Rent a bay - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Rent a bay

Hey guys, so I am am considering a career change as I hate working in tech support for a cell phone company. For now it supports my car and family so I have to suck it up. That being said, I am looking to open a self serve garage in my area and I'm conducting a feasibility study for it. Would any of you be interested in renting a lift/ tools to work ok your car?
Thanks for your input!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2013, 11:12 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You should make it byob and turn it into a sports bar type scene with bays in the middle. Make it more of an entertainment venue. You'll sell more in drinks and munchies than the lift fees and tool rentals. That's my thought.

I'd also be concerned about safety issues. People putting their cars on lifts don't always know how to put their cars on lifts... and then they immediately get under them.

I've thought about going to a place like this to change my oil and whatnot but every time I price it out, it's cheaper to pay someone who already has a lift to change my oil since the lift rental is a real significant chunk of that oil change price. Seems like these places cater to bigger jobs but bigger jobs sit in the air for days often enough. Don't know about it as a business model on it's own.

But I think as a car culture kind of place to hang out and work on your cars with other car enthusiasts, there's a niche there.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Not a bad idea at all Mosc...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#4 Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

DaveC03wrx is an unknown
That would be pretty sick. Id rent a lift right now. It's hard to get my wrx up on ramps and i need to change some pipes haha.

#5 Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Mosc, that would be cool, to make it a "car bar" atmosphere. The liability would probably be killer though, I can only imagine the dumb people that would get a little toasted and then want to put their car on a lift.
The price point is what I'm having issues with now, $25 for a standard oil change is hard to compete with, even of I had an oil change $10 for 15-30 min option. You would have to bring your own fluids.
I would do this in a heartbeat if I can get the financing and an appropriate price point. It would be so much better than my current job.

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
#6 Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You should make it byob and turn it into a sports bar type scene with bays in the middle. Make it more of an entertainment venue. You'll sell more in drinks and munchies than the lift fees and tool rentals. That's my thought.

I'd also be concerned about safety issues. People putting their cars on lifts don't always know how to put their cars on lifts... and then they immediately get under them.

I've thought about going to a place like this to change my oil and whatnot but every time I price it out, it's cheaper to pay someone who already has a lift to change my oil since the lift rental is a real significant chunk of that oil change price. Seems like these places cater to bigger jobs but bigger jobs sit in the air for days often enough. Don't know about it as a business model on it's own.

But I think as a car culture kind of place to hang out and work on your cars with other car enthusiasts, there's a niche there.

Not a bad idea and it varies by state.... I once tried to pursue this until I was told the insurance for it would be astronomical.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 04-23-2013, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Pzr2874, the insurance would be high, although I would have everyone sign a release waiver stating I would not be liable for any injuries/damage to vehicles for incorrect installation. Sounds harsh but I think it would be the only way to do it, with today's society of suing everyone lol. (I am at fault for this as well, I tired to sue the gas company That sold me a bad tank of gas and almost killed my wrx, so I get it)

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
#8 Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Add in, if they break any equipment and/or tools.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yea, that'll be in bold at the top of the page lol.

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
#10 Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
If you guys were closer I'd let you use my bays whenever needed. Saturdays at my shop usually consist of things that have been mentioned after closing at noon. I'd love to have my own shop though...some day!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#11 Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

I do know one thing, having a shop/working on cars for a living takes ALL the fun out of wrenchin/working on your own car.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ this exactly
Been there and done that, alcohol and lifts might not work for all though. That's where the safety concerns me

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#13 Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I have experienced this type of thing. I was in the Army in 1984 to 1988 at FT. Benning on Kelly Hill. Just down from the main parking lot was an Automotive self help shop. It was Awesome!!! They had tool rental, lifts, tire machines, reference library,a few oscilloscopes 3 paint booths. Even some mechanics on hand."experts" I do think you had to sign a waiver. And if you got stuck or in over your head the "experts"(for a fee of course)would bail you out. I practically built a car from the ground up there. One of the only fond memories I have from the Army.

Ive always wondered if this could be done off post in real life. I'd like to see someone pull off this kind of thing.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#14 Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Fidrat, that's where I got the idea my brother was in the navy and when I went to see him on base we lifted his jeep there. I feel like if I do it right, u can have fun and make a bundle too lol

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
#15 Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ this guy... NAVY

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3