Scan Tool Opinions - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
After doing some more research last night I found the following...

Located in US, its compatible with iPhone, and able to read a 2013 vehicle. He says if there's any problems he'll take it back no problems less shipping of course. It's $20.37 and works with the "OBD Fusion" in the App Store. There are a few other apps like Fuzzycar, Dynolicious, Rev, and Dash Command that this unit is suppose to work with also. After reading reviews though OBD Fusion seems to have by far the best rep and with a pricetag of only $9.99 where others get up to $29.99!

So I'm gonna try this product out and I hope this helps someone in the future. Whether you're just looking for a cheap scanner in general or trying to get by till an AP purchase, I think either option we've talked about will get the job done. I'll check back in after getting things set up with an update/review. It'll be a couple weeks before I order it though...
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1382183829.948926.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  52.3 KB
http://bit.ly/1d3X9hK

I'm going with this option over a traditional scanner due to its ability to do more features between the app/scanner than anything that's less of an AP. A traditional scanner will only read/clear codes, where with the dongle/wifi setup there's MANY more features and things to monitor. Thanks for the heads up brfatal!

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Give it a try then Brandon. If he will take it back with no problems, it can't hurt to try.
the RIOT act likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#18 Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
My brothers dongle is blue-tooth to a tablet not Wi-Fi to a phone. Will this make a difference with the apps recommended?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#19 Old 10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I wouldn't imagine so Fidrat. Should be the same apps that are compatible.

If it's a different brand then yes I'd imagine all the apps above might not work. You know which one he has?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#20 Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
I wouldn't imagine so Fidrat. Should be the same apps that are compatible.

If it's a different brand then yes I'd imagine all the apps above might not work. You know which one he has?

The dongle or the app?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#21 Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The wifi dongle. What's the brand/model?

#22 Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

It doesn't really have a brand name on it. It says on the back,"part# 1008,Controller: ELM327,Firmware Revision:1.5, Band rate: 38400. RoHs Compliant." On the front it says,"OBD Diagnostic interface." and it has a blue-tooth symbol and lights just like the one pictured. My bro will be here in a while. I can ask him more.

#23 Old 10-19-2013, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The 2 apps I have experience with are Torque and Dash Command. Both do exactly the same stuff and offer the exact same gauges, however Dash Command is much more professionally done and the layout is night and day better. On Google Play (Android) Torque is $4.99 and Dash Command is $9.99. Dash Command looks to be the same price in the iTunes store. Torque is Android only.

Torque Pro:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

Dash Command:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hCommand&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...321293183?mt=8
#24 Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

My other question is... Is the app or method the dealer mech uses any better or different than the apps we are talking about when looking for codes and whatnot? I think my bro uses Torque.

#25 Old 10-19-2013, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The dealer tools are much more extensive. This can't read things like Subaru specific DTC codes or other Subaru specific log parameters. This is more in line with a small generic hand held home scanner that also has most of the viewing options and novelties that the Accessport has. The AP can view the Subaru codes and parameters though.
the RIOT act likes this.
#26 Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Garage
An AP is the way to go Fidrat. The 2 options I've posted are for someone that's looking for the cheapest thing possible that'll get you by until you get one lol! Like brfatal mentioned, the scanners that shops/dealers have and an AP are WAY more extensive.

And the info you posted about your bros scanner looks about identical to mine, so I'd say any of the apps brfatal or I have mentioned should work.