someday..daily beater; future hotrod? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
someday..daily beater; future hotrod?

bought a 1973 volkswagon beetle, this is the model that was built with macpherson struts/springs, no torsion. i figure ill drive it till ive gotten the gas mileage i need from it, then if its rust hasnt returned (bad places ) build up fun with minimal cash

yellow is the future project, i wanna build till i cant no more

you can see my volare's front!

60hp street screamer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
60HP does not seem like much, but it only takes 120 to pick up the front wheels

That is a super beetle, a few things you should know about it:

The struts are attached to the body, so watch that sheet metal... if the strut bracket is rusted, you cannot repair it and the car is basically toast. Also the super beetle weighs about 100 more pounds than a beetle. A super beetle has a better turning radius than a bug and most other cars as well. Also it still uses torsion bars in the back. If you plan on making a drag car, a super beetle is not gonna work for you because when you come back down, your struts are liable to shoot themselves through your gas tank. An Autocross Bug, however

I have had 5 Aircooled VWs, it is my other boxer obsession.

I am in the process of putting a side-draft turbo set-up in my 73 VW ghia gotta love a boost sensitive fuel pump and a carb that will mix it right no matter what... no engine management here

Here is the ghia, if you look in the background you can see my super beetle
post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
yeah i was thinking porshe underpinnings, but dont know what fits? its sweet that you got them! ghia's are cool !! so how well does the aircooled thing go with the turbo setups? they ever want to overheat that you know of?
post #4 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
VWs always want to overheat

there are just a few things you have to know about building a VW engine as far as heat and performance goes.

Compression ratio = Heat
Chrome = Heat
Incomplete Engine Tin = Heat

If you build a N/A engine, it can have a high compression ratio with no worries, but you have to keep the stock compression ratio if you plan to spray or force induction (over 4psi)

People put chrome engine dress-up kits including tins and the fan shroud... this is a big no-no... those pieces are flat black for a reason.

With a side draft turbo setup there is no need to use an intercooler, because even without one the main concern you have is the Intake Manifold FREEZING... The carb sucks air in and mixes it with the fuel, then forces the highly compressed gas mixture into the manifold... the only down side is that you are gonna be lucky to get more than 10-14psi... but my engine can't take 20psi anyway.

I know plenty of guys that run 5-8psi daily with their decklids on and not even offset pinned. The secret is a good ceramic coating and/or heat wraps. I plan on converting my fresh air intakes (the little nostrals on the front of the ghia) into cold air channels for the engine compartment, I should be able to run 10psi on the freeway/track and 5psi on the street.

What are your plans for the Super Beetle?
It will handle really well with some bigger (like PR185) tires. I never did anything but replace worn out components on the front of my super... In the back I put some super stiff adjustable spring overload shocks and lifted it slightly. This gives it a perfect amount of oversteer.

the only two things I would do to the suspension are:
Traction bar
and
3-way spring overload shocks

this will take you like 2 hours, cost you 90 bucks and make your bug a different car

if you want to throw in another $90, you can get a strut bar for the front... I hear they are noticable.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
well for now its to fix it up, i have to patch (basically replace...) the front suspension support,patch floor on drivers side, get a carburator,and fix clutch cable/ pedal spring. then if its good for a while, fix it right, and get around 110hp . then go into suspension after all that. first thing i wanna do is get my pontiac project goin (yellow in the background of garage), vw is for playing. i thank you highly for the tips, i will use them as i go! i never saw the need for chrome unless its strictly show, i think flat white would be alot cooler than the black.

hope all goes well with your ghia, sounds like it'll be a sweet ride, turbo boxer engine and all! whats it got stock btw?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
stock for both our cars is the same Aircooled 1600cc Boxer engine with a 34 pict 3 carb... 46 hp :eek:
They have independant rear suspension with almost no drivetrain loss in HP because the "drive shaft" (it is actually not a shaft) is about 2 inches long...

With a good head port and dual carbs, they can get to around 90hp
add a cam and better distributer they can get to around 120

For now mine is a bored 1776cc engine with a 45 webber carb and a head port... maybe 80 hp on a cold day with octane boosters.

Once I finish the turbo setup it should hit 120 hp with the stock cam and a 5000 redline
If the turbo works out for me I am buying a new 1.9L longblock and starting over with a crank and internals that are capable of 7000 redline !Laugh! should be able to get 200hp from that... which is enough to do a wheel stand halfway down the 1/4 mile track.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-10-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
you should see what some retard left out of my carburator, it wouldnt idle right so we opened it up. the main jet in the bowl was gone! and the little top ones' head was broken so we couldnt even get it out and swap the other carbs goods stuff (there was one in the car too..). i was wondering what would a single 2bbl weber and headers/muffler would do? ill probably port heads eventually, still dont know what mods/work is worth good power over stock.

so why was your motor 46hp and mine 60hp? probably doesnt matter since your modding it big time now :lol:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement