Should I buy back my first car? Help me decide. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-10-2009, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Should I buy back my first car? Help me decide.

So back when I was 16 my dad was nice enough to buy me a new 5.0 Mustang. I dumped all my extra money into it for 9 years, then I sold it for a huge loss about 7 years ago when I moved to Chicago. All the snow caused me to get into Subaru's.

Well, the other day I got the itch to track it down, and I found it in Ohio. It's only had about 10k miles more put on it since I sold it. The new owner added a 67mm turbo to my built motor, and a new trans, rear end, and supporting fuel mods. It made 530 rwhp two months ago.

So, should I buy it back? He suggested that it would take 15k to pry it from his hands. I sold it for 12 and he's added about 15k worth of mods.

Some of the mods are questionable. I'm not a fan of the billet accents and the taillights.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
ummm,.........YES. I love 5.0 mustangs...but come on...a 5.0 turbo mustang...I think i just got a boner.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#3 Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I agree. The new owner is a Ford tech. also, so it seems like it's been done right. I know the short block was good, b/c I had that built to support a power adder, I just got married instead of finishing it. :-(

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#4 Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
well if you can get the wifes blessing to buy it back...by all means, go for it.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#5 Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
mmm where are the clamps for the boost tube coming out of the fender?? haha is it still a 302 or did you do a 347 stroker? What turbo did he go with? I am in the same boat im thinking about buying back one of my WRX's that i sold to a guy back in Iowa haha
#6 Old 11-10-2009, 05:09 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im a mustang fan, just not that body style. Not saying I woulndnt drive it. That would solve the summer/winter car debate though. Have you a toy/summer driver to save some wear and tear on the subie. And then just park the monster in the garage when the snow is on the ground. If you decide to get it, good luck with it (it does seem like a fair price also).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
mmm where are the clamps for the boost tube coming out of the fender?? haha is it still a 302 or did you do a 347 stroker? What turbo did he go with? I am in the same boat im thinking about buying back one of my WRX's that i sold to a guy back in Iowa haha
It's a DSS 306 short block that I had built at 9:1 compression. The turbo is a 66mm HP performance turbo kit that's capable of well over 700. It's only running 6lbs to hit 530 whp.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#8 Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Whats the driveability for something that size? Seems like he was building it pretty much for straight line racing, even though its kept street legal. Im not sure, Im out of touch with the Ford world since I got my subie a few years ago. Regardless it is a clean, seems like a well built car. You know the history, and have the knowledge, if it were me, I would try and get it back.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 11-10-2009, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
I'm from Ohio and I know it snows...maybe you can organize a trade? Trade and some cash? Who knows
#10 Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

It's pretty much built for drag racing now. I had it set up with 18's for more of a pro-touring look. But those wheels are long gone.

I woud probably only drive it once a week during the summer like I used to. I would have to keep the Suby. It only got 9MPG's when I sold it. The injectors are twice as big now, so maybe it does 5MPG? !Laugh!

The tune is very safe and streetable (provided it doesn't rain). It could probably be cranked up to 700 or 800 HP on race gas.

I'm going to talk with him this weekend to ask more about how the car is set up. I have a lot of questions about the EM set-up and other things he's done.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#11 Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Well you could always "de-tune" the setup, or switch out a few parts. I know its double work, but your first ride, well its your first. I have been contemplating looking for another 73 VW Bug, but I know its yet another money pit that I would dump an endless amount of money into. Not just for speed, but I have a laundry list of cosmetics I wanted to do to my first. Be sure to keep us updated, and good luck with it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Ohio huh? woot woot! lol what part of Ohio? And yeah it looks like the other owner took good care of it...if you need another car or another toy then hellz yeah!
#13 Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think you have to ask yourself two questions:

1. Are you emotionally attached to the car?

2. Can you afford it?

If yes to both, buy it back. If no to one or both, let it go.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#14 Old 11-11-2009, 01:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I think you have to ask yourself two questions:

1. Are you emotionally attached to the car?

2. Can you afford it?

If yes to both, buy it back. If no to one or both, let it go.
1. Yes

2. Can any real working person afford to have that kind of money tied up in something that sits in the garage? Yes, I could buy it, but it's probably not the smartest thing I've ever done with my money. The same could be said about spending all the money on my WRX.

I have a list of about a thousand questions I'm going to ask him this weekend. If it all checks out I will probably buy it. I think it would be cool to go to cruise nights and stuff with my new twin boys when they get a little older. I had a lot of fun with my dad working on the car when I was in high school.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#15 Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
DSS is a great company my friend bought a pro mod short block from them for his mustang and put a D1 procharger on it and it runs very good!!