Rally America and Global RallyCross news.. - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
So, I'm slacking again and so is GRC's website. The last round of Global RallyCross happened on Saturday and aired Sunday 1 AM on ESPN 2. Not a whole lot happened good for Subaru. And I'll spoil it for you guys. Marcus Gronholm won at Texas Motorspeedway. There was a lot of attrition due to the 60 ft mechanical jump that was set up at Texas Motorspeedway. I'm going to search Subaru's youtube page and see if they uploaded anything on it.

Edit: I found this...a small clip from the race.

Check out this link to view some photos from the event. http://www.subaru.com/enthusiasts/rally/index.html

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thought I'd plop this right here.

Has this world gone soft?

Years ago, people would get mowed down by the dozens and they would continue....

Anywho... I can't even imagine what the inside of the car looked like.

Crash at Italy's Targa Florio rally kills Welshman - Motor News | FOX Sports on MSN

As you were...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#48 Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
I saw that on FB yesterday. That team was in the WRC academy last year and he won that championship. He is currently in the SWRC this year and this ICR event pretty much screwed everything up. His co-driver was 24 yrs old and I think that is what makes people stop pay attention. Its not old veterans of the sport...is young up and comers.

World Rally Championship - Drivers & Teams - Craig Breen

Kirt
#49 Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Too many videos to link from the STPR Rally America youtube account. They finally uploaded the rest. Click here to enjoy: 2012 Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally - YouTube

Kirt
#50 Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

So, the XGames is a part of the Global RallyCross schedule. If anyone is interested in the schedule of events for the Rally Cross this weekend.

Then the rally events are all on sunday.

Heat 1 is on 3:00 pm EST on ESPN 2
Heat 2 is on 5:30 EST on ESPN
The final Heat will be 6:15 pm still on ESPN.
(If its like last year...it will probably run over the alloted time frame of 7 pm for the final Heat. Just your DVR disclosure. )

Summer X Games Los Angeles 2012 Tune-in Schedule - ESPN - ESPN

Kirt
#51 Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

So, a lot happened at X Games. I will lead in with the bad crash at practice.

Then marcus Gronholm crashed during the qualifying laps. (only video of decent quality on youtube that I could find)

Travis Pastrana's day way was done when he was ran into

So, a lot of wrecks...but here is the final heat.

Ken Block wrecked his way into a 2nd Place finish...if you missed the action. He wrecked into Dave Mirra in the qualifying heat, wrecked into tanner foust damaging Tanner's rear wheel on the first attempt of the final heat (which had a red flag restart), wrecked into Loeb on the first red flag restart for Deegan jumping the start, and wrecked into Hubinette on the video above. I can't say I admire his driving one bit...he was bully behind the wheel.

Kirt
#52 Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
That course was ridiculous for 2 cars let alone 10. It was so narrow it should have been a time trial event. I mean, the entire race was a mad dash for the 2 car widths of room into that corner followed by several laps of "this course is so damn narrow I can drive horribly and as long as I'm sideways through most of it you won't be able to pass anywhere no matter how fast your car is". I know they want to turn rally cars into dirt bikes, throw 20 of em at the starting line, and have em go over all manor of bumps, terrain, jumps, and whatnot but ffs. The cars are going too fast and are too fragile for competitive racing on a course like that. The entire "x-sport" with rally cars is shit wrapped in stupidity with a bow of what the f### were you thinking on top. They want to get their names out there for selling racing shoes and energy drinks, I get it. But f### man, just bring demolition derby cars next time.

I have no idea how to make 10 rally cars do anything on any course at the same time competitive without turning it into a standard asphalt circuit race. Ken block wasn't a bully, he had a bulldozer in a sandbox. I want rallying to be hip and popular and whatever as much as the next guy, but that wasn't a sport it was a ratings/publicity grab.

