Recommendations - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
Recommendations

I am realizing I am becoming more OCD as I get older. For instance it bothers me that I am contemplating buying to different companies to complete my exhaust, Cobb catted DP (catted because of e-check) and the Grimmspeed UP. I am going to have to have multiple companies already because my CB is SPT. Is there added benefit to keeping with one company, besides fitment issues? For example if I were to go with Perrin's DP and UP would that be better than my mix? Or going with the Helix DP and UP be better? Or is mixing and matching okay if not better, due to different quality of companies products? Is this an issue that I don't really need to worry about and working on getting over because I am going to have different companies under my hood eventually anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If they are quality parts from quality companies, you should have to worry about fitment.

I run a COBB DP, and it fit perfectly with my Borla exhaust. I used an STI up-pipe, so no fitment issues there since it's a factory piece. Any up-pipe from an 06-07 WRX or STI will work.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
All of the companies you've listed above try to make sure their parts fit with STOCK connections. As such, if made correctly, they should all bolt up just as well as the stock parts did. Realistically, most of the manufacturing is outsourced anyway and tends to be done in batches. Basically, the brand name doesn't matter much, just the quality of the part. Some brands have higher quality standards than others but mixing and matching brands should not be looked down on.

Also, a lot of the parts you're talking about don't even interact with each other. They connect to stock parts. The stock connections in between make discussing brand unity rather moot IMHO. Are cobb springs better for a car with a cobb intake rather than an SPT intake? God I hope not or else something is seriously wrong.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I don't think he's looking purely at fitment though.. He's also looking at parts that are related ie if you use brand x uppipe with brand y dp and brand z cat back are you risking performance. It's possible, but I would guess the difference would be so minuscule it doesn't even matter.

When you talk parts that aren't really related ie intake to suspension then obviously they don't affect each other.

-Chris
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
Thanks guys for your input. RcrsWetDream thanks for being able to translate what I clearly wasn't able to write out. My mind is made up on the Cobb DP and I really like Grimmspeed as a company and I always like to support good people. I guess I will just have to get over having multiple companies together as one, since the performance differences would be small. I just wasn't sure if things would work smoother because the parts are from the same company.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I can tell you that Cobb's catted downpipe for 02-07 WRX/STis fits nicely with HKS' Hi-Power Carbon Ti cat back.

I was actually worried about keeping all of my aftermarket parts from the same company, but after I started modifying things and realizing that all the parts I want aren't made by the same vendor, it didn't really matter too much any more. As long as the parts come from reputable vendors, I don't worry too much about fitment, although I do still like to read about them and ask questions before buying most things. I wouldn't be all that surprised to find out that Cobb's or Perrin's (random examples) shop cars have some parts from other companies besides theirs installed.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Look, they make them to bolt up to stock. If one doesn't fit the other or work as well or better than it would with stock parts around it, than it's defective. That's true if they're from different companies or the same company.

If you're building a race motor, I wouldn't recommend getting parts from few dozen different venders. But cmon! We're talking about exhaust. It's a steel pipe.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli_B View Post
My mind is made up on the Cobb DP and I really like Grimmspeed as a company and I always like to support good people.
A man after my heart. I'm going with the COBB dp and if I do my headers I'll probably just get some stockers PnP'd by Grimmspeed. I guess they aren't really supporting the 08+ WRX's in terms of headers though because they have a thinner cast than earlier models so they can't port them as well. I believe you just have to eat the core fee and use 07 or earlier headers. Maybe that was Crucial that did that though... I don't remember now.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement