Quiting smoking - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Here's something else to think about... let's say you smoke a pack a day, and just for shts and giggles each pack costs you $5.

$5 a day x 365 days = $1825 a year

Think of all the car parts you could buy with 2 grand!!! You could put it toward a nice set of wheels, great tires, a pro-tune, bigger turbo, upgrade your transmission... The price alone is enough to keep me from even starting.

Good luck quitting everybody!

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
not to get all psychological but I (and many more qualified folks) feel strongly that this stuff mostly works on mental response. If you're READY and WILLING to give it a shot, it will often work even if it were just a friggin sugar pill. People often internalize the addiction into their own concept of self making it hard to remove (and thus stop). The drug, whatever it's chemistry, gives you an oportunity to separate the behavior from your idea of yourself.

Anyway, I'm just trying to encourage you! You should feel proud of yourself here, not just the drug.
Ya, I've been in the medical field for over 7 years now and I disagree with most of what you say. They obviously had to do several double blind studies to prove that the medication infact worked better than a placebo or sugar pill in order for it to be approved by the FDA. I looked in the medication drugbook on how their studies proved that vs the placebo the drug had a lot higher success rate. It obviously works in the manner which it's supposed to; by blocking the nicotine receptors. It's chemistry in all of it's glory...shit I tested that myself. I do agree however that one must be ready and WANT to quit before they dare trying. If you dont want it or you are doing for someone other than yourself you set yourself up to fail.

12.7 @ 109
#18 Old 04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
You don't smoke in that beautiful car of yours, do you Z?

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#19 Old 04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee View Post
You don't smoke in that beautiful car of yours, do you Z?
Ehhhem uh no...ehheeemmm

12.7 @ 109
#20 Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
all they test for is a statistically significant advantage. It doesn't mean that it's so dynamic for everyone. Drug testing is over-hyped. It's enough to catch most problems but not to fully evaluate effectiveness. Anyway, Glad it's working.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#21 Old 04-30-2008, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
"Increase in risk of SUICIDE" yet another "side effect"...Either way, I guess ya stop smoke'N!!!!

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
#22 Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
If you really get down to it quite a few drugs out there have a risk of depression. I take isotronin (accutane) cause i had hella bad acne. You have to sign all this stuff take monthly blood tests can only get a 30 day perscription at a time even though the treatment is 5 months long. Side affects are birth defects, suicidal thoughts/depression/LIVER FAILURE!!! and a few other things. those are some nasty ones right there, but I experienced none, except on one blood test I had elevated liver function, but then again that was 2 days after prom....

I have smoked cigs for like 2 years, which is nothing compared to you old fogeys, but i agree it is rough to try and quit. I cant imagine what it would be like after 15 yrs. good luck fellas.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#23 Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
I asked my MD about chantix, she said I was not a candidate because of a history of depression....and really, who dosen't have a history of depression? Anyways, I didn't take it and I still smoke, but my dad had a heart attack (#3) this weekend and now he's on a vent. So there's my motivation. Wish me luck. And by the way, people I work with have tried it and the only complaints I've heard of are stomach cramps and bad dreams.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#24 Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Like said before do it for no one else but yourself girl! It is all about the self, all you have is the self. I'm sorry to hear about your pops. My thoughts go out to you and your family. Good luck! Your lungs will thank you!

White Collar Hippie
#25 Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yesterday was the first day of absolutley zero smoking...and I would hate to be in my wifes shoes right now...because I know that my temper is short as ever and I'm more irritable than a pregnant lady that doesnt get her ice cream Today is sucking because I'm allready starting to cough up mounds of lung butter...did you say you want your toast buttered?? Cause I'll hook you right up!!! LOL. Zach

12.7 @ 109
#26 Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Better out than in I always say...

Imagine how much more air you can fit in there once all that crap comes out!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#27 Old 04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee View Post
Like said before do it for no one else but yourself girl! It is all about the self, all you have is the self. I'm sorry to hear about your pops. My thoughts go out to you and your family. Good luck! Your lungs will thank you!
Thanks for the support stagger I'm going to do it this time and that's all there is too it. I'll put $5 away every day and then my reward for not smoking will be my FMIC I've been waiting for

#28 Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Seriously fill your life with chores, hobbies and projects, soo much you will not have time to think about smoking. It worked for me. I like f-ing with my own head though, it keeps me busy.

White Collar Hippie
#29 Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Right, I'm so busy as it is that most of the time I forget to smoke. I only want one after eating and when driving. Someone told me that brushing your teeth when feeling the craving helps too. It seems to help, and I have the cleanest teeth in my county.

#30 Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

stebru is an unknown
Chantix is FDA approved drug and is used to get over smoking habit. It works on the body by giving you the same feel good effect as smoking and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. Along with having chantix, you should also have will power and feeling that you want to get over this habit.There is one thing which I would like to share and which helped me a lot initially, try having a glass of water when you feel craving the most. It a tough road but it's worth so best luck to all those who want to give up smoking.

MOD: I removed your link. It seemed inappropriate for a totally non-WRX related first post.

Last edited by mosc; 06-05-2009 at 12:21 PM.