I remember on the race right before the final (the last ditch qualifier or whatever), the lead car went completely sideways and almost came to a complete stop. The car behind him simply had to wait for him to correct and continue through the race. If he had stalled in that position, there wouldn't even have been enough room to drive around him. There was no passing chances. No skill chances beyond a quick start and surviving turn number 1. You wonder why there were so many false starts? The entire race was a drag for 500 feet to give you enough room to nose your way into position for turn 1, of course you have to be on the aggressive side of reasonable on the throttle off the line. Do you need any more proof than a guy holding second wire to wire ON THREE TIRES!?!?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#53 Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

jhmason is more helpful than not
Honestly, I agree it was a awful course, but let's be real. Loeb would have beatin' any and everybody on any type of course. The man can drive! Just ask Kenny from the Block how many minutes he finishes behind him on WRC stages. I liked the side-by-side they did a few years ago in Xgames, should of stayed with that format

Mason
12 WRX Sedan OBP - RA mudflaps and stock!
12 Impreza Sedan Premium ISM - old lady's ride
#54 Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mosc, you're not going to hear me arquing. Most of the global rally cross events are just too narrow and too short. Because they're half ass courses on a NASCAR or indy car track. X-games was the first track to have dirt on it at all. Which is sad. I watched a ERC (European Rally Cross) event online last week and this is where the sport became popular at first. The race was a lot better in Norway, then what I've witnessed in the states so far. Bigger track and more oppurtunity to pass. Still a motorcycle race of sorts with cars, but a lot better executed. A lot of people on facebook that I have liked including two rally schools were not impressed with the x-games event and how it was ran. The only thing that people agreed upon is that Loeb is a rally god.

The other event you're thinking of Jmason is Super Rally. Where only two cars drove at a time until the last two cars raced to determine who was the best. I don't know why they canceled that event this year. I agree that it was a lot more entertaining to see two cars square off at a time then 4 cars going into the 1st corner where only one car can make it through.

Sent from my AT100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Kirt
#55 Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

So, just a reminder. This weekend will be a action packed with Rally America and Global Rally Cross both happening on the same weekend. The Rally America New England Forest Rally will be held in Maine on July 13-14. Mean while, the Global Rally Cross event will be held in New Hampshire with the final events being held on Saturday July 14th. The GRC event should be aired on ESPN or ESPN 2 at some point in the day. Hopefully not 1 am on Sunday like the Texas event. I'll edit with times tomorrow. Its bed time.

EDIT: The Global Rallycross is on ESPN this saturday 7 PM ET. Just make sure you extend the DVR timer just in case it runs over.

Kirt

Last edited by turmic; 07-11-2012 at 09:33 PM.
#56 Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/59637/can...ubaru-wrx-sti/

Kirt
#57 Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok so here is the update from this weekend.

First Rally America

Now a subaru might not have won the rally, but they did get this. The National Championship locked up with their 2nd place finish.

source: Rally America

1.Antoine L'Estage/Nathalie Richard 1:10:11.2
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

2.David Higgins / Craig Drew 1:10:32.2
2012 Subaru WRX STI

3.Ugo Desgreniers / Erik Kirby 1:16:45.3
2005 SUBARU WRX STI

4.Ramana Lagemann / Christine Beavis 1:16:50.4
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

5.Will Orders / Toni Feaver 1:18:37.3
1989 Nissan Silvia

6.Christopher Duplessis / Alexander Kihurani 1:19:18.9
2012 Ford Fiesta R2

7.David Sterckx / Karen Jankowski 1:20:45.4
2011 Subaru STI

8.Lauchlin O'Sullivan / Scott Putnam 1:21:18.9
2003 Mitsubishi Evo

9.Evan Cline / Grzegorz Dorman 1:22:08.8
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

10.Andrew Comrie-Picard / Jeremy Wimpey 1:22:19.2
2011 Scion xD

Global RallyCross

I won't spoil this one...watch it yourself.

Global RallyCross Championship - ESPN

Highlights: Pastrana Wins In New Hampshire - ESPN Video - ESPN

Full Event: Watch Global Rallycross Championship Live Online at WatchESPN

Ok, small spoiler at the end here.

1 Travis Pastrana

2 Samuel Hubinette

3 Brian Deegan

4 Tanner Foust

5 Ken Block

6 Andy Scott

7 Liam Doran

8 David Binks

9 Stephan Verdier

10 Dave Mirra

11 Bucky Lasek

12 Patrick Moro

13 Sverre Isachsen

14 Richard Burton

Kirt
#58 Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Some Rally America videos courtesy of Rally America's youtube page

Kirt