people coming to our forums for. We believe that the main reason our smog laws (those of us who have to deal with them) are getting to be ridiculous is because of street racing. Not to mention the obvious loss of life and injuries that can be attributed to street racing - and I'm referring to the innocent people who get caught up in the accidents, not the racers themselves. They knew what they were getting into. The kid walking to the store who gets run over by an out of control car is senseless.

All we ask is that you limit your stories here on our site (or refrain from posting them). We understand that street racing has been around forever and most people who love speed will do it. We just don't need it to be glorified by having people post cool stories about it. If you have a story about an AutoX day or a day at the Drag Strip, we encourage you to post about that instead. Keep the racing on the track as much as possible... please. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is. We don't need the government to step in with more laws that will kill our hobby due to illegal activities.

Nose Nuggets 09-13-2005 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Ludachris]Stacy's right. We have a somewhat different stance on "kill stories". Over on our DSMtuners site, we've watched it get out of control and we felt that it wasn't what we wanted people coming to our forums for. We believe that the main reason our smog laws (those of us who have to deal with them) are getting to be ridiculous is because of street racing. Not to mention the obvious loss of life and injuries that can be attributed to street racing - and I'm referring to the innocent people who get caught up in the accidents, not the racers themselves. They knew what they were getting into. The kid walking to the store who gets run over by an out of control car is senseless.

All we ask is that you limit your stories here on our site (or refrain from posting them). We understand that street racing has been around forever and most people who love speed will do it. We just don't need it to be glorified by having people post cool stories about it. If you have a story about an AutoX day or a day at the Drag Strip, we encourage you to post about that instead. Keep the racing on the track as much as possible... please. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is. We don't need the government to step in with more laws that will kill our hobby due to illegal activities.[/QUOTE]

that is a very respectible argument, ill do my best not to post street racing stories.

9d2TSi 09-15-2005 01:56 AM

I guess for me it's just more than that. I look into my newborns eyes every day and I'm just not too sure how I would handle it if I were to lose them (wife and son) in an accident where street racing was involved.

Nuggets, I will say that you're right, I'm not arguing that. Location really doesn't make a difference, it's just that when I see people flying by me on the interstate (or in the city) in and out of traffic, it bothers me.

Nose Nuggets 09-15-2005 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=9d2TSi]I guess for me it's just more than that. I look into my newborns eyes every day and I'm just not too sure how I would handle it if I were to lose them (wife and son) in an accident where street racing was involved.

Nuggets, I will say that you're right, I'm not arguing that. Location really doesn't make a difference, it's just that when I see people flying by me on the interstate (or in the city) in and out of traffic, it bothers me.[/QUOTE]

you cant let that kinda stuff effect you man, there is way to much in this world so completly out of your, i, or anyone else's relm of controll that you will eat yourself alive over it.

i know this sounds like a convenient place to voice your opinion about something you disagree on, and find dangerious, and im all up for opinions, but you have to relize that no matter what is said, people will street race. there are so many things you can protect your kids from, why worry about the ones you cant.

if there was a post here about how smoking is bad, do you think any smokers would stop?

Ludachris 09-26-2005 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets]if there was a post here about how smoking is bad, do you think any smokers would stop?[/QUOTE]
No, I don't think we'd be able to stop smokers from smoking. And I don't think we'll stop street racing from taking place. That's not necessarily the goal. I'm just taking the higher road here and asking people not to contribute to the problem by posting stories that glorify it. It's the right thing to do and by doing it, we might even help sustain our hobby and prevent even more laws from being created to fight street racing, making all of our lives even more miserable. Opening a dedicated forum for it or allowing it in our current forums would only draw people to read it, which means we'd be part of the problem. By disallowing it completely, we don't act like hypocrites. Don't you agree?

Am I way off base here?

Nose Nuggets 09-26-2005 05:16 PM

No absolutely not off base. I understand your position/s completely! The main reason I posted on this thread was to address the ludicrousy behind not listing street names and where it was going on. This YOUR sand box my friend, and we are all guests. If you want to drop the hammer and say no street racing stories at all, im 100% behind it. Im not here to read kill stories, or talk crap to people who post kill stories, im here for the wealth of information regarding my WRX. Granted, my name can be found in more then one or two kill threads, I happen to wonder by from time to time :)

As of right now my personal opinion on the matter is make a dedicated room for it. People who want to read that sorta stuff can help themselves, and the people who hate street racing to death just need to man up, and not go in that section. Weather we post about it, and discuss it, and cheer on our friends, or weep by there side when they loose, it will never ever, ever change the fact of the matter. My opinion, should matter little in how you choose to pursue the matter, because as I said, this is YOUR sandbox, you need to handle the matter as you see fit.

If it is any consolation, it would be nice to have a place to give some, dare I say, instruction, to those who have questions about “why did I loose against a stock celica?” or, “I took the turn really fast, but the car didn’t want to turn, why?” they can be answered, by a panel of people who would like to all give there .02. Its been my experience as a driver, and as someone who works in the field of instruction, that there are some really F’n crazy people driving on the street. If I or anyone here could help any amount of those people be safer/better drivers, then its better then not seeing it at all. Out of sight out of mind isn’t always the best course of action.

socal2fast4u 09-26-2005 05:21 PM

I agree that we should not be glorifying street racing but more enjoyong our cars performance. I have fools in Bmmr's and Mustang's and Audi's even bikes all over me wherever I go. I guess sometimes you just have to enjoy knowing that you don't have to go fast ### you can, and usually will hang or beat them. Our cars are bullzeye's on the street and every guy in his new ride wants to race us. I won't say I've never done it but I suppose if we can just enjoy the canyon roads early in the morning, and I know other guys do the same, we can talk about that stuff. I know we can all be safe and we all obviously know cars ### look what we're driving !Thumbs Up . My 2 cents.

Ludachris 09-29-2005 11:37 AM

I'd say if people need instruction on how to drive better and to find out why they lost to a Celica, then they can cruise on into the Track Talk forum and learn some techniques. As long as they don't allude to street racing, and it appears as though they'll be using this technique at the track, then everyone whould be happy.

Nose Nuggets 09-29-2005 01:06 PM

sounds good.

holy crap your in SJ?

do you ever come down to monterey? and do track days at seca?

9d2TSi 09-30-2005 01:27 AM

I think Chris lives in Colorado now.

Nose Nuggets 11-26-2005 11:36 AM

thats a shame.

Ludachris 11-27-2005 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets]sounds good.

holy crap your in SJ?

do you ever come down to monterey? and do track days at seca?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I forgot to update my profile. Moved out of SJ back in August. My friends and I used to do trackdays at Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, etc. Laguna was always a little expensive for me, but I've had the car on the track for some parade laps. We'd go down and watch the ALMS every year though. I'm planning on going out for next year's ALMS/World Challenge event for sure.

It's too bad we didn't meet up before I left.

I'm helping start up a NASA Pro Racing chapter out here in Colorado. Gotta support the local road racing crowd!

Jag_Warrior 11-27-2005 12:50 PM

The only race that I've penciled in so far is the Daytona Rolex 24 Hour race. But until my schedule went to hell, I'd make at least a couple of ALMS and Champ Car races every year - starting in '06 I'm going to get back to that.

Is anybody for putting up notices ("At The Track" sorta thing) several weeks prior to races we know we'll be attending? I'd like to meet up with some of you guys at the track if possible.

Ludachris 11-29-2005 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=Jag_Warrior]The only race that I've penciled in so far is the Daytona Rolex 24 Hour race. But until my schedule went to hell, I'd make at least a couple of ALMS and Champ Car races every year - starting in '06 I'm going to get back to that.

Is anybody for putting up notices ("At The Track" sorta thing) several weeks prior to races we know we'll be attending? I'd like to meet up with some of you guys at the track if possible.[/QUOTE]
I'd say post it in the Calendar - and then start a discussion about it in the regional forum. I would have loved to get together with some people here on the site that were going out to those events... too bad I'm too far away from all the good tracks now. The closest event for me will now be the new Miller Motorsports Racepark in Salt Lake. At least World Challenge will be hitting that track next year. I'll see about making it out there - 6 hour drive though :(