... Rats!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2004, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
... Rats!!!

i just found out today that i am going to be getting a big bonus check this quarter... and i sure want to take the money and buy the PRAXIS suspension kit, but i know my wife is gonna freak if i do that...

I already promised her that any more bonus i got i would use to payoff my credit cards (run up on one thing of course--- other WRX goodies )

I found out a few months ago that the bonus was gonna be cut way back, and that's when i just told her (to make her stop nagging) that i would just take whatever little bit of money i got to go towards the credit cards... but now i find out its changed, and i am indeed getting a pretty decent check... RATS!!!

what do i do? She'll flip if that suspension kit shows up at the front door.... damn it.

i might actually have to wait awhile, i'm ticked (but at least happy i'm getting the $$ after all)... i need a suspension upgrade!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2004, 05:04 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Buy the suspension and tell her it is a gift from the Credit card company for paying off the bills lol
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2004, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Better suggestion - spend it on something GOOD. Anything but the Praxis.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2004, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
why not praxis

what makes you thing the praxis is not good.

I just want something that is easily ride height adjustable and provides some handling improvement over the stock setup.

You won't find me at the track or the AutoX, so true absolute neutral performance is not a must. I want the look of a lowered ride, but already have some troubles with driveways and whatnot around town at the stock ride height, so any lower and i'm surely in trouble with my ground effects.

Have you heard of any true functional issues with the praxis? Other than its real expensive and probably not a big seller....
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2004, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
First of all, air doesn't provide the same ride quality as a properly damped shock and spring. Second, raising and lowering your car requires adjusting the camber, toe in, and alignment, no matter how much you change the height. That is, unless you like buying tires frequently. Third, the air bladders cannot be tuned to be progressive like a good set of coil overs, so they will have the same spring rate throughout their entire travel. Fourth, if air bags were the way to go, don't you think there would be more than one company making them? And, fifth, read this month's issue of Sport Compact Car and the article they have about the STi with that suspension. Many problems and complaints.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2004, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Cos

I've already this months issue and i've read several others that go in both direcitons...

some promote it and have had no probs with it, others have had troubles... Keep in mind that SCC did several no-no's on there installation that caused them the issues... like camber plates, 43mm offset wheels, etc...........

.98 g's sounds pretty darn ok to me... and the Praxis has its own alignment settings designed to wear normally on your tires in both touring and sport modes... track mode obviously is going to wear on your tires no matter what setup your using to get that kind of aggressive camber, but it does deliver performance... And my understanding of the bags was that the rates did change as the car was lowering (stiffened) due to the smaller pocket (volume) of air inside the bags (did you read the article???), or have you read any others... dampening and how it works with the airbags is well addressed... and said to be handled by the airsprings more effecively than a progressive style shock....

I simply disagree with you here... IMO the SCC article said this much: follow the installation and usage instructions closely, and you should run into no major issues. Don't follow the instructions like us, and you'll probably have the same problems we did. My biggest issue at this point is that my wheels are 45mm offset (i think) which could cause issues when i have to let all the air out of the bags during installation... i'm going to have to look further into that to see if that completely holds up installation or is just a small 'bump in the road' SCC did not address it with much detail...

Well, maybe i'll be the guiny pig from this website... And if i am i'll report on my nightmares and or fantasy's coming true, as they play out...

One thing is for sure... If i get coilovers and lower my car as much as 1 inch... my ground effects will be looking ghetto in less than 1 week... Ohio simply does not accomodate those low clearances (parking lots/driveways, etc) like some other states do... chalk it up to bad weather, road salt, heavy trucks and snow plowing... And of course the freezing and melting of thing called water... damn that water. It splits cracks in the road wide open.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Founder

Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hey, I don't mind hearing a firsthand experience about something that isn't widely used. Let us know how it goes (that is, if you're able to get them with this bonus check)

-Chris
WRXtuners.com Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement