Quiting smoking - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quiting smoking

Ok, so I'm 29 and I've been smoking cigarettes since I was 15. I wanted to let all you smokers out there who want to quit know about a somehwat new drug on the market to help you out. It's called Chantix. Lets face it. anything that might help is a good idea. How it works and how it came to be:

A man in his mid 50's that smoked 2 packs a day had a stroke. Several days later he was recovering in the hospital...and long behold, his wife noticed he hadn't asked to smoke. she told the docs. They did some brain scans to find the area that the stroke had effected and some other tests that confirmed that those areas were the areas that had nicotine receptors. They made a drug to block those receptors and thats how Chantix was born.

I've been on it for a week now and my quit day was today. so far today I've smoked 3 ciggs compared to 1 pack. I still have the WANT to smoke which sucks...but, after 6 hours of not having one I smoked one...and no buzz...at all. so thats the trick...you get nothing from smoking which makes it pointless to keep smoking. Sorry for the long post but I think it's worth a try if you really want to quit. Z

PS. Put some positive energy out there for my long time friend Jerry H that got diagnosed with Leukemia last week. Also 29. Never smoked a cigarette in his life now on chemo.

12.7 @ 109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Thanks for that Z. I actually quit cold turkey when I knocked my wife up because she could smell everything. We are both now tobacco free but it was rough. I too smoked for 10+ years. I still crave them when I am drinking even after 3 years. Its rough. I was a complete a-hole for probably a month after stopping, but slowly got over it.

This will sound stupid but the way I quit was I would tell myself I would have a cig after I did something like change the oil for instance. By the time I was done I had forgotten I wanted one. I kept telling myself I would have one as a reward after I completed the next project or chore, and I always forgot by the time I was done. Each time I wanted one I would create a project or chore, and each time forgot by the time I completed it. It was psychological warfare on myself. eventually the cravings got less and less and it cigs started to smell bad to me. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

My moms a pharmacist and we were actually talking about this a drug a couple days ago because my brother still smokes. She said it is a breakthrough in medicine and seems to be realitively risk free.

Good luck Zman, the struggle is for the better. Our thoughts go out for your boy. I hope for the best for him. Cheers brother!

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
post #3 of 30 Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I smoked for 15 years and i woke up one mornig and coughed up this nasty lung cookie that was all bloody and shit, and i decided that was all i needed to see. i havent had a cig since.
wait until you can smell and taste things again, it pretty amazing how much smoking hinders those senses

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 30 Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 AM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
I have been thinking about quitting smoking for the last 5 years, damn it! I think i might this year... Oh, and f... druggs. A human being is stronger then some minor chemicals in you head. Well, maybe not me. We'll see.
Thanks for the post, it got me encouraged again...

drive = freedom
post #5 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
"Relatively Risk Free" ...Dude read the bottle...Risk of Psycosis!!!

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
post #6 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
it's easiest to not smoke if you can resist one right away in the morning. i try to not smoke before i go to bed.

its enough for me that i would rather breathe sometimes, and smoking just plain gets old.

i have been smoking rolling tobacco. 2.36 will last me about 3 days vs almost 5 bucks for a pack of class A's that you can just smoke all day at your convenience.

with the rollies you have to make the time to roll one up, and if you are not constantly puffing it puts itself out, so you only smoke half of one, or the other half later instead of a whole one.

i just have to fight the urge to not buy any more when i run out. i can substitute the addiction withother addictions like coffee or the occasional can of sparks.

i find i am hungry all the time when i don't smoke, but i like to eat. i can stand to work on my fat skills.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeohMit View Post
"Relatively Risk Free" ...Dude read the bottle...Risk of Psycosis!!!
LOL. Ya, there are def some crazy side effects....the worst thing in my case has been the occurence of some F%$D up dreams. I'm talkin dreams so real that when I wake up I still think I'm dreamin...dreams so nasty I have to take a shower...dreams so evil I had to go get my wife off the couch after we got in a fight and made her sleep in the bed with me I was so scared CRAZY SHIT. Some headaches here and there and some ancyness, but who knows if thats just from me not smoking...the dreams are very....unique...and I remember ALL of them too....

12.7 @ 109
post #8 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
...careful, please.

drive = freedom
post #9 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

RedWingKoz is an unknown
I just read on CNN last week that Chantix is under review because it seems to sometimes put people into a deep depression to the point they commit suicide. This extreme seems to happen to people who were or are already easily depressed. So...be careful.
post #10 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingKoz View Post
I just read on CNN last week that Chantix is under review because it seems to sometimes put people into a deep depression to the point they commit suicide. This extreme seems to happen to people who were or are already easily depressed. So...be careful.
ya, I knew about that before I started taking the med. But thanx for the heads up. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will take it off the market and offer money damages to "depression sufferers" Shit I'm depressed...I dont have PPG's and a 20G

12.7 @ 109
post #11 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 01:55 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Three helpful steps for breaking mental addiction:

1) Always smoke alone. If you must have a cigarette, make it an ANTI-Social activity instead of a social one. Make sure you smoke alone. Create a negative correlation with the cig in your mind.
2) Never smoke in your car. If you must have a cigarette, pull over, get out, and do it there. It's a major inconvenience and one that will discourage you from smoking. People get ingrained to smoke while driving which can be broken with this.
3) Buy cigarettes you DON'T like the taste of. Smoke something because you have to, not because you enjoy it.

Remember, it's not the nicotine itself that's the most addictive element, it's your own habits and mental addiction.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #12 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanoside View Post
LOL. Ya, there are def some crazy side effects....the worst thing in my case has been the occurence of some F%$D up dreams. I'm talkin dreams so real that when I wake up I still think I'm dreamin...dreams so nasty I have to take a shower...dreams so evil I had to go get my wife off the couch after we got in a fight and made her sleep in the bed with me I was so scared CRAZY SHIT. Some headaches here and there and some ancyness, but who knows if thats just from me not smoking...the dreams are very....unique...and I remember ALL of them too....
Holy $hit! Maybe I am talking about the wrong drug. lol That sounds like a bad acid trip. I'll have to hit my mom up now, and make she doesn't feed that crap to my brother. Is it working at least Zman? I suppose it would work if it turns you into a friggin lunatic and you forget who you are. :eek:

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
post #13 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I've read that long chain fatty acids will help "exchange" fat in the body (and the chemicals stored in those fats). A positive side effect is that it also helps to even out the volatile mood swings after quitting. I read this on some Christian Scientology website that I stumbled upon while I was panicking about having to take a pee test not too long ago.

I can't find that website again but here's one that explains (in non-scientific terms) the benefits of "fish oil." Pure Fish Oil - Pure Fish Oil

However, I found a product at the local vitamin store that is (produced by TwinLab) emulsified EPA/DHA and much more potent. I found it to help (as I mentioned above). But like zmanoside mentioned previously, nightmare to good dream ratio (for me after quitting cold turkey) was 13:1 and lasted for 5 weeks at least, every night.

Some may call the content of this post crazy, but I wouldn't waste your time if that was the case (from my perspective).

The power is in the choice, and you have the power to choose!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #14 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well, I can say that it's def working. This is how I can tell that it's working....I conducted some tests. Example: So you smokers know that if you smoke a lot ie. 1 pack a day, that if for some reason you cant have a smoke for more than lets say 6 hours...when you DO finally have that cig you get a fat buzz from the nicotine, and you cant help but LOVE that buzz...well, yesterday I smoked a full cig after not having one for over 12 hours....NO BUZZ...thats really why this drug makes sense...if there is NOTHING to get out of a smoke then WHY SMOKE IT??? Thats how I feel about it anyway. I've tried EVERY drug on the market over the past 15 years to help me quit and obviously it hasn't worked...maybe I'm just weak minded but over the years I enjoyed smoking...

12.7 @ 109
post #15 of 30 Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
not to get all psychological but I (and many more qualified folks) feel strongly that this stuff mostly works on mental response. If you're READY and WILLING to give it a shot, it will often work even if it were just a friggin sugar pill. People often internalize the addiction into their own concept of self making it hard to remove (and thus stop). The drug, whatever it's chemistry, gives you an oportunity to separate the behavior from your idea of yourself.

Anyway, I'm just trying to encourage you! You should feel proud of yourself here, not just the drug.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement