Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   The Hangout (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   So..... (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f56/so-32877/)

psinuse 08-11-2012 05:52 PM

So.....

I know this will turn a few heads and get the forum blowing up so here goes. I was over at a friends house doing the normal guy stuff, farting, drinking beer, making fun of each others cars, etc. The guy next door and his "partner" are having a dispute. This got us talking about what really matters in the up coming election and the "real" issues facing us.

Now I'm not going to bash anyone's beliefs, or outlooks, but I am about sick and tired of hearing about gays this and gays that or this sex and that sex or race blah blah blah. If we don't fix the economy what difference does it make if cats and dogs can get married if we can't find a job or are living paycheck to pay check because our economy tanks! Now I know that I don't fully understand everything, who does, but I'd like to get some input from you guys on what you feel is important to this years elections. Everyone has different views and that's fine and dandy and I think we should respect that if you post in here. We are all adults and WE are the ones that make a difference in this country... !Thumbs Up

Remember play nice....

BLAZE2099 08-12-2012 12:05 AM

I will explode if I get too into this , just like I would with religion (atheist here)
Those things you mentioned have zero to do with why our country is in the shitter (my belief)..(gays, race ,sex)
Hot topics should be the war, our debt and creating jobs for the citizens who want to work.

The last one I will touch on here only.

I do the hiring at my place of work. And I see way too many people come in to fill out an app, just so they can tell the UO that they tried. I may rant and rave on this subject....sorry.
Americans today are not what they once were. There are way too many lazy fu#king people around that really need to grow a set and hold down a job if applicable. I hire way too many people that turn around and quit in less than a month because I make them work for their check. I do not pay top dollar nor do I pay bottom dollar. We pay 13 an hr to start. I dont even ask for a ged or diploma. I just want people to move for their money.
I only made it through 8th grade. As soon as I became an adult. I grew up, put my big boy pants on, and worked my ass off till I made it where I am today (31 yrs old assistant plant mgr).
There was a movie in the 80's with Michael Keaton I believe that showed this off quite well. I used to work for a Large multi million dollar motor home company that produced garbage. You really wouldnt expect to pay 100k plus for a new motor home and have chew spit behind the paneling of your walls, would you? Well guess what, you would! Nobody cares in our society, Thats the problem.
Not so sure how a new president could change that. Honestly I dont think one could. What I do know is, is that we need to stand up, and act as we should. As a country,family, hard working class adults..Where has that gone? Why are we so f'n lazy?
I must say that my best new hires are between 25-45. The younger crowd seems to think being late or calling off is OK, and thinks I should pay them more to stand around. The older crowd thinks I owe them something because they have been job hopping for 50 years. Give me a break. You sweat for me, I respect you. You collect your check with as much ease as possible, dont let me meet your family so I can tell them you are our country's problem.

sorry about the rant, but I can go on and on!

PS. there are excellent younger and older folks out there.....just hard to find around my neck of the woods.

...................................CHEERS!!!

sleepr 08-12-2012 10:20 AM

I could fill pages with respect to this topic. However, for me it comes down to this:

the emphasis on, and the importance of, personal responsibility and choice...I do not believe a federal government should be "picking winners" through legislated subsidies. I do not respect a federal government that coerces its citizens into debt. I do not believe that the current length of time one can receive unemployment benefits lends itself to a economically productive society (as a whole), as Randy's observation demonstrates.

As a former legislative analyst for a top 3 insurance company, I am of the opinion that the federal regulatory bodies no longer adhere to their envisioned purpose and that allows fraud (on a massive scale) to continue, and in many cases under the (false) auspices of "saving the current economic system".

So many people focus solely on "lifestyle politics" (especially politicians) that the gravely serious issues (SS and Medicare solvency, usurping of state responsibilities by the federal government, [overly] aggressive foreign policy, and lobbying reform) do not receive the attention and discussion that are sorely needed. In my opinion, anyone under 40 especially should be scared to death about where this country is headed.

I am currently reading "The Road to Serfdom" by F.A. Hayek (written in the early '40s), and I am finding it fascinating for its relevance to the political and socioeconomic developments and systems of today. If philosophies of systems of governance and their history interest you, I highly recommend this book (US book publishers would refuse to print it in the years following WWII because of its perceived attack on the status quo, however, its popularity swept the nation throughout the '50s).

Don't get me wrong, I have faith in my fellow countrymen because there are many more people than ever who are choosing to educate themselves and not blindly believe the propaganda they are bombarded with on a daily basis. That being said, I look forward to the days when people prefer engaging in discussion about the way this country "does business" instead of another season of (insert any TV program here).

Note: this post is in no way meant to offend, and I am not claiming that "lifestyle politics" does not have importance (as it certainly is important for many US citizens).

psinuse 08-12-2012 12:29 PM

[quote=sleepr;284019]I could fill pages with respect to this topic. However, for me it comes down to this:

the emphasis on, and the importance of, personal responsibility and choice...I do not believe a federal government should be "picking winners" through legislated subsidies. I do not respect a federal government that coerces its citizens into debt. I do not believe that the current length of time one can receive unemployment benefits lends itself to a economically productive society (as a whole), as Randy's observation demonstrates.

As a former legislative analyst for a top 3 insurance company, I am of the opinion that the federal regulatory bodies no longer adhere to their envisioned purpose and that allows fraud (on a massive scale) to continue, and in many cases under the (false) auspices of "saving the current economic system".

[SIZE="4"][B][I][COLOR="Red"]So many people focus solely on "lifestyle politics" [/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE](especially politicians) that the gravely serious issues (SS and Medicare solvency, usurping of state responsibilities by the federal government, [overly] aggressive foreign policy, and lobbying reform) do not receive the attention and discussion that are sorely needed. In my opinion, anyone under 40 especially should be scared to death about where this country is headed.

I am currently reading "The Road to Serfdom" by F.A. Hayek (written in the early '40s), and I am finding it fascinating for its relevance to the political and socioeconomic developments and systems of today. If philosophies of systems of governance and their history interest you, I highly recommend this book (US book publishers would refuse to print it in the years following WWII because of its perceived attack on the status quo, however, its popularity swept the nation throughout the '50s).

Don't get me wrong, I have faith in my fellow countrymen because there are many more people than ever who are choosing to educate themselves and not blindly believe the propaganda they are bombarded with on a daily basis. That being said, I look forward to the days when people prefer engaging in discussion about the way this country "does business" instead of another season of (insert any TV program here).

Note: this post is in no way meant to offend, and I am not claiming that "lifestyle politics" does not have importance (as it certainly is important for many US citizens).[/quote]

That's the phrase I was looking for!Thumbs Up. It's all about me me me me in this day and age and people really need to look at the bigger picture if they could see around their own ego...
I should add I took a poll and I only had strong feelings towards only 15% of the current issues that are being pushed by the current "big name" people running for offices. I actually told me I would be better off voting for myself....LOL Now that would piss a number of people off...

AllExtinct 08-12-2012 07:17 PM

I personally think no one can fix the situation this country is in.
They all promise to make things better but in the end things are always worse, then the next guy comes in the picture sells some BS and awes the people with false hope and the same routine follows him right into office.

The way of life has gotten so much worse from the time I was old enough to remember.
People didn't lock their doors at night, they do now due to crime
Crime and drugs go hand in hand, when has anyone talked about the real war, the war on drugs?

Overspending on ridiculous things that have no purpose. I seen a special on how the government was making coins that where not even used in our currency. They had warehouses filled with millions of these coins they served no purpose at all. And the cost to make,house and transport these coins was astronomical!
Im sure everyone has heard of some of the overspending that happens, but yet we are in Debt? So we the people have to suffer and pay back this debt that we have no part in?

Medicare.... enough said.

I believe that we should fix our own problems before we go across the sea and try to fix other countries. I support the Troops but I do not support SOME reason's to why we do the things we do.
I love America but I don't care to much for the people that run it.

Sorry if I offend anyone.
Just my 2 cents on the subject.

newtothegame 08-13-2012 12:25 AM

[quote=psinuse;284025]That's the phrase I was looking for!Thumbs Up.[COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][SIZE="4"] It's all about me me me me in this day and age and people really need to look at the bigger picture if they could see around their own ego...[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
I should add I took a poll and I only had strong feelings towards only 15% of the current issues that are being pushed by the current "big name" people running for offices. I actually told me I would be better off voting for myself....LOL Now that would piss a number of people off...[/quote]

The "Nation of Now" is what we should be calling ourselves. Thats pretty much how I feel. I remember growing up and always planning and doing things for the future. Now I dont know if that was part of growing up on a farm or what.

I will closely read and follow this post, but I feel that the job Im in (military for those that dont know), really hinders me, and holds my tongue when it comes to topics like this. In two weeks I have given 11 years of service to this country, joining only weeks before the event in NY. For some reason I stayed in hoping that change was coming, and I was doing my part. But even the armed forces (at least the Army) is changing, and I dont see it going in the right direction, so after this contract I will be moving on to further myself and my family.

Im not trying to come of higher than anyone or anything. I would love to voice my opinion or thoughts on things, but will honestly admit the slight paranoia I feel when speaking my piece of topics like this.

mosc 08-13-2012 11:18 AM

[COLOR="Red"]This type of conversation is generally not permitted here. First, it has nothing to do with WRX's and WRX ownership. Second, people tend to argue with each other and get upset. Arguments tend to spill out of the thread and fill the technical forums with bickering. I see no scenario where if this thread is left open long enough where somebody won't get upset. We'll give it a try I guess but don't be surprised when this thread gets locked.[/COLOR]

I think people lose perspective on the issues of our time. Debt has existed for longer than any of us have been alive. Partisan bickering is the foundation of democracy. Economic cycles of boom and bust are as old as economies themselves. Things are not horribly broken. Our currency is not inflating, unemployment is nowhere near what it was in the great depression, the national debt as a percentage of GDP is similar to what it was after WWII, the Mississippi river still flows south, the sun still rises in the morning, etc. Issues are important and these concerns are valid but I wish people would stay calm, learn from history, and compromise with each other.

G a y (it's apparently a blocked word on here) rights issues are very important to me. I think their place in the national debate is too small. A generation or two from now, we will be ashamed at the current state of things on that front just as we are now over how long the civil rights movement took to change the country. Bigotry against a human being for something they cannot change is fundamental evil, in all forms.

Economic busts are usually triggered by changes in economic realities. I think this one is no different. The economy is still the most robust on the globe, one of the most robust in the history of human society. We continue to move away from manufacturing and goods based into a knowledge based economy. The skillset is changing and that means unemployment for many who lack the "new economy" skills. There are sectors of the economy that need people.

Healthcare is a basic human right. Capitalism is not survival of the fittest. The first chapter of Capitalism 101 contains many fundamental rules which we tend to gloss over in American culture like "low barriers to entry" and "fair and open markets". In other words, if you don't succeed or fail based on your idea and execution alone, it ain't capitalism. If worrying about your health prevents you from innovating, that's not capitalism. We must have a minimum level of health and security in our lives in order to ensure the level playing field required for true Capitalism and the American dream. A person going bankrupt because they got cancer is un-American.

pzr2874 08-13-2012 11:39 AM

I has something to do with WRX/Fozzy's in general considering my wife drives a Lezbaru ( ROFL).

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm with Mosc on the healthcare thing as that is what I do for a living. As far as everything else, I've grown tired and wore out from worrying about it all.

Carry on

AllExtinct 08-13-2012 04:54 PM

[quote=newtothegame;284054]
In two weeks I have given 11 years of service to this country..[/quote]

Thanks for risking your a$$ for us. :rocks:
Sry if I offended you in my rant man.

BLAZE2099 08-13-2012 06:46 PM

^ I'll second that!
And as long as we act like adults in this thread and keep it here. I think we can manage this well enough without getting too butthurt towards one another.

psinuse 08-13-2012 08:49 PM

mosc if you feel it necessary to close this thread I completely understand.

mosc 08-14-2012 02:25 PM

Heh, I'd bet you it's a comment someone takes offense to that I make that gets this thread locked. How's that for hypocrisy? We'll give it a shot. I trust the regulars on here to be civil but I'm sure we'll get some outside interest sooner or later.

AllExtinct 08-14-2012 05:44 PM

Well I won't get offended about anyone's views on thing's if anything I'll find it as a good conversation.
If everyone had the same views on things this world would be a very dull place.

psinuse 08-14-2012 09:54 PM

^True. We all realize that everyone has a different opinion on things, but some of us have equal views. I can't see this economy being even remotely close to what I would say is robust, but then again I don't work a 6 figure a year salary either. I might see thing differently if that were the case.

man show 08-14-2012 11:35 PM

mosc for president